30 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN FORT HOOD
By Rachel Childs
IntroductionWelcome to Fort Hood, the largest active-duty armored post in the United States. The post offers a number of recreational activities to enjoy during your time here: camping, crafting, bingo, bowling, swimming, and more. Off post, there's even more to explore, including trampoline parks, escape rooms, theaters, and other attractions. For more information on things to do around Fort Hood, visit Fort Hood's Leisure Travel Service website. LTS offers special military discount tickets to many local attractions, as well as national favorites like Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. Whatever travel destinations you seek, LTS staff can help you plan your trips with assistance with airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, and even cruises. Read on to learn about 30 things to do in Fort Hood.
Suggested Read:Fort Hood Texas: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, the following venues may be operating under limited hours of operation or closed due to post or local community restrictions. Check the venue's website or call for current hours of operation and information on attendance guidelines and restrictions.
30 Things to Do in Fort HoodKnow what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-6) Outdoor Recreation (7) Arts & Crafts (8) Bingo (9) Bowling (10-13) Pools (14-23) Gyms (24-27) Attractions Near Fort Hood (28) Performing Arts (29-30) Movie Theaters
Outdoor Recreation Fort HoodWant to explore the great outdoors? Check out these attractions on post.
1. ATV ParkClear Creek Road, Fort Hood 1 (254) 532-4552 Ride your ATV through varying natural terrain at the post's ATV Park. Permits are required and available through the Sportsmen's Center Area Access Program. You must also take the safety course, use the buddy system, and have proper safety equipment, to include a helmet, gloves, goggles, and over-the-ankle boots. Visit the website for more information.
2. Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation AreaCottage Road, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-2523 This recreation area has it all: a lake and beach, horseback riding trails, mountain bike, and hiking trails, an archery range, a paintball course, and more. The area's Team Challenge Course features a 53-foot climbing wall, a giant swing, towers, bridges, a zip line, and other team-building challenges. Cottage and tent or RV campsite rentals are available. The post's Recreation Equipment Checkout Center (14 miles southwest of BLORA), offers kayaks, canoes, wakeboards, skis, kneeboards, tubes, camping equipment, pop-ups and travel trailers, accessories, and more for fun at the lake.
3. The Courses of Clear CreekBattalion Avenue Building 52381, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-4130 The Courses of Clear Creek at Fort Hood feature three nine-hole courses: Armadillo Hills, Deer Run, and Panther Claw. A free four-hole course, Rattlesnake Ridge, is available for kids. Meals and refreshments are available at the courses' snack bar.
4. Paintball CourseLiberty Hill Road, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-2523 Challenge your friends at the paintball course's old Sparta Western town, take the Labyrinth Bridge, explore the urban sprawl of Urban Warfare, or experience the thrill of Speedball. Equipment rentals and paintball supplies are available. The course is open to patrons 10 years of age and older. Youth 10-17 requires a guardian signature.
5. Sportsmen's CenterRod and Gun Club Loop Building 1937, Fort Hood 1 (254) 532-4552 The Sportsmen's Center has information about local hunting and fishing regulations and hotspots. The center has a skeet and archery range as well.
6. West Fort Hood Travel CampClarke Road Building 70013, Fort Hood 1 (254) 288-9926 This campground offers spaces for RVs and camp trailers. Full hookups are available. Other amenities include Wi-Fi in the customer service building lounge, a dump station, coin-operated laundry facilities, showers, two playgrounds, and picnic tables.
Fort Hood Arts and CraftsCheck out these post venues for indoor fun away from the sun.
7. Apache Arts and Crafts Center761st Tank Battalion Ave. Building 2337, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-0343 The post's arts and crafts center can help you with all your crafting needs. The center has a plaques and frame shop, a screen printing shop, a ceramic department, an embroidery department, a woodshop, a hobby store, and more.
Fort Hood Bingo
8. Community Events and Bingo CenterClear Creek Road Building 50012, Fort Hood 1 (254) 532-9253 More than $3,000 is paid out daily at the post's bingo center. Special games are offered throughout the year. Computer handsets are available.
Fort Hood Bowling
Phantom Warrior Lanes Bowling CenterSanta Fe Avenue Building 49010, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-3424 More than just a bowling center, this 48-lane facility also features an arcade, electronic bingo, and a snack bar. Leagues are available for all ages.
