SPACE SYSTEMS COMMAND IS MAKING AMERICAN SPACE OPERATIONS SAFER
By Buddy Blouin
It wasn’t too long ago that the idea of space was something of a dream or fantasy. Today, we continue the space race in many different ways, yet they are much more important to our everyday lives. From national defense to communication systems and even helping us predict the weather, these are but a few examples of why space is so important to the United States. But if there is an interest worth having, it will need to be defended. This is why the newest branch of the military, the U.S. Space Force, has such a critical role in the future of our country. Across many different bases in the U.S., including its headquarters at Los Angeles Air Force Base, the Space Systems Command (SSC) helps protect American interests in space. By ensuring that infrastructure is secure and that both commercial and militaristic goals are being fulfilled, the SSC’s emerging role is one of alignment and execution on behalf of the United States of America.
Suggested read:Los Angeles Air Force Base (Now Space Force Base): Welcome Center
Where Space Systems Command Is LocatedThe main headquarters of the Space Systems Command can be found at Los Angeles AFB. The SSC office address is 483 N. Aviation Blvd. El Segundo, CA 90245. Here are the following facilities in which the U.S. Space Command operates:
- Los Angeles AFB, CA
- Vandenberg SFB, CA
- Schriever SFB, CO
- Peterson SFB, CO
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Boulder, CO
- Buckley SFB, CO
- Kirtland AFB, NM
- Oahu, HI
- NASA Johnson Space Center, TX
- Hanscom AFB, MA
- Ft. Meade, MD
- Dahlgren, VA
- Patrick SFB, FL
- Ascension Island, a small British island halfway between Brazil and Africa
Read next:U.S. Space Force News: The USSF Is Going Digital
How the USSF SSC Helps Protect and Serve AmericaThe Space Systems Command is responsible for managing space launch sites belonging to the United States first and foremost. If you are going to get to space, you’re going to need to ensure that these sites are operated correctly and capable of being defended. Here’s how the SSC can help protect private companies and military operations going forward:
- Assured Access to Space (AATS)
- Battle Management Command, Control, and Communications (BMC3)
- Communications and Positioning, Navigation, & Timing (PNT)
- Space Domain Awareness and Combat Power
- Space Sensing
- Connecting the private sector with government clients who can help bolster U.S. space capabilities through improved solutions.
- Integrating space systems that can work both together and independently to achieve goals through various operations.
- Fostering a healthy relationship with the international space community to better collaborate and facilitate deals for the advancement of American exploration and objectives.
- Combat readiness throughout each station for both operations and training purposes.
Space Systems Command Will Continue To GrowThe function of the SSC will only continue to seep into more and more operations as space exploration continues to rise and our communications continue to rely on space to thrive. Ongoing improvements and integrations of technology may help all of us do extraordinary things online, but they also pose more threats and challenges to keeping out those who wish to harm Americans. The Space Systems Command is part of growing efforts by the U.S. to ensure that our operations both in space and down here on the Earth are secure and operational.
Read next:17 of the Best Things To Do in Southern California Near Los Angeles AFB
los angeles afb
Space Systems Command
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts