15 OF THE BEST GRAND FORKS AFB THINGS TO DO
By Chris Walker
IntroductionYou’ve received orders to Grand Forks Air Force Base, far in the great white north. You’ve unpacked the house, put the kids in school, gone to REI to stock up on cold weather clothes and snow boots, and you’ve checked into your new unit. Now what? There’s plenty of wilderness to explore. Here’s a short list of things to do on Grand Forks AFB and in the surrounding area of Grand Forks, ND to get you started. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-3) Outdoor Recreation (4) Aquatic Center (5) Bowling (6) Golf Course (7) Movie Theater (8) Auto Hobby Shop (9-10) Fitness Centers (11-12) Shopping (13-15) Nearby Attractions
Suggested Read:Grand Forks AFB: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
Grand Forks AFB Things To Do
Grand Forks AFB Outdoor Recreation
1. Outdoor Recreation784 Eielson St. Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205
Phone: 1 (701) 747-3688 Grand Forks AFB Outdoor Recreation features a myriad of ways to enjoy different activities. There is a seasonal rod and gun club for skeet and trap shooting, hunting, fishing, and archery. There are rentals of tents, camping equipment, boats, RVs, kayaks and canoes, trailers, ice fishing shacks, snowmobiles, and more! Rent a bouncy house for your kid’s birthday or maybe just when you and the members of your unit decide to have a few beers and get silly. Outdoor Recreation also serves as the ticket and travel office, offering discounted theme park and hotel deals around the country for your next vacation.
2. Grand Forks ParksGrand Forks, ND The town of Grand Forks features 49 distinct parks throughout the town from dog parks, splash parks, state parks, ponds and lakes, sports complexes, playgrounds, pools, Japanese gardens, skateparks, and much more.
3. Flood Memorial MonumentThird Street and First Avenue North Grand Forks ND 58203
Phone: 1 (70) 746-2750 A remarkable monument located along the River Walk which honors rescue workers who worked during devastating floods in 1997. The monument shows the height of the flood waters which is impressive and terrifying at once.
Grand Forks AFB Aquatic Center
4. Aquatic Center449 Tuskegee Airman Blvd. Bldg. 384 Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205
Phone: 1 (701) 747-3305 The facility features an indoor, horseshoe shaped pool with areas designated for lap swim and recreational swimming. There are locker rooms with showers and trained lifeguards on duty at all times. The center offers swim lessons to all ages.
Grand Forks AFB Bowling Alley
5. Dakota Lanes529 Holzapple St. Bldg. 202 Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205
Phone: 1 (701) 747-3050 Dakota Lanes features 24 lanes with automatic scoring, locker rooms, snack bars, and full pro-shop. You can host events and parties or just enjoy a night out with friends over a friendly game.
Grand Forks AFB Golf Course
6. Plainsview Golf Course641 Alert Ave. Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205
Phone: 1 (701) 747-4279 Located conveniently on base, this 9-hole golf course provides a much needed escape from the day to day. This golf course is closed during the winter months, so make sure to check out their website to make sure they are open.
Grand Forks AFB Movie Theater
7. Reel Time Theater551 Holzapple St. Bldg. 204 Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205 The base theater shows the latest movies as well as familiar classics at very low prices. There is a full concession stand to enjoy your favorite snacks while you watch! Doors open 30 minutes before posted showtimes.
Grand Forks AFB Auto Hobby Shop
8. Auto Skills Center425 7th Ave. Bldg. 310 Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205
Phone: 1 (701) 747-3394 If you like working on cars, this auto hobby shop offers bay rentals where everyone from beginners to experienced self help enthusiasts can rent tools and ask professional mechanics for instructions to fix or upgrade their car for cheap.
Grand Forks AFB GymGrand Forks AFB offers a full fitness center and gymnasium as well as a huge outdoor HIIT area.
Note:All gyms are currently affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Be sure to call ahead to verify modified hours and COVID restrictions.
9. Fitness Center449 Tuskegee Airman Blvd. Bldg. 384 Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205
Phone: 1 (701) 747-3384 The fitness center features 24 hour access for those 18 and older. There is a cardio room, weight room, functional fitness room, basketball court, and field house. The center offers events and classes including spin classes, Zumba, dance, and more!
Grand Forks AFB
10. Spas and YogaGrand Forks AFB, ND Grand Forks features 22 different places for wellness and health such as yoga studios, horticultural societies, spas, healing touch therapy, fitness centers and spas.
Grand Forks Shopping
11. Columbia Mall2800 S Columbia Rd. Grand Forks, ND, 58201
Phone: 1 (701) 746-7383 Enjoy a day out shopping with more than 70 stores and a food court at this mall easily accessible from I-29.
12. Grand Cities Mall1726 S Washington Rd. Grand Forks, ND 58201
Phone: 1 (701)-772-8121 This mall features staple stores like K-Mart and ACE Hardware as well as over 40 locally owned businesses and services.
Grand Forks Attractions
13. River Cities Speedway2300 Gateway Dr. Grand Forks, ND 58203 Phone: 1 (701) 780-0999 Enjoy rally racing with good food and drinks at great prices for a fun outing with family friends!
14. University of North DakotaGrand Forks, ND 58202 Phone: 1 (701) 777-3000 The University, aside from its academic attraction, has lovely grounds, an interesting Aeronautics Center, and a football team, the Fighting Hawks! Attend a college game and all the fun that goes along with tailgating and cheering for the home team!
15. Gambling and CasinosGrand Forks, ND If you enjoy gambling, there are plenty of bars and casinos in the area which suit all tastes and games. From poker to slots, bingo and Kino, have a drink and try your luck!
ConclusionGrand Forks AFB is pretty far north but that doesn’t mean there isn’t anything to do, especially if you enjoy winter sports. As well, it’s a short drive to the Canadian border and Winnipeg so head up for some Tim Horton’s coffee and poutine if you’re up for it. The base has plenty of resources to keep you entertained so ask around and enjoy your new home!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts