1. Information
  2. Motor Vehicles

Motor Vehicles

Last Updated :

Registration & Licensing Requirements

California State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the Military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving. Access complete information on insurance, driver’s licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the State Department of Motor Vehicles website.

State Laws

You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving, you will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 6 years of age be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat.

Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

Many States and local jurisdictions have strict laws about the use of cell phones and other digital devices while driving. Research these laws on the State Department of Motor Vehicles website. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a “hands free” device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving. Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Operating a POV on Station

Vehicle registration papers and a valid operator's permit from your home state are needed to operate a privately owned vehicle both on and off Station. Drivers from other states should also get a valid California driver's license promptly. Active Duty Military and their dependents can retain their out of state License as long as their AD status does not change or they are not a CA resident. Reservists and retirees are not applicable.

Decals and Registration

Decals are not mandated onboard the installation if accessing the main side of the installation but in order to access secured areas such as the Flight line and Ranges a decal is required. To obtain a decal the Pass & ID office is located outside the main gate on China Lake Blvd, contact info 760-939-3160. Please have your vehicle registration and proof of insurance available.


© 2019 - MARCOA Media