Carlisle Barracks Community
The Hessian Powder Magazine is one of the oldest buildings on Carlisle Barracks. Built in 1777, it is open daily for self-guided tours. (Photo by Scott Finger, September 2006)
Carlisle Barracks is the second oldest Army installation, dating back to 1745, when British soldiers created the “Camp near Carlisle.” In December 1776, the Continental Congress authorized establishment of an ordnance center at Washingtonburg, as the barracks was called during the Revolutionary War. Carlisle Barracks was the home of the Indian Industrial School where the all-American football halfback Jim Thorpe attended. Carlisle Barracks is now an Installation Management Agency installation supporting the U.S. Army War College, a field operating agency of the U.S. Army, which educates and prepares military officers for leadership at the highest levels.
For a full history of Carlisle Barracks, visit http://carlislebarracks.carlisle.army.mil/history.htm.