California Department of Motor Vehicles

Last Updated :

Vehicle Registration
Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit is obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they are employed in California, claim a homeowner’s exemption in the state, rent or lease a residence in California, intend to live or be located in the state on a permanent basis or enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll dependents in school (K-12).

To register a nonresident vehicle you will need:
• An application signed by all registered owners as they appear on the out-of-state registration and/or title
• Out-of-state title
• Registration certificate or renewal notice for the current year
• Vehicle inspection by an authorized DMV employee
• Smog certificate, if applicable
• Weight certificate, if applicable

Registration fees vary, the exact amount will be determined when your application is processed. For an estimate use the online Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator at www.mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb.

Clean Air Decals
DMV-issued Clean Air Vehicle decals, yellow or white, allow the vehicle to be operated by a single occupant in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) or carpool lanes of California’s freeways. For more information on obtaining a Clean Air Vehicle decal, visit www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm.

Applying for a Driver License
If you have a license from another country, you will also be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived.

To apply for a California driver license you will need to:
• Complete application form DL 44. (An original DL 44 form is required, copies will not be accepted.)
• Give a thumb print and have your picture taken
• Provide your Social Security number
• Provide your birth certificate or residency documents
• Pass a vision exam
• Pass a traffic laws and sign test. (You have three chances to pass the 36-question test.)
• Pay the application fee

Financial Responsibility Requirements
Insurance is required on any vehicle operated or parked on California roadways. You must carry proof of insurance in your vehicle.

Minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles is $15,000 for injury/ death to one person, $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person and $5,000 for damage to property (California Insurance Code §11580.1b).

DMV Offices
San Bernardino County
1310 N.Waterman Ave.
San Bernardino, CA 92404
(800) 777-0133
3668 Adobe Road G-J
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277
(800) 777-0133


© 2019 - MARCOA Media