By MyBaseGuide Staff Member


All customers are required to report to the HSO at 4514 Stuart Ave. before making any housing arrangements. After visiting the HSO, those who want to reside on post will be referred to the Balfour Beatty Communities Office, located at 520 Brown Ave.


In accordance with AR 600-8-10, Leaves and Passes, 15 Feb 06 and AR 420-1, Facilities Management, service members may be authorized 10 days permissive TDY for house hunting when en route to the gaining installation.

The DA Form 31 or DA Form 4187 requesting PTDY must be approved by a lieutenant colonel or above. The service member is required to report to the HSO upon arrival to the gaining installation to have the forms validated prior to signing a lease. Failure to do so will result in being charged leave for the entire period. If the service member did not receive PTDY from his or her losing unit, it can be requested from the gaining unit. All requests are subject to command approval.


In 2008, Fort Jackson’s permanent party on-post family housing was transferred to Balfour Beatty Communities (BBC), which is now responsible for managing all 850 units for service members, retirees, DOD employees and their families.

The entire inventory is divided into nine areas, seven for enlisted families and two for officers’ families. Although all homes are unfurnished, they are equipped with central heating and air conditioning, refrigerators, dishwashers and electric ranges.

Balfour Beatty Communities is also responsible for all landscaping within the on-post housing areas (with a few exceptions). For the families living on-post, BBC’s LifeWorks Program hosts free weekly events, typically at the Community Center. The Community Center is located at 520 Brown Ave. Community representatives can be reached at 803-738-8275. For more information, visit www.ftjacksonfamilyhousing.com.


Service members interested in living on post can begin the process as soon as they receive PCS orders to Fort Jackson. Visit Balfour Beatty’s website at www.ftjacksonfamilyhousing.com and click on the “Relocating Residents” tab, then select the “Apply Today” option. You are then able to click on the Yardi hyperlink, which will direct you to the application process. Choose Fort Jackson and log on with your Social Security number and last name. Once the application has been submitted, a member of the Balfour Beatty staff will contact you for information needed to complete the application process and placement on the waiting list.

If you have already arrived to the installation, simply visit the BBC Management Office, 520 Brown Ave., located in the family housing area, to complete an application and meet with a resident specialist. You will need a copy of your PCS orders, leave and earning statements, DD1172 DEERS Enrollment, marriage certificates and copies of birth certificates to verify housing eligibility.

Applicants must apply for housing within 30 days of arrival to receive an eligibility date of the “date departed last permanent duty station” or they will be placed on a waiting list, effective the date of application. This date determines placement on the housing waiting list.

There is never a security deposit or application fee at Balfour Beatty Communities and two pets (domestic animals) are welcomed at no additional fee or deposit, however, breed restrictions do apply. Your rent at Balfour Beatty Communities includes a utilities allowance, renters insurance, landscaping, and curbside garbage and limited recycling pickup. Phone, cable and satellite are excluded.

With customer service in mind, office hours are designed to accommodate the residents’ needs for visiting the office and community center. Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Residents can submit applications, check their status on the waiting list, receive move-in instructions, place service requests and discuss specific needs with the management staff.

In the case of an emergency, personnel are available around the clock with an immediate response and resolution. BBC is committed to long-term solutions to maintenance problems, not just cosmetic fixes, and wants to foster pride of ownership in homes and community by effectively maintaining physical appearance, cleanliness and state of repair surrounding landscapes. To speak with a Balfour Beatty Communities management staff member, call 803-738-8275.



The HSO is located at 4514 Stuart Ave., at the intersection of Strom Thurmond Boulevard and Marion Avenue. You are required to report to the HSO prior to making any commitments for renting, leasing or purchasing any housing. If on-post housing is unavailable or you simply wish to reside off post, theHSO staff will assist you in locating quality housing off the installation and provide individual counseling that is catered to your specific needs. Feel free to call the HSO at 803-751-7566/5788/9323 or visit during office hours 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.


Select your home after considering the following:

  • Is the size adequate for your family with the possibility of additions to your family?
  • Is the cost within your means and BAH?
  • Will the neighborhood be a safe, secure place for the growth and well-being of your family?
  • Does the location provide access to shopping centers, churches, schools and playgrounds for your family?
  • Is the distance of the home a reasonable commute for you and your family?

Once you have made your choice, read your lease carefully before signing it. Make sure you conduct a move-in inspection and note the condition of the residence at the time of acceptance. At your request, a representative from HSO can accompany you during the move-in inspection. If there are any areas of concern in the home when you take possession, document everything on the move-in checklist and obtain the landlord’s signature on your copy.

This signed move-in inspection list will help you minimize the risk of paying for previous existing damages when you move out. It should be maintained in a safe place for future reference. You may also want to consider taking photos of the condition of the home. Notify your landlord as soon as possible if the discrepancies in the home require immediate attention.

The HSO staff can provide you with other tips to make informed housing decisions. Be sure to maintain a copy of your lease agreement and inspection checklist for possible future reference.


A written lease agreement is required for most residential leases. This agreement should outline the responsibilities and obligations of all parties and should constitute the entirety of the agreement. Before signing a lease agreement, make sure you understand everything written in the agreement. Signing the agreement is generally evidence of your intent to be bound to the conditions and reinforces your agreement to all the terms within the document. Upon your request, the HSO can review your lease before you sign it. For more insight on South Carolina housing laws, contact the HSO or staff judge advocate or visit www.scstatehouse.gov.


