1. Information
  2. Getting To & Around

Getting To & Around

Last Updated :

Kitsap County

NB KITSAP Getting To and Around Kitsap County


The small county of Kitsap connects to the eastern shore of Puget Sound by Washington State Ferries routes, including the Seattle-Bremerton Ferry, Southworth to West Seattle via Vashon Island, Bainbridge Island to Downtown Seattle, and from Kingston to Edmonds, Washington.

For those flying, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (known as SeaTac) offers travelers many major air carriers.

The county provides public transportation, including rush hour and full-day buses, passenger ferries and a rideshare program.


Seattle-Tacoma International Airport

17801 International Blvd.
Seattle, WA 98158


Sea-Tac Airport, approximately 43 miles from Naval Base Kitsap, served more than 46.9 million travelers in 2017. Major carriers include Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. Ground transportation includes bus, light rail, taxi, shuttle and rental car service.


Kitsap Transit

60 Washington Ave., Suite 200
Bremerton, WA 98337


Kitsap Transit carries approximately 4 million riders each year. The transit company offers a multi-program system including routed buses, ACCESS services for the elderly and disabled, a vanpool rideshare program, park-and-ride lots and a passenger-only ferry between Bremerton and Port Orchard and Bremerton and Annapolis. For more information, visit Kitsap Transit’s website.



Driving and Commuting

NB KITSAP Getting To and Around Driving and Commuting


Kitsap County is largely surrounded by water, making it accessible almost exclusively via ferries and bridges. The county connects to nearby Jefferson County and the Olympic Peninsula by the Hood Canal Bridge. Once in the area, several highways will take you to the naval base and other parts of the county, including state routes 3, 16 and 104. To reach Kitsap County from Seattle or Edmonds, just hop aboard one of four Washington state ferries or travel across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge located a short distance from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

The Washington State Department of Transportation offers commuter options at www.wsdot.wa.gov/choices. The department’s website also provides real-time traffic information. Registered users can receive email or text alerts for current traffic conditions, mountain pass reports, construction updates and more. Visit www.wsdot.wa.gov and click on “Email/text updates” in the upper right-hand corner of the home page for more information.

Washington State Department of Licensing


The Washington State Department of Licensing issues driver’s licenses, identification cards and vehicle registration and provides other driving-related services. Find many of the required forms and general information at the department’s website. For a full list of driver license and vehicle license offices, visit www.dol.wa.gov/officelocations.html?fldt.

Driver’s Licenses

Military personnel and their spouses may continue to drive with a valid driver’s license from their home state, but in general, all Washington residents who want to drive must apply for a driver’s license within 30 days of their move to the state.

The state spells out what is required for licensing and insurance under various scenarios in its Washington Driver Guide at www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/docs/driverguide-en.pdf.

Military members and veterans may be entitled to certain DMV exemptions and allowances. For more information, visit the website.

Distracted Driving

The state of Washington prohibits drivers from making calls on handheld wireless telephones while operating a motor vehicle. Texting while driving is also forbidden.

Vehicle Registration

Visit www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/registervehicle.html for information on how to register your vehicle in Washington.
Nonresident military personnel may continue to use license plates from their home of record or plates issued from a foreign jurisdiction other than their official home of record until they expire. Additional registration information for military personnel is available at www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/military-inwa.html. Applications associated with driving and vehicle registration are available at www.dol.wa.gov/forms.html?fldt.

Washington State Department of Transportation


Visit the Washington State Department of Transportation website for interactive maps, information about road closures and travel advisories, information on state ferries and to view live traffic cameras.


© 2020 - MARCOA Media