24 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO AROUND FORT POLK
By Chris Walker
IntroductionYou’ve received orders to Fort Polk, made the move, checked in, unpacked, sent the kids to school, and had your first week at work. Now what? Well here is a short guide of things to do on and around Fort Polk, Louisiana. There’s plenty of bayou and unique southern living to experience in Louisiana so get out there and explore! Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-2) Aquatic Centers / Pools (3) Batting Cage (4) Bowling (5) Golfing (6) Mini Golf & Go-Karts (7) Recreation Center (8) Shooting Range (9-13) Parks, Rivers, and Lakes (14) Sports (15-19) Gyms (20-23) Attractions (24) Museums
Suggested Read:Fort Polk Louisiana: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
24 Things to Do Around Fort Polk
1. South Fort 25 Meter Lap Pool10th St Bldg 1458 Fort Polk, LA 714594
Phone: 1 (337) 531-6785
Hours: Currently closed due to COVID restrictions Stay in shape, get tan, or book unit PT at this lap pool facility with a diving platform and lane dividers.
2. Fort Polk Splash Park1352 Wyoming Ave Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-6785 This seasonal splash park is open to children of all abilities. It offers pads for younger children and lots of activities for a fun splash-filled day for kids 14 and younger.
3. Batting Cages9th St Bldg 1460 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-5441 Perfect your skills at America’s past time or simply let off some steam by crushing balls into the stands at the batting cage!
Fort Polk Bowling Alley
4. Warrior Lanes Bowling Center2087 9th St Bldg 1457 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-6273 Currently closed for renovations, this center features modern lanes, a pro shop, snack bar, and special events like League Bowling, Black-light “cosmic” bowling, parties and more!
Fort Polk Golf Course
5. Warrior Hills Golf Course1321 Corps Rd Bldg 352 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-4661 Play 18-holes, join the club and play tournaments, or just come chip on the greens and practice your swing.
Fort Polk Mini Golf
6. Klubs & KartsBldg 1402 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-5481 Enjoy 9 or 18 holes of mini-golf or blast around the track in a two-person go-kart! Perfect for parties and events or just a fun day out. Go Kart drivers must be at least 58” tall and drivers with passengers must be 18 years old. Passengers must be at least 40” tall.
Fort Polk Recreation Center
7. Home of the Heroes Soldier Recreation Center2165 9th St Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-5870 A 15,000 square foot area that features lots of lounge space with comfortable recliners, screening rooms, computer stations, video game lounge, pool tables, ping pong tables, dart boards, band space with drum sets and amplifiers.
Fort Polk Shooting Range
8. Recreational Shooting Range4111 California Ave Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-7552 Features skeet/trap range, pistol range, rifle range, archery range, and a paintball course. For information on transporting a firearm on base or for hunting information and necessary paperwork, check the base website here.
Parks, Rivers, and Lakes
9. Alligator Lake Recreation Park, RV Park, and Rental Center430 Alligator Loop Bldg 8590 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-5350 This park provides multiple camping locations with pavilions, grills, water hose connections, electricity, playgrounds, restrooms, and sports areas. The rental center provides canoes, paddle boats, sports equipment, scuba gear, inflatable party games, and bounce houses. Check the MWR Website here for all available rentals and reservations.
10. Toledo Bend Army Recreation Park1310 Army Recreation Road Florien, LA 71429
Phone: 1 (888) 718-9088 45 miles Northwest of Fort Polk, this is the 5th largest man-made reservoir in the country. You can rent cabins that sleep up to 5 people, boats, go camping, fishing, and enjoy the beach. Check the MWR Website for a complete list of rentals and services.
11. Vernon LakeSpillway Rd Leesville, LA 71446 Enjoy camping and fishing in Vernon Lake park. Check out a short video with all the area has to offer here.
12. Toro Bayou and the Sabine RiverAnother remote attraction that rewards visitors with beautiful scenery and a pristine river perfect for canoeing or kayaking. RV and tent camping are both available.