Service members have certain protections under the federally mandated Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA). In addition to the SCRA, service members who enter into a lease can protect themselves by obtaining a rental agreement that includes a military clause. In accordance with the SCRA, this clause allows for termination in case of permanent change of station, discharge or other circumstances that make termination appropriate. It generally states that upon receipt of PCS orders, retirement orders or release from active duty, the service member may terminate a lease agreement by providing the landlord a 30-day written intent to vacate notice and a copy of official orders. The termination shall become effective 30 days after the specified date and the rent should be prorated by the landlord accordingly. For more information on the SCRA and the military clause, visit www.servicememberscivilreliefact.com.


When you are shopping for rental property, you may receive oral representations from property managers in regard to various aspects of the property. Oral representations that conflict with written provisions in a lease are generally unenforceable. Oral evidence that modifies a written lease agreement is likewise generally inadmissible in court. The written lease agreement controls the obligations of the parties and is generally the enforceable agreement. It is strongly advised to have all parts of the rental agreement in writing, regardless of any circumstances.


The written lease agreement will outline the obligations of both the landlord and tenant. However, according to South Carolina law, landlords and tenants have general obligations when leasing a rental property. Landlords have a general obligation to maintain the premises. They must also comply with all applicable building codes, make necessary repairs, keep the premises in a habitable condition and keep all common areas safe. A landlord also may be required to make running water, hot water and heat available as well as keep all electrical, gas, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilation, air conditioning and other facilities in working order if these obligations are not specified in the written agreement to be the tenants obligations.

Tenants have a general obligation to comply with all building and housing codes, keep the dwelling unit reasonably safe and clean, properly dispose of trash, keep all plumbing fixtures clean and use all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and other facilities in a reasonable manner. The tenant also may incur further obligations as outlined by the written lease agreement and state laws.

For more information on landlord and tenant responsibilities, review Title 27 — Chapter 40 of the Landlord and Tenant Act at www.scstatehouse.gov.


A service member should maintain renters insurance to protect his or her personal belongings in case of a catastrophic disaster or unforeseen damages. The landlord is under no obligation to provide insurance coverage to or for the tenant; therefore it is important that the service member obtain insurance coverage to cover the rental property, furniture and other personal belongings.


Security deposits are usually an upfront expense that a tenant pays a landlord to secure interest in the leased property. Security deposits may also provide a means for a landlord to seek reimbursement for damage to the property or repair costs. Generally, a landlord has an obligation to maintain the premises and should not use the security deposit to pay for normal wear and tear of premises. According to South Carolina law, a landlord is required to provide the security deposit, minus the amounts used for repairs and damages, along with an itemized list of expenses to a tenant no later than 30 days after termination of a written lease agreement. The tenant is required to provide the landlord with written notification of a forwarding address. If this provision is violated, a tenant may have a legal cause of action and may seek treble damages (three times the amount of damages) plus reasonable attorney’s fees by statute.


A written lease agreement will usually contain the date of termination for the agreement. Parties may have the option of renewing the lease, usually with new terms or increased rent, by providing written notice. Most residential leases are for a one-year period but may be longer or shorter. Termination of the lease before the termination date may possibly give the aggrieved party a legal action for damages.

Damages are usually the monetary damages a landlord may incur for this early termination. Many leases also include early termination clauses and provisions that cover the procedures for terminating the lease early, often with some sort of penalty-fee provision or a liquidated damages clause designed to estimate the amount of monetary loss a party would suffer for this early termination.

These clauses are often drafted to protect the landlord’s interests and can make it difficult or costly for a tenant to terminate the lease early. This is usually to ensure that the tenant either performs the obligations he or she agreed to in the contract for the contract period or compensates the landlord for this early termination.



All single permanent party Soldiers E-1 through E-5 entitled to BAH at the without-dependent rate are required to live in the Freddie Stowers’ Complex. Exceptions to this policy can only be granted by the garrison commander or his or her designee.

A request for approval must be prepared on DA Form 4187 (Personnel Action Form) with accompanying DA 4187 and processed through the service member’s entire chain of command. Once signed by the service member’s chain of command, the request must be submitted to the housing chief for processing. The garrison commander is the only person who may authorize a single service member to live off post and receive BAH. The approval or disapproval from the garrison commander will be returned through the chain of command. Pets and household goods are not considered justifications to reside off post.

There are eight barracks buildings, all of which are designed in the one-plus-one style and can house noncommissioned officers (NCOs) and junior enlisted service members. This means that two junior enlisted service members of the same gender each have a private bedroom but share a connecting kitchenette and bathroom. NCOs are given the entire suite, with one of the bedrooms set up as a living room. Sleeping rooms are furnished with a single bed, a nightstand, a lamp, under-bed storage, a desk, a chair and an entertainment center. The living rooms are furnished with a sofa, a chair or recliner, a coffee table and end table, and a small dining table with two chairs. Each kitchenette is equipped with a 10.3-cubic-foot refrigerator and microwave. The rooms are pre-wired for cable and telephone, which can be purchased from the service provider of your choosing.





Get the latest news and military discounts