Hawaii – Coast Guard Community
Higher Education in Hawaii
Education opportunities are abundant both on and off base. A trip to your installation education office will avail numerous options. Some of the schools offering programs include the following:
University of Hawaii System: UH was established in 1907 and is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The University of Hawaii is the state’s sole public system of higher education. The UH System provides an array of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees and community programs on 10 campuses and through educational, training and research centers across the state. UH enrolls nearly 60,000 students from Hawaii, the U.S. mainland and around the world. For more information, visit www.hawaii.edu.
The 10 UH Campuses
- UH Manoa: The largest and oldest UH campus is located in a residential valley above Waikiki. Manoa offers undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees; a strong, vital research program; and nationally ranked NCAA Division I athletics.
- UH Hilo: The Big Island of Hawaii is a natural living laboratory of active volcanoes, deep oceans, the world’s best telescopes and a rich cultural landscape. UH Hilo bachelor’s and master’s degree programs take advantage of it all.
- UH West Oahu: With the lowest university tuition in Hawaii, this four-year institution offers high-quality education, personalized attention, and classes during the day, evening, weekends and online.
- UH Maui College: A tri-island college, Maui provides comprehensive opportunities, special programs and two bachelor’s degrees on Maui. It operates the UH Center on Maui, education centers in Hana and on Lanai and Molokai, and a pioneering television network that reaches rural areas.
- Hawaii Community College: Located in Hilo and administering Kona’s UH Center at West Hawaii, this Hawaii Island community college offers more than 30 associate degree, certificate and non-credit programs ranging from health services and hotel operations to business and trades.
- Honolulu Community College: Located near downtown Honolulu with additional facilities for aeronautic, marine, automotive and heavy equipment programs, this innovative community college offers a strong liberal arts curriculum in addition to a wide range of vocational and technological programs.
- Kapiolani Community College: On the slopes of Diamond Head, just minutes from Waikiki, UH’s largest community college started the Culinary Institute of the Pacific, promotes an international focus and provides programs in business, hospitality, health, legal education, and arts and sciences.
- Kauai Community College: A primary resource center and gathering place for the island’s residents and visitors, this community college in Lihue offers business, hospitality, health, early childhood education and liberal arts courses, and administers the UH Center on Kauai.
- Leeward Community College: This community college overlooking Pearl Harbor provides comprehensive opportunities from professional studies to liberal arts. Community outreach includes cultural activities on the main campus and an education center serving Waianae.
- Windward Community College: At the base of Oahu’s Ko’olau Mountains in Kaneohe, this supportive community college specializes in creative arts, environmental sciences and Hawaiian studies. It is home to the Office of University Partners, offering bachelor’s degree programs with classes on the Windward campus through partnerships with baccalaureate institutions.
The Shidler College of Business at the University of Hawaii at Manoa: The Shidler College of Business at University of Hawaii at Manoa: This professional college offers over 20 business degree programs designed for full-time and part-time students. Undergraduate majors include Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business, Management, Marketing, and Management Information Systems. This college also offers a Full-time MBA (with options in country-specific MBAs), Part-time MBA, Executive MBA, Distance Learning Executive MBA, Master of Human Resource Management, Master of Accounting, and dual master’s degrees in Law, Nursing, and Civil Engineering. In addition, the college offers a PhD in International Management. Renowned for its expertise in international management education, this college is consistently ranked among the best international business programs in the nation by U.S. News and is accredited by AACSB International. For more information, visit www.shidler.hawaii.edu.
Hawaii Pacific University: HPU is the largest private university in the State of Hawaii, with campuses in downtown Honolulu and Kaneohe and Education Centers at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Schofield Barracks, Tripler Army Medical Center, Sand Island Coast Guard Station, MCBH Kaneohe Bay and MCBH Camp Smith. HPU also has online programs and flexible course schedules to improve access to educational programs for military service members, their families, veterans and U.S. government civilian personnel. HPU is a participant in the Post 9/11 GI Bill’s Yellow Ribbon Program. For more information, go to www.hpu.edu/military.
Wayland Baptist University: Offers both bachelor’s degrees and vocational education programs.
Central Michigan University: Master’s of science in administration is offered.
University of Oklahoma: Offers fully accredited, in-residence master’s degree programs at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.
Chaminade University of Honolulu: Associate’s and bachelor’s degrees.
For more specific information, call your Installation Education Office or the base information line at 808-449-7110.
Installation Education Offices
Air Force — JBPHH………………. 808-449-6368
Army — Schofield Barracks……. 808-687-7093
Marine Corps — Kaneohe MCBH 808-257-2158
Camp Smith –
Call MCBH Office……………. 808-257-2158
Navy — JBPHH……………………. 808-473-5705
Hawaii State Department of Education JROTC Program Information
Aiea High School (Oahu)……….. 808-483-7324
Kailua High School (Oahu)…….. 808-266-7917
Kaiser High School (Oahu)……… 808-394-1228
Moanalua High School (Oahu)… 808-831-7904
Baldwin High School (Maui)…… 808-680-1370
Farrington High School (Oahu).. 808-832-3585
Hilo High School (Hawaii)
808-974-4021, ext. 2263
Kahuku High School (Oahu)…… 808-293-8910
Kaimuki High School (Oahu)….. 808-733-4912
Kapaa High School (Kauai)…….. 808-821-4401
Kealakehe High School (Hawaii) 808-327-4300
Konawaena High School (Hawaii) 808-325-4525
Leilehua High School (Oahu)….. 808-622-6565
McKinley High School (Oahu)… 808-594-0474
Mililani High School (Oahu)…… 808-627-4171
Nanakuli High School (Oahu)…. 808-668-5848
Punahou School (Oahu)…………. 808-944-5864
Roosevelt High School (Oahu)… 808-587-4600
Saint Louis School (Oahu)………. 808-739-4803
Waianae High School (Oahu)….. 808-697-7012
Waimea High School (Kauai)….. 808-338-6810
Waipahu High School (Oahu)….. 808-677-6640
Kapolei High School (Oahu)…… 808-692-8200
Campbell High School (Oahu)…. 808-680-1370
Kalaheo High School (Oahu)…… 808-254-7918
Radford High School (Oahu)…… 808-421-4214
Waiakea High School (Hawaii)… 808-974-4849