Need help with a legal matter? The Region Legal Services Office, located on Naval Submarine Base New London, provides prompt, courteous and professional legal assistance to military personnel, dependents and Reservists (on active duty for 30 days or more). Assistance is also provided to retirees as resources permit. The legal office is on the lower level of Building 84 (Gilmore Hall).
Call the Legal Assistance Office to schedule an appointment with an attorney. Services are available 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, through Thursday; and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Fridays. Each appointment is 30 minutes long, and you should arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment time. Powers of attorney and notaries are available on a walk-in basis Monday through Friday.
Types of services provided include, but are not limited to:
- Adoptions in Connecticut.
- Advance medical directives.
- Criminal matters (minor civilian).
- Divorce and domestic relations.
- Immigration and naturalization.
- Landlord-tenant issues.
- Legal readiness.
- Military rights and benefits.
- Name changes in Connecticut.
- Notary services.
- Powers of attorney.
- Small claims court in Connecticut.
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
- Wills and estate planning.
Areas of responsibility for the Regional Legal Service Office, Mid-Atlantic Detachment Groton include Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and the northeastern territories of Canada.