PLAN YOUR VISIT TO THE NAS PENSACOLA MUSEUM
By Buddy Blouin
Within the community of Pensacola, Florida, lies a museum dedicated to many of the service members who help keep Americans free along the pristine white beaches down the road and all throughout the world. The NAS Pensacola Museum is a living tribute to the service and tradition of those who have and are serving in the U.S. Navy and its various aviation components.
More like this:NAS Pensacola: In-Depth Welcome Center
Is the NAS Pensacola Museum Open?Yes, the NAS Pensacola Museum is open, but not to the public. Ever since the shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola was called an act of terrorism, security measures have been increased, and all visitors must be carrying a Department of Defense (DoD) ID. Some civilians may be able to visit the NAS Museum in Pensacola, but only if they are escorted at all times by someone permitted via a DoD ID. It’s an unfortunate safety precaution that was put in place ever since 2019. Known as the Trusted Traveler Program, those using this program should confirm any concerns with NAS Pensacola before visiting, or access may be denied. The safety measures for the Pensacola Naval Museum were complicated further by the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. As with virtually all public areas during this time, procedures and access were restricted to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus, which hindered any potential reopening plans. As of the time of this writing, there are alleged plans to reopen civilian access to the NAS Pensacola Museum; however, nothing actionable has taken place just yet. Hopefully, the museum and NAS Pensacola as a whole can continue to move forward peacefully and enjoy better days on the beautiful horizon it calls home.
Exhibits, Artifacts, and the Famous Blue AngelsThose who curate and maintain the Naval Air Station Pensacola Museum do so with gusto. The NAS Pensacola Museum is a highly informative, interactive museum featuring over 4,000 artifacts, 150+ restored aircraft, and much more. These pieces of history showcase the dedication that comes from the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. Visitors are able to enjoy various films that rotate on its giant digital-screen theater, grab a bite to eat at the Cubi Bar Café, and even use Flight Simulators to get in on the action. Memorabilia is available for purchase at the Flight Deck Store, and various exhibits are set up throughout the museum to enhance the experience. NAS Pensacola is also home to the world-famous Blue Angels. The Blue Angels Museum in Pensacola helps deliver an up-close look at the history and legacy of the Blue Angels U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron.
Planning Your Trip to the National Naval Aviation Museum Made EasyThe Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL, has had to deal with unimaginable circumstances that should never happen to anyone, but especially those who are helping keep the rest of us safe from violent threats. This means that planning a trip to the museum is imperative.
- Contacting ahead is the best way to know where you stand and if access is available to you and your party.
1 (850) 452-8450is a specific hotline set up to answer questions related to visiting the museum.
- Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC) holders may also be able to gain access but are encouraged to visit the Naval Air Station Pensacola official website for more information.
- NAS Pensacola Museum is located about 10 miles from downtown Pensacola and around 17 miles from Pensacola Beach. Traffic can be considerable; however, peak times, including holidays, events, and summer, can see traffic rise exponentially.
- Pets are not allowed.
- If you require a wheelchair, it can be provided for you at the museum.
- The museum FAQs are a valuable resource that can also help you plan your trip in a number of ways. Here, you can find information regarding large parties, donating, movies that are currently playing, and more.
- The National Naval Aviation Museum is open Monday-Sunday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. except for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Year’s Day, under normal circumstances.
Suggested read:27 of the Best NAS Pensacola Things To Do
Image: kirkikis - stock.adobe.com
NAS Pensacola Museum
National Naval Aviation Museum
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts