Starting Public School

Last Updated :

San Diego Starting Public School

Upon enrolling your child in any school site, parents must present the following documentation:

  • Proof of residency. This can be a utility bill, rental agreement, mortgage document or Lincoln Military Housing Agreement.
  • Proof of immunizations against polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), diphtheria, whooping cough and tetanus, or a permanent medical exemption.
Students new to California must also provide:

Proof of immunization against chickenpox or proof of having had chickenpox.

Kindergarten and first-grade students new to the district or attendance area:

  1. Must provide a copy of a birth certificate, baptismal certificate or passport.
  2. Must present proof of vaccination against hepatitis B and chickenpox.
  3. Children must be 5 years of age or older, on or before Sept. 1, to be eligible to attend kindergarten.

A transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Pursuant to law (EC 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between Sept. 2 and Dec. 2. For more information on transitional kindergarten in California, go to

All first-grade students:

Must provide proof of recent physical examination.

Must be at least 6 years old by Sept. 1 of the school year.

All seventh-grade students:

Must provide proof of vaccination against chickenpox, hepatitis B and a second MMR vaccination. (This can be turned in at registration for new students or on the first day of school for continuing students.)


© 2020 - MARCOA Media