Fort Hood PoolsFort Hood has three outdoor recreational pools, two training pools, and an indoor pool. Visit the post's Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation website for more information.
10. Abrams Indoor Pool62nd Street Building 23001, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-4648 This 25-meter indoor pool is in the Abrams Physical Fitness Center.
11. Comanche PoolTank Destroyer Boulevard Building 52932, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-7544 This 50-meter pool has two diving boards, two water slides, lap swim, lounge chairs, and a wading pool.
12. Patton Pool24th Street Building 5774, Fort Hood 1 (254) 285-5837 This pool has a wading pool, diving boards, slides, shade tops, picnic tables, and lounge chairs.
13. West Fort Hood PoolClarke Road Building 91075, Fort Hood 1 (254) 288-9838 This pool has slides, a wading pool, shade tops, picnic tables, and lounge chairs.
Fort Hood GymsFort Hood has seven physical fitness centers and three functional fitness centers. Facilities are free of charge to authorized patrons. The centers offer an array of state-of-the-art exercise equipment, exercise classes, sports courts, running tracks, saunas, and more. Amenities vary at each center, so be sure to visit the Fort Hood Family and MWR website for more information.
14. Abrams Physical Fitness Center62nd Street Building 23001, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-2016
15. Applied Functional Fitness CenterOld Ironsides Avenue Building 12018, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-5586
16. Burba Physical Fitness CenterOld Ironsides Avenue Building 9301, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-8298
17. Grey Wolf Physical Fitness CenterOld Ironsides Avenue Building 24006, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-0194
18. Harvey Functional Fitness CenterOld Ironsides Avenue Building 31006, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-0195
19. Iron Horse Physical Fitness CenterOld Ironsides Avenue Building 37017, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-1346
20. Kieschnick Physical Fitness CenterSupport Avenue Building 39008, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-5493
21. North Fort Hood Physical Fitness Center112th St. Building 56473, Fort Hood 1 (254) 288-0111
22. Starker Functional Fitness CenterOld Ironsides Avenue Building 87010, Fort Hood 1 (254) 287-9639
23. West Fort Hood Physical Fitness CenterClarke Road Building 90007, Fort Hood 1 (254) 553-2010
Attractions Near Fort Hood
24. Altitude Trampoline Park901 S. Fort Hood St. Killeen, TX 76541 1 (254) 768-0203
This trampoline park has 13 attractions, including performance trampolines, a trapeze bar, a rock wall, and much more.
25. Axed Out Texas208 W. Rancier Ave. Killeen, TX 76541 1 (254) 245-9029 Created by veterans, for veterans, Axed Out Texas is an axe-throwing venue for all ages. New throwers need not worry: instructors will demonstrate proper axe-throwing techniques. And little ones can throw foam axes in the kid pit!
26. Great Escape of Central Texas4400 E. Central Texas Expressway Killeen, TX 76543 1 (254) 680-2686 Great Escape of Central Texas lets you and your friends solve puzzles to escape or solve a mystery in a variety of fictional locations and scenarios.
27. Project Scuba3310 Tallwood Drive Killeen, TX 76549 1 (254) 458-3368 Project Scuba provides PADI SCUBA diving courses for all learning levels, as well as air fills, tank inspections, and gear service. For more information on courses, upcoming dive events in Texas, and other services, visit the website.
28. Vive Les Arts Theatre3401 S. WS Young Drive Killeen, TX 76542 1 (254) 526-9090 This nonprofit community theater produces live theatrical performances, as well as cultural and educational programs.
Fort Hood Movie Theaters
29. Cinergy Copperas Cove402 Constitution Drive Copperas Cove, TX 76522 1 (254) 542-4900 This entertainment complex is fun for the whole family. More than just a movie theater, the complex also serves up delicious fare for in-theater dining, a gaming arcade, and laser tag.
30. Regal Killeen2501 E Central Texas Expy Killeen, TX 76543 1 (844) 462-7342 This huge cineplex has plenty of screens and plush, reclining seats to enjoy all the latest blockbusters in style.
ConclusionFort Hood is full of fun opportunities, and the surrounding area offers even more things to do. Whether you want to camp under the stars of the Texas sky, play a round of bingo, or watch a live play, you're sure to make plenty of new memories at Fort Hood.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts