Fort Riley Community

Fort Riley
Renting In The Local Area

Renting In The Local Area

Your point of contact for any questions you may have concerning off-post housing is the Housing Services Office. The following information is to assist military families who will be renting a home in the off-post communities surrounding Fort Riley:

All rental units must be approved by Housing Services Office prior to occupancy by a military family. The unit must pass either the city inspection or the Housing Services Office Health and Safety inspection.

Ensure that the lease contains a written military clause that would enable you to terminate your lease in the event that you receive PCS orders or deployment orders longer than 90 days. Otherwise, you would be liable for the remainder of the rent due until the end of your lease.

Caution: The military clause does not cover ETS or acceptance of government quarters. Accepting government quarters is not justification to break a lease or rental agreement.

When you are considering potential rental units, do not allow yourself to be rushed, inspect thoroughly and ask plenty of questions.

Determine the total amount you will be required to pay for rent and deposits, including deposits on utilities and for security and cleaning. Most landlords require a cleaning/damage deposit equal to one month’s rent. You will also be required to pay the first month’s rent in advance. Will you be required to pay utilities? If so, how much?

If you plan to get a pet, be sure you will be allowed to keep it at the place you rent. Most facilities in the area do not allow pets. Others will allow you to have a pet, but will require a deposit for your pet not to exceed one-half of a month’s rent.

Be sure you read all documents you sign very carefully. Remember, once you have signed the lease, you have entered into a legal contract. The landlord is the only one who can let you out of the lease unless the landlord is negligent in his part of the contract. Verbal agreements will not stand up in court. All agreements must be written and acknowledged by both parties.

To protect yourself, as well as the landlord, you should perform a walk-through of the property together upon move-in and again when you move out. This document should be signed by both parties and each should get a copy.

Get a receipt for all money paid with each item listed separately. Make sure you get a copy of the rental agreement and anything else you might have signed.

Renter’s insurance should be carefully considered. Should your household items be damaged or lost due to a fire, burglary, flood, broken pipes, etc., items lost would be replaced at your expense unless you have renter’s insurance. Also, under certain conditions, you may be liable for property belonging to the landlord, including the building and its contents.

Related Posts
navy asvab test scorenavy asvab test score
On Monday, December 5, 2022, the Navy announced that they will now accept new recruits who receive a…
[iframe src=”,FH&des=&wbi=4&olc=000099&whf=4&hfc=FFCC66&wif=4&ifc=000000&wbc=FFCB00&wbf=4&bfc=3D3100&wws=1&sfs=H600FW300F&langid=1033″]
Call of Duty EndowmentCall of Duty Endowment
The first Call of Duty Endowment Bowl would go to the U.S. Army, but it wouldn’t take long…