THE MINUTEMAN SCHOLARSHIP COULD GET YOU FULL TUITION THROUGH THE ARMY RESERVE
By MyBaseGuide Staff Member
If you’re a young Army Reserve candidate and haven’t heard of the Minuteman Scholarship, then you better tune in. By signing on to join the Army Reserves, you have the chance to apply to get your tuition at a higher education institution fully paid for. There are rules and stipulations, however. Check out everything you need to know about the program below.
Suggested read:Have a Pulse? The Military Wants YOU!
What Is the Minuteman Scholarship?The Army Minuteman Scholarship, also known as the Minuteman Campaign, is a scholarship that GRFD (Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty) candidates can apply for in order to earn full tuition and fees or up to $10,000 for room and board each year at a public or private education institution. The scholarship is offered as a way to enhance the total Army force and is a great incentive for young folks who are thinking about joining the military in some capacity.
Army Reserve Minuteman Scholarship OptionsThe scholarship isn’t a one-and-done type of deal. There are multiple scholarship types offered each year to several different candidates. These scholarship types include the following:
- A 4-year scholarship.
- A 3-year scholarship.
- A 2-year scholarship.
Scholarship QualificationsTo be eligible for this scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.
- Currently in the U.S. Army Reserve or eligible to enlist.
- Are between the ages of 17 and 28 (you cannot turn 31 by the last day of December on the year of commissioning).
- Have a valid Chapter 2 MEPS physical.
- Can pass the Cadet Command Physical Fitness Assessment.
- Have a verified college or university acceptance letter.
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Have a minimum SAT score of 850, ACT score of 19, or GT score of 110.
- Participate in the Simultaneous Membership Program.
- Meet AR 600-9 body composition standards.
- Serve your 8-year obligation with an actively drilling unit.
- For the 4-year scholarship, only incoming freshmen who are attending a participating ROTC program can be awarded.
- For the 3-year scholarship, only incoming college sophomores who pay the last three years of benefits can be awarded.
- For the 2-year scholarship, only incoming juniors or grad students who pay the last two years of benefits can be awarded.
Minuteman Scholarship Deadline 2023 and Application RequirementsTo be eligible for the Minuteman Scholarship, first and foremost you must obtain and submit a nomination letter. You can get a nomination letter from any of the following sources:
- Army Reserve Ambassador.
- USAR Major Subordinate Command Commander; request point of contact from local Army recruiter or ROTC program.
- Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army.
For this year, the Minuteman Scholarship deadline 2023 is August 4.Don’t wait until the last minute to get your letter and application in. Start sourcing the letter now and submit it as soon as possible to avoid any unforeseen circumstances that may make you ineligible for the scholarship.
Rewarding You for Your ServiceBeing a part of the military in any capacity is a rewarding and honorable experience. To those young folks out there looking to join the reserves, we salute you! The Minuteman Scholarship is only the beginning of the amazing benefits that will be afforded to you by military life.
Read next:What To Expect After Contacting an Army Recruiting Office
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts