1. Information
  2. Family Resources

Family Resources

Last Updated :

Family Resources

29 Palms Family Resources


Packing up and moving from one place to another can be stressful, especially when kids and pets are involved, so knowing where to find pertinent information and who to call can be helpful.

Local Government

Websites for local governments are valuable resources for newcomers to San Bernardino County because they can provide links to other residents, local businesses and public safety agencies. These sites offer up-to-date information on municipal contacts, weather and local events from festivals to city council meetings.

State of California

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino County Convention & Visitors Bureau

Twentynine Palms

Twentynine Palms Convention & Visitors Bureau

Joshua Tree

Yucca Valley

Public Safety

California Highway Patrol
Morongo Basin Office
63683 29 Palms Highway
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(760) 366-3707
Motorists can get updates on road conditions by calling one of the road condition hotlines maintained by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans). From within California: 800-427-ROAD (7623). From outside California: (800) 427-7623.

The Caltrans website, www.dot.ca.gov/cgibin/roads.cgi, also carries road information.



San Bernardino Sheriff’s Office
Morongo Basin Station
63665 29 Palms Highway
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(760) 366-4175

Fire and Rescue


Twentynine Palms Fire Department
(760) 367-7524

San Bernardino County Fire Department

Lucerne Valley Station 8
(760) 248-7322

Joshua Tree Station 36
(760) 366-8423
(760) 366-7894

Yucca Valley Station 41
(760) 228-2160
Yucca Valley Station 42
(760) 228-1991

California Department of Forestry (seasonal)
(760) 248-7525

Family, Children and Child Care Services

California Health and Human Services Agency
San Bernardino County
(916) 654-3454
The California Health and Human Services Agency’s departments include: Aging, Alcohol and Drug Programs, Child Support Services, Community Services and Development, Developmental Services, Emergency Medical Services Authority, Department of Health Care Services, Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board, Mental Health, Managed Health Care, Public Health, Rehabilitation, Social Services and Statewide Health Planning and Development.

County of San Bernardino Department of Workforce Development
(help for job-seekers)

County of San Bernardino Human Services System
Transitional Assistance Department
(welfare department list)
(909) 388-0245
(877) 410-8829

Tips for Choosing Child Care

Moving to a new city presents many challenges for families, and the task of finding quality care for children in a new location can be particularly daunting. Fortunately, finding a caregiver in a new city doesn’t have to depend on guesswork. The following steps can assist you in finding the type of care arrangement that will best suit your family’s needs.

Identify Your Needs and Expectations
When it comes to choosing child care, there are a number of arrangements available, including family child care homes, child care centers, nannies and nanny shares. A child care provider’s location, facilities and academic and social programs will also factor into your decision. Make a list of your ideal caregiver qualities before you start your search.

Plan Ahead
Waiting lists for care vary widely depending on the type of caregiver you are seeking. If possible, start contacting your preferred caregivers several months prior to the date you’ll need them. The California Child Care Resource & Referral Network, a state-funded operation, can put a wealth of information at your fingertips about every county in California.

These organizations provide free information on choosing child care, referrals to child care centers and family child care homes, and information on how to pay for child care. To find an R&R, call (800) 543-7793 or check out the map on the website. San Bernardino County is the largest county on the far right.


Verify Licensure
The California Child Care Licensing Program licenses and monitors family child care homes and child care centers to ensure that they provide safe, healthy environments. Confirm a potential provider’s licensing by going to the website www.ccld.ca.gov/PG411.htm.

Screen by phone
Your initial conversation with a provider will help you know if their services are a good fit for your family.

Make an initial visit
Try to plan your first visit to a provider without your child so you can ask detailed questions and assess the situation without distractions.

Ask for program details
The provider should be able to give you a clear, concise description of philosophy, programs, curriculum and facilities.

Ask about accommodations for special needs (if applicable)
By law, child care programs must make reasonable accommodations for children with special needs. Discuss your child’s needs with prospective providers and ask how those needs would be handled.

Make a second visit with your child
Schedule your visit during business hours and note the interaction between your child and the caregivers, as well as the interactions between your child and the other children.

Close the deal
If the provider is a good fit for your family, ask for a contract. Make sure you understand all of the provider’s policies and procedures before you sign it.


Relocating is stressful for the whole family, including the pets, and some animals do not respond well to changes in their routines and surroundings. Here are a few tips to make your pet’s move less traumatic.

• Before moving be sure to get all records from your veterinarian.

• On moving day, secure your pets in a safe place, such as a bathroom, and be sure to alert the movers.

• Make sure to bring your pet’s bowls, food, medications and favorite toys with you.

• When you get to your new home, set up your pet’s bed and food area as soon as possible

• Find a vet. See the yellow pages of this guide for local veterinarians.

Steps to keep your pet from being lost during the move
• Keep a collar with an ID tag with your current phone number on your pet at all times.

• Microchip your pets, especially if they are good at wiggling out of their collars. It’s important to keep your contact information up to date so the chip can easily connect your pet to you. Animal shelter and vet clinics can scan for microchips.

• Have a current license on your dog – the ID assigned to animals by the city. It’s another way your dog can be connected with you.

• Keep cats indoors; it’s much safer for them. Cats are domestic animals and don’t need to be outside. Give them a post to scratch, a window to perch in, and plenty of toys and they will love the great indoors.

Animal Services
State Humane Association of California
P.O. Box 2098
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(510) 525-2744

Morongo Basin Humane Society
4646 Sunview Ave.
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(760) 366-3786

Palms N Paws Animal Shelter
7086 Bullion Ave.
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277
(760) 367-0157

San Bernardino County Animal Care & Control
(800) 472-5609

Yucca Valley Animal Control
(760) 365-3111


© 2020 - MARCOA Media