MCB Camp Pendleton Community
Privately owned motor vehicles operated on base must be registered within five days of arrival. All personnel reporting aboard are required to present an identification card, driver’s license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance to come aboard the base.
Base decals are available for a maximum period of three years for all military personnel. To register vehicles aboard Camp Pendleton, the following criteria must be met:
- Have a certificate of registration or possess written, notarized permission from the registered owner to operate the vehicle.
- Drivers 18 years or older must possess a driver’s license from their home state or California. Drivers under 18 must possess a California driver’s license or obtain a certificate of compliance (SR22) along with a driver’s license issued in their home state. Applications for SR22s are available through insurance companies.
- Have an insurance policy with a minimum of $15,000 bodily injury or death of one person, $30,000 bodily injury or death of two or more persons and $5,000 property damage.
- Family members must show Department of Defense ID card.
- All vehicles registered out of the state of California are required to possess proof of passing a California smog test (excluding diesel engines and vehicles 20 years or older).
- Service members under the age of 26 must possess a Driver Improvement Card (DIC).
The registered owner of the vehicle is responsible for compliance with base regulations pertaining to the registration of the vehicle, safety inspection, etc. However, the person operating the vehicle is responsible for observance of all traffic regulations.