26 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO AT FORT GORDON
By Paul Mooney
IntroductionWelcome to Fort Gordon! As the home of the US Army Signal Corps, Cyber Corps, and the Cyber Center of excellence, chances are your time working and living here will be full of interesting training and experiences. And that’s just at work. Located in the beautiful city of Augusta, Georgia, this post offers easy access to all sorts of amazing things to do, from the thrills of urban life to the splendor of nature.
Note:Some of the addresses for activities and locations are Augusta but listed under the Fort Gordon sections. That’s because, despite their mailing addresses, they are located within the base.
Suggested Read:Fort Gordon Georgia: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
26 Things to Do Near Fort GordonKnow what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-8) Parks, Rivers, and Lakes (9-11) Museums (12-13) Golfing (14-16) Sports (17-21) Gyms (22) Shooting Range (23) Movie Theaters (24-26) Attractions
Parks, Rivers, and Lakes
1. Leitner Lake Recreation ComplexMWR Lake Park Dr Augusta, GA 30814 1 (706) 791-5078 Whether you’re looking to enjoy the woods from the comfort of a fancy RV or rough it with nothing more than a tent and sleeping back, you can do it here. They have areas for regular camping in addition to more comfy amenities like 22 RV hookup sites and a comfort station.
2. Outdoor Pool & Spray ParkThe Courtyard, 36710 Brainard Ave Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-8053 Over 20 water features make this aquatic park a great way to cool off and have fun. From the 3-story slide to the kiddie pool, there’s a place for everyone to have a dip and splash around.
3. Pendleton King Park1600 Troupe Street Augusta, GA 30904 1 (706) 821-1578 Pendleton King Park is, essentially, a 64-acre bird sanctuary right in Augusta. But there’s much more to it than wildlife preservation. It also has hiking trails, Lake Elizabeth, a disc golf course, tennis courts, and more.
4. Phinizy Center & Nature Park1858 Lock and Dam Road Augusta, GA 30906 1 (706) 828-2109 Part nature park, part research and educational institution, the Phinizy Center is dedicated to protecting wetland environments. Stop by and learn all about these beautiful, vibrant ecosystems firsthand.
5. Savannah Rapids Park3300 Evans-to-Locks Road Martinez, Georgia 30907 1 (706) 868-3373 Seated along the Augusta Canal and Reed Creek waterfall, this park has great options for land or water based activities. Rent kayaks, bikes, or just enjoy a nice walk through the beautiful woods and waterways.
6. Patriots Park5445 Columbia Road Grovetown, GA 30813 1 (706) 863-7523 A large, lovely park with facilities for sports and activities of all kinds. There are fields for baseball, softball, football, and soccer, tennis courts, a full gymnasium, and more.
7. Pointes West Army Resort703 Washington Rd Appling, GA 30802 1 (706) 541-1057 A 30 mile drive puts this spot a little farther away from Fort Gordon than most of the other options listed here. But this resort of the shorts of Clarks Hill Lake has all the waterfront activities you could possibly want. And you can stay here any way you like: in a rented cabin, at a hotel, in your RV, or roughing it at a plain campsite.
8. Wildwood Park3780 Dogwood Lane Appling, GA 30802 1 (706) 541-0586 Also seated on Clarks Hill Lake, this 75-acre park offers access to the water whether you want to swim, boat, or fish. There are also areas for camping, disc golf, picnics, and more.
Museums in Augusta GA
9. US Army Signal Corps Museum504 Chamberlain Ave # 29807 Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-2818/3856 As the home of the United States Army’s Signal Corps since 1948, it’s no surprise that the official museum dedicated to that vital branch is right here. Learn all about the brave men and women who’ve made communication in war possible since 1860.
10. The Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson419 Seventh Street Augusta, Georgia 30901 1 (706) 722-9828 Although not born here, President Wilson spent his youth and adolescence from before age two right here in Augusta. Learn all about the early years of America’s 28th president.
11. Augusta Museum of History560 Reynolds Street Augusta, Georgia 30901 1 (706) 722-8454 Learn all about the history of the Augusta and the Central Savannah River Region, from the first known human settlements over 12,000 years ago to the present. There are all sorts of amazing signature exhibits to explore, like the Transportation Corridor and the History of Golf.
Fort Gordon Golf Courses
12. Gordon Lakes Golf Club537 Range Rd Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-2433 You may not be able to play at the legendary Masters Course in Augusta, but that doesn’t mean you get in a great and challenging 18 holes. Or more, because the Gordon Lakes Golf Club has 27 total holes for a variety of different course layouts.
