MACDILL AFB HOUSING: 5 ON-BASE OPTIONS
By Kevin Lankes
IntroductionMacDill Air Force Base hosts the 6th Air Refueling Wing and sits under 5 miles outside Tampa, Florida. Because it’s so close to a large U.S. metro area, there are many off-base housing options to choose from. If you’re more interested in cutting out the commute and living on-site, though, then this is the guide for you. We’ll run you through all your best on-base options for housing at AFB MacDill. There are several neighborhoods to choose from, each with its own unique amenities and convenient access to base stores and other features.
Suggested Read: MacDill AFB: In-Depth Welcome Center
MacDill AFB BAHBasic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is available for those who do opt to live in the surrounding area outside of MacDill AFB housing. This is a monthly stipend that’s calculated based on your rank and zip code that you ultimately end up in. It’s a great help for families with extra bills on their plate or the individual who’s looking to cut housing costs or live in a particular community that might have been out of reach. BAH helps airmen make solid financial choices and keep their savings growing. You can follow this link to look up your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for your rank and zip code. This will help you create your budget and guide your home search. To learn more about what goes into your military BAH rate, visit our in-depth guide here.
MacDill AFB BarracksThe barracks at MacDill includes a series of housing options available for unaccompanied junior enlisted personnel who are getting the PCS here with only basic needs to cater to. Call the office to find out exactly what you’re eligible for and what’s available. They provide all maintenance and landscaping so that you can keep your focus on the job at hand.
Unaccompanied Member Housing2424 Administration Avenue Building #370 Tampa, FL 33621
Phone: 1 (813) 828-2790
MacDill AFB Housing OfficeThe housing office on base is a wealth of information regarding your move and new life on base. Take advantage of their knowledgeable staff to come through your housing quest stress-free. They’ll help you find the right situation for your specific needs.
MacDill AFB Housing Office8414 Fortress Drive MacDill AFB, FL 33621
Phone: 1 (813) 828-3166
MacDill AFB Housing CommunitiesOn-base housing at MacDill AFB is managed by Harbor Bay. You can reach their office to discuss availability or for specific questions regarding your personal circumstances at 1 (813) 840-2000.
1. Chevron ParkRanks: E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5 Chevron Park offers a variety of floorplans in 2, 3, and 4-bedroom configurations. There are single-floor ranch homes and multi-level duplexes with carports. The ranch homes come with an attached garage, a porch, huge closets, and multiple bathrooms. The duplexes offer a large open concept living area with a kitchen, living room, and dining room all open and accessible. You can watch the family relax by the TV while warming up dinner. This is a great community with a homey feel and a suburban vibe. Chevron Park holds a dog park, a human park with picnic amenities, and a playground.
2. Freedom CoveRanks: E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5 Freedom Cove is a community with 3 and 4-bedroom duplexes with 2.5 bathrooms each. These homes are architecturally interesting and include double carports and screened-in porches. The neighborhood contains two playgrounds, a dog park, a basketball court, and soccer fields. It’s a nice place for families to have their own space to relax. The floorplans here are named after predatory birds.
3. Heritage CoveRanks: E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5 Heritage Cove is a luxury neighborhood on base. The community is landscaped with palm trees and the homes are large with open floor plans. They come in 2, 3, and 4-bedroom configurations with 1-2.5 bathrooms. Every home has a double carport and residents can easily walk to the two playgrounds and the community center. There’s also a dog park and a butterfly garden.
4. Independence ParkRanks: O1-O6 Independence Park is filled with luxurious duplexes with 3 and 4-bedroom configurations. They boast water views, vinyl floors, huge closets, and 2.5 bathrooms. There are porches in front and decks on the back. The elementary school and community center are very close by. Independence Park is a beautiful community with fountains and carefully curated landscaping. There’s a dog park, several ponds, two multi-use sports fields, and three playgrounds in the neighborhood.
5. Liberty CoveRanks: E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-6, E-7, E-8 Liberty Cove is a community of townhouses next to the golf course. The townhomes are 3 or 4 bedrooms with 2.5 bathrooms. Each home has its own garage. There are trails in the neighborhood for walking or running, a playground, and community grills. The homes contain a spacious master, a huge extra storage room next to the garage, and a patio out back.
ConclusionThere’s a series of warm and welcoming communities at MacDill AFB, and it’s hard to go wrong if you’re planning to live on base. Check out each of these neighborhoods and ensure that you’re making the right choice for the needs of your family. Fortunately, the homes are open across the ranks, so eligibility won’t be much of an obstacle. Each neighborhood features its own generous amenities as well, so wherever you end up, you’re going to have access to a number of great community features. Call the office to find out what’s available at the time of your move to make sure that your first pick is still attainable. If you’re able to secure a home at MacDill AFB housing, you and your family will be well taken care of.
More like this: 25 Of the Best Things to Do Near MacDill AFB
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts