Automotive Skills Center
7753 Apennines Drive 785-239-9764/4028
Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; closed Monday and Tuesday
- Open bays with complete tool sets and roll around benches.
- 15 suspension lift bays, including a 12,000-pound lift bay that supports the vehicle by its tires.
- Complete tool room.
- Auto parts store.
- Paint booth.
- State-of-the-art engine rebuild and machine shop.
- Inline fuel filter removal bay.
- Mitchell On-Demand reference library on DVD for both European and domestic cars (1984-2007) with color-coded diagrams, updated repairs and trouble codes.
- Trained mechanics available for assistance and advice.
- Engine rebuilds: The engine-rebuild shop has a hot tank that will clean your manifold, heads and block within 30 minutes.
- Free automotive classes: While your Soldier is deployed, it is time to learn more about the vehicle you’re driving. Why not take advantage of the free automotive repair class?
- Free 25-point vehicle check available to family members of deployed Soldiers. Patrons must have verification of Soldier or unit deployment, ID card and the vehicle registration or title.
- Overnight parking.
- Tire mounting, balancing and repair.
- Engine computer monitor.
- Air conditioning service.
- Front end alignment.
- Brake drums and rotors turned.
- Hydraulic press.
- Welding services.
- Flywheel grinding.
- McPherson strut replacement.
- Broken bolt removal.
- Pack wheel bearings.
- Engine rebuilding services.
- Ball joint installation and removal.
- Fuel injector cleaning.
- Valve grinding.
Car trouble? The wrecker service will tow your vehicle to the Auto Skills Center from anywhere within a 40-mile radius. The impound fee is $12.50 per day. Call 785-239-9764/4028 for towing fees.
7756 Apennines Drive
Make your car look brand new again at the Automotive Skills Center Car Wash. The car wash has the following for your use: a change machine, vacuum cleaners, a wax and drying area, and an eight-bay car wash area.
The Automotive Skills Center body shop is open for business, providing technical skills and continuous education. Patrons must complete hands-on training before utilizing the body shop area.
Air Conditioning Service
The Automotive Skills Center professional staff mechanics will service your air conditioner at a fraction of the cost of downtown dealer and repair shops.
Mac Mentor is a high-tech system with OBD11 smart cards and a scope probe for European and domestic cars, Mercedes, Toyota, Volkswagen, BMW, Audi, Land Rover, Porsche, Jaguar, Saab and Volvo models from 1986-2005, and domestic cars from 1984-2006.
The Mitchell On-Demand reference library on DVD has manuals for both European and domestic cars from 1984-2007 with color-coded diagrams, repairs and trouble codes.
Auto Mechanics Skills Class
Basic safety orientations and lift training are held at 6 p.m. every Thursday. There is a fee of $10 per person. The class will consist of a safety brief and proper utilization of tools and equipment such as: personal protective equipment, personal protective clothing and lifts. In order to earn a DA Form 3031 qualification card (required to use the Automotive Skills Center’s service area) the individual will be asked to demonstrate how to operate the equipment and lifts in accordance with established procedures outlined in this class.
The DA Form 3031 qualification card expires two years from the date it is issued. Individuals must register one week prior to the class in order to attend by calling 785-239-9764.