13. Fort Gordon Disc GolfWainwright Cir Augusta, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-6433 Okay, so not technically “golf,” but it sure is fun to play. Head over and toss the disc around with friends or join the local league and get competitive about it. Either way, you’re in for a good time.
Fort Gordon Sports
14. Hilltop Riding Stable508 N Range Rd Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (312) 780-4864 With 250 acres of trails and lessons at levels from beginner to advanced, anyone and everyone can enjoy ride after ride here. They also do birthday parties and have boarding options for any of you out there with your own horses.
15. Warrior Adventure QuestBldg. 36708, Brainard Ave Augusta, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-1662 Being in the military means a lot of high-adrenaline activities, but not all of them would be considered fun. This place and program, however, is all about both. Reach out to find out about all sorts of intense leisure activities from go-kart racing to whitewater rafting.
16. Gordon Lanes Bowling Center3rd Ave # 33200 Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-3446 Knockdown some pins and have a blast right here on base at this 24-lane facility. It also has a snack bar, sports bar with pool tables, and a pro shop for any serious bowlers out there.
Fort Gordon GymsJust like at any other military installation physical fitness is always a priority for personnel stationed here. Not just for your health and mental well-being, but for life and work as a member of the armed forces. As such, the base MWR maintains several facilities for you to work up a good sweat and keep in shape.
Note:All gyms are currently affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Some are currently closed, others operating with shortened hours, and strict distancing policies. Check each gym’s site for updates and specific guidelines.
17. Cyber Fitness CenterBldg. 25713, 26th St Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-7370 Cardio, weights, courts for basketball and volleyball, and a sauna make this a great spot for a workout. And the Lift-a-Latte Cafe inside is a great place to grab a little recharge afterward.
18. Gordon Fitness CenterBldg. 29607, Barnes Ave Augusta, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-2369 Another location with all the weight and cardio gear you’d need, plus another Lift-a-Latte. It also has a spin classroom, group fitness classes, and massage therapy.
19. Indoor PoolBldg. 21608, Barnes Ave Augusta, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-3034 Enjoy year-round aquatic athletic training at this heated, 7-lane pool. They also offer swim classes for kids aged 6 months and up and lifeguard training for those over age 15.
20. Victory Fitness CenterBldg. 25510, Brainard Ave Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-2864 Cardio and weights, of course, plus a sauna and yet another Lift-a-Latte. This gym also has CrossFit equipment and instruction available.
21. Nelson Fitness CenterBldg. 21713, 21st St Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-6872 Another location with courts for basketball, racquetball, and volleyball in addition to the usual workout equipment. And a fourth Lift-a-Latte location to enjoy.
Fort Gordon Shooting Range
22. Tactical Advantage Sportsman’s Complex (TASC)Bldg. 00445, Carter Rd Augusta, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-5078 With ranges for skeet, trap, archery, and more there’s plenty of shooting you can enjoy at the TASC on Range 14. They also have firearms for checkout, a pro shop for archery and firearm accessories. And they rent out general recreation equipment as well, from kayaks and bikes to bounce houses.
Fort Gordon Movie Theaters
23. Regal Augusta Exchange & IMAX1144 Agerton Lane Augusta, GA 30909 1 (844) 462-7342 Located in the Marketplace at Augusta shopping complex, this multiple-screen cineplex is the best place in town to go for the newest box office hits. With cozy seats and a full concession stand, you’ll enjoy your next movie night here in comfort.
24. Community Garden134 Brainard Ave Augusta, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-9483 The community garden is a great place for members of the local military community to gather, learn, and grow both themselves and beautiful flora. There’s a gardening club you can join and a children’s program to teach youngsters how to tend plants of all kinds.
25. Woodworth LibraryBuilding 33500, 549 Rice Rd Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 791-7323 For some people, nothing out there beats a good book. And this library is a great place to go if you want to grab a new, engrossing read. They also offer events for children like story times and summer reading programs.
26. Fort Gordon Dinner TheatreBldg. 32100, 3rd Ave Fort Gordon, GA 30905 1 (706) 793-8552 You don’t have to take a trek to Broadway to enjoy great theater. This venue offers professionally-run, year-round performances of shows. Plus, their entertainment program offers additional sources of enjoyment like outdoor concerts, talent shows, and youth theater productions.
ConclusionFort Gordon, and the greater Augusta region, offer a whole lot of great activities to those lucky enough to be stationed here. You can hit the links, hit the shooting range, see a play, and camp out under the stars all in one day without ever going far from the base. Suffice it to say, boredom will be the last thing on your mind here at the home of the Signal Corps.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts