By MyBaseGuide Staff Member

Naval Base Kitsap rules and Regulations


Photography on Naval Base Kitsap (NBK) is restricted. Sailors should contact their chain of command and guests must have permission from their sponsor before engaging in any photography. While photography without a pass is authorized in general use spaces on the upper base of Bangor and outside of the Controlled Industrial Area (CIA) in Bremerton, tenant commands, regardless of their location on the base, may have more restrictive photography limitations within their areas of jurisdiction. Strict no-photography zones include any area within the Operational Area (lower base on Bangor) and the Controlled Industrial Area (CIA) on Bremerton. No photography zones apply to both military and civilian alike and may result in confiscation of equipment and potential security violations.


Unofficial Foreign National Visits

U.S. citizens already possessing authority for base access may, with prior approval, sponsor foreign nationals for weddings, MWR special events or as a guest in housing. Entry authorization must be requested to Security at least five working days in advance of the visit. Requests should be presented to Naval Base Kitsap Security Admin, 211A in Building 1200, Suite 515, 1200 Skate St. or Keyport Pass and ID Office, Building 916. Sponsors will personally meet their foreign national guests at the Bremerton or Bangor Pass and ID Offices.


After approval is obtained, during normal working hours, registration is required at any NBK Pass and ID Office; after normal working hours, registration can be accomplished at the main gates.


DoD Decals and Parking Aboard NBK

All personnel assigned to Puget Sound activities must register their privately-owned vehicles (POVs) at a NBK Pass and ID Office. All POVs, including motorcycles, operated on NBK must have proof of insurance in the vehicle or with the operator. The insurance coverage must meet Washington State insurance requirements. Operators must also have in their possession a valid state driver’s license.


All vehicles are subject to random vehicle inspections while on federal installations. Items prohibited on all federal installations include explosives (including pistols, rifles, etc.), ammunition and weapons such as switch blades, controlled substances and alcoholic beverages (open containers).


Parking on Naval Base Kitsap Bremerton is strictly limited and designated only by parking pass holders, except for customer parking at the Commissary, Navy Exchange (NEX), Dental, Sam Adams and Fitness Center parking lots. Parking for all active duty military personnel assigned to Naval Base Kitsap, its tenants, homeported ships and ships undergoing overhaul in