NAS JACKSONVILLE

1960-1969

Last Updated :
MARCOA Media

Jacksonville_2019 NAS Jacksonville 1940-Present 1960-1969

 

Aug. 10, 1961: Station insignia, still used today, is established.

April 16, 1962: Navy’s first Aircraft Maintenance Radiography School opens at Naval Air Technical Training Unit (NATTU).

Oct. 1, 1963: A detachment of VP-45 arrives. Homeport of VP-5 changes from NAS Bermuda to NAS Jacksonville.

Jan. 1, 1964: VP-45 changes homeport from NAS Norfolk to NAS Jacksonville, assigned to PATWING-11.

March 13, 1964: First P3A “Orion” aircraft at NAS Jacksonville arrive for operational duty and take first flight with VP-45.

July 30, 1964: Patrol squadron VP-30 receives first P-3 Orion.

May 16, 1965: CPO Club building (corner of Yorktown/McFarland) is destroyed by fire.

July 14, 1966: Ground is broken for $12 million Hangar 1000, used by the patrol squadrons.

Aug. 5, 1966: Patrol squadron VP-5 retires last active duty SP-2E Neptune aircraft
(BUNO 131526).

Nov. 29, 1967: Final helicopter, SH-3H, is completed at Naval Air Rework Facility (NARF), ending its Helicopter Rework Program; 2,123 helicopters were reworked since 1959.

April 25, 1968: The Douglas A-1H Skyraider of VA-176 is phased out in ceremonies at NAS Jacksonville. This was the Navy’s last piston-engine carrier-based attack squadron and the last to operate the A-1 “SPAD.” NAS Jacksonville-based VA-176 is moved to NAS Oceana.

Oct. 7, 1969: Patrol squadron VP-7 is disestablished.

 

MILITARY TRUSTED BUSINESSES

© 2019 - MARCOA Media