13. Kisatchie National ForestThis national forest encompasses much of central and western Louisiana. This park features endangered species of birds and some of the best camping areas and trails for horseback riding and off-road cyclists.
14. Marion Bonner TrailThe Marion Bonner Trail is a 10 mile length jogging and running path that runs through the woods of Fort Polk with entrances at Bayne-Jones Army Hospital and by a parking area along Chaffee Road on the way to North Fort Polk.
Fort Polk GymsFort Polk offers five fitness centers as well as the running trail and aquatics center for you to maintain or build your fitness level.
Note: All gyms are currently affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Be sure to call ahead to verify modified hours and COVID restrictions.
15. Warrior Fitness Center2278 Alabama Ave Bldg 2276 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-1898
Note: Maximum occupancy 75 personnel Features indoor basketball courts, outdoor basketball and tennis courts, treadmills and ellipticals, bikes, hammer strength weight machines, rowing machines, free weights, heavy back, and racquetball courts by reservation.
16. Tiger Land Fitness Center2870 G Ave (North Fort) Bldg 7318A Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 653-3719
Note: Closed until further notice. Features free weights, weight machines, concept rowers, and cardio machines.
17. Home of Heroes Functional Fitness Center2165 9th St Bldg 1455 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-4337 The functional fitness center features full weight rigs, battle ropes, truck tires, rowers, ski ergs, spin bikes, assault bikes, wall balls, kettlebells, boxing equipment, TRX, climbing ropes, and free weights.
18. Wheelock Fitness Center7755 Georgia Ave Bldg 3350 Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-6795
Note: Maximum occupancy 140 personnel Wheelock Fitness Center features weight and cardio equipment, sauna, steam room, walking and running track, rock climbing wall, and group exercise room.
19. Cantrell Fitness Center2000 Glory Loop Bldg 1262, Fort Polk, LA 71459
Phone: 1 (337) 531-1935
Note: Maximum occupancy 120 personnel Features a mix of traditional weight room and cardio room equipment as well as functional fitness area and equipment.
20. Myths and Legends BywayVernon Parish, LA Vernon Parish is rich in Wild West history. From outlaws named “Leather Britches Smith” to Native tribes, this network of scenic roads and trails takes about a day to drive. It begins at Burr Ferry and navigates through Vernon and neighboring Parishes along Civil War-era breastworks that give visitors a taste of frontier life.
21. MayFestThis event is held every year in the first full weekend of May bringing artists, vendors, craftsmen, and musicians of all kinds in a fun street fair that is a unique Louisiana experience
22. Leesville Main Street Cultural DistrictLeesville, LA This downtown historic district features beautiful old houses and buildings and lots of local restaurants along 5th Street. 3rd Street Market is great for local goods, produce, and pop up street festivals such as the Main Street Gumbo cook-off and the Louisiana State Soapbox Derby Championship are a neat way to experience the local community. Gallery One Eleven also showcases local artists and Louisiana culture.
23. Wolf Rock Cave961-975 Johnsonville Rd Leesville, LA 71446 These outdoor getaways are a hiker or climber’s delight. The cave is located in a remote part of Kisatchie National Forest best accessed by a four-wheel-drive vehicle or by a long hike but those who make the trek will be rewarded with beautiful views and magnificent cave that has been used by Native Americans and outdoorsmen for many many years.
Fort Polk Museums
24. Museum of West Louisiana803 S Third St, Leesville LA 71446
Phone: 1 (318) 239-0927 This local museum showcases artifacts of Native tribes, frontier life, the building of the railroad, as well as a unique collection of paintings by German prisoners of war who were housed at Fort Polk during World War II.
ConclusionFort Polk and the surrounding area are an outdoorsman's paradise with lots of national forests and camping. The surrounding towns are small but rich in southern culture. We hope this guide is a great starting point for you and your family!
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts