Corry Station is one of the Navy’s technical training showplaces. The base is about 5 miles north of NAS Pensacola.
The original Corry Field had its beginnings in 1923, in a remote area north of Pensacola. By 1926, it became apparent that the meager facilities of this site would no longer suffice. The number of pilots being trained was on the increase, and a growing city of Pensacola began to encircle the flying field. In 1927, a 530-acre tract of land was acquired by the government, the gift of Escambia County, for relocation of the landing field. The present site was dedicated Corry Field on Nov. 1, 1928. Construction of permanent buildings began in 1933, and on Dec. 8, 1934, the field was commissioned as an auxiliary base field under the Naval Air Training Center.
The station’s name honors the memory of Medal of Honor recipient Lt. Cmdr. William M. Corry Jr., who died as a result of burns received while attempting to rescue a fellow officer from a crashed and burning aircraft. Corry was one of naval aviation’s pioneers, having been among the first aviators to receive the Navy’s wings of gold.
In its early years, Corry Field was an active Navy aviation training command used for advanced fighter plane training. Redesignated as a Naval Auxiliary Air Station in 1943, the field continued to serve as a training center for naval aviators throughout World War II and the Korean hostilities until its decommissioning in 1958.
The site, once dedicated to flight training, shifted gears in 1960 with the arrival of the first class of communications technicians — later called cryptologic technicians. Hangars were converted to classrooms, and laboratories were stocked with sophisticated communications training equipment. Corry was commissioned the Naval Communications Training Center, Corry Station as the facility’s mission became more diversified with the addition of the Naval Schools of Photography and the Consolidated Navy Electronics Warfare School.
The command was among the first Navy technical schools to achieve accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Since 1975, this accreditation has assured that instruction is of the same quality as that offered in the best civilian vocational institutions and that students may receive college-level credit for completed courses.
In January 1990, the center’s training capability expanded even further as the first classes convened at the Optics, Instrumentation, Instructor and Information Systems School. From 1995 to 1999, Corry Station served as host of multiservice electronic warfare training with the addition of the Joint Aviation Electronic Warfare School.
The primary mission of the commands at Corry Station today is to provide technical and military training in information operations, cryptology, information technology, information warfare and instructor training to produce well-trained, motivated and disciplined personnel in support of U.S. and allied operational forces.
The Center for Information Dominance (CID) is the most senior staff on Corry Station. The CID headquarters’ offices and largest learning site are onboard Corry Station, with other detachments throughout the continental U.S., Hawaii and Japan. CID graduates approximately 16,000 students annually.
Corry Station also hosts the Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC) Pensacola and various other staff.
Its role has changed over the years, but traditional pride still dwells within the Corry Station education complex as it continues to provide the finest and best-trained personnel in the military.