Fort Gordon Community
Camp Gordon, named for Confederate Lt. Gen. John Brown Gordon, was activated for infantry and armor training during World War II. During the war, its 55,000 acres served as a divisional training base for the 4th and 26th Infantry Divisions and the 10th Armored Division that fought in Europe in Gen. George S. Patton’s Third Army. (The inactivated 10th Armored Division still calls Fort Gordon home.)
After World War II, more than 85,000 officers and enlisted personnel were discharged from Camp Gordon’s Army Personnel Center. Other facilities included a U.S. Disciplinary Barracks and, beginning in 1943, a prisoner of war camp for German and Italian World War II captives.
Camp Gordon, almost deserted after June 1948, came to life in September 1948 with the establishment of the Signal Corps Training Center. The post’s training mission grew with the addition of the Military Police School in September 1948 and the activation of the Engineer Aviation Unit Training Center in January 1949 (the latter remained at Camp Gordon for only one year).
The Korean conflict again placed Camp Gordon center stage in preparing Soldiers for combat. In addition to communications personnel at the Signal Training Center’s Signal Corps Replacement Training Center and Signal Unit Training Group, MPs trained for combat assignments while the 51st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Brigade formed three detachments before moving to Camp Stewart, Ga. In 1950, the installation became the site for Military Government Training for the Army. Also during the decade, Camp Gordon was home to the only Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory in the continental United States as well as a Rehabilitation Training Center and a U.S. Disciplinary Barracks. In 1953, the Basic Replacement Training Center and the Advanced Leader’s School provided basic training and advanced leadership training (both were inactivated in 1955). The Civil Affairs School arrived in 1955 as part of the Civil Affairs and Military Government School. Camp Gordon, becoming a permanent Army installation on March 21, 1956, was redesignated Fort Gordon. The U.S. Army Training Center (Basic) was activated here in 1957.
During the Vietnam War, infantry, military police and signal Soldiers trained at Fort Gordon. While Signal Corps training continued to expand throughout the 1960s, other activities ceased through postwar deactivations and the Military Police School’s move to Fort McClellan, Ala. In June 1962, all activities of the Signal Corps Training Center were reorganized under the U.S. Army Southeastern Signal School. Designating the installation the U.S. Army Signal Center and Fort Gordon, the Army consolidated all communications training at Fort Gordon on Oct. 1, 1974. The arrival of the Army’s Computer Science School was only part of the impetus for the fort’s tremendous growth during the 1980s. The following decade found its Mobilization Command deploying numerous troops to Southwest Asia during Operation Desert Shield Desert Storm (1990-1991).
Fort Gordon figures prominently in the post-Cold War national defense. Still the “Home of the Signal Regiment,” it also supports the 35th Signal Brigade, 513th Military Intelligence Brigade, the National Security Agency/Central Security Service Georgia and the 7th Signal Command (Theater).
U.S. Army Garrison, Fort Gordon
The U.S. Army Garrison at Fort Gordon operates the installation on behalf of the Signal Center of Excellence and the other units and organizations that reside on Fort Gordon. The garrison supports the post through directorates and agencies that provide a full range of city services and quality-of-life functions — everything from facilities maintenance, recreation and family programs to training support and emergency services.
The major organizations that make up the bulk of the U.S. Army Garrison include the Directorates of Public Works; Logistics; Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation; Human Resources; Emergency Services; and Plans, Training Mobilization and Security. Additional staff offices that support the installation mission include the Public Affairs Office, the Religious Support Office, the Resource Management Office, the Equal Employment Opportunity Office, the Installation Safety Office, and the Plans, Analysis and Integration Office. Other partners who work closely with the garrison include the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center, the Mission and Installation Contracting Command and the Joint Personal Property Shipping Office.
The garrison is part of the Atlantic Region of the Installation Management Command. IMCOM operates Army installations around the world.
The mission of the U.S. Army Garrison at Fort Gordon is to deliver installation services, facilities and infrastructure to best support mission readiness and provide an enhanced quality of life for the Soldiers, families and civilians of Fort Gordon and the Gillem Enclave. The organization’s vision is an installation with strong ties and a bold future, providing the highest possible standards in services, facilities and infrastructure that is fully supportive of its diverse military operational community.
The Gillem Enclave was established on Sept. 15, 2011, when the former Fort Gillem was officially closed as a result of 2005 Base Realignment and Closure directives. The Enclave occupies about 260 acres retained after Fort Gillem closed and hosts a wide variety of military organizations from both the active and Reserve components. Among the more prominent residents of the Enclave are the U.S. Army Criminal Investigations Laboratory, the Army’s only forensics laboratory, and the 3rd Medical Deployment Support Command.
The U.S. Army Garrison at Fort Gordon now provides command and control and support to the Enclave, which remains the home of about 1,300 civilian employees and active Army, Army Reserve and National Guard Soldiers. Although the Enclave is not classified as a full service installation or sub-installation, Fort Gordon supplies its organizations and activities with a broad range of installation-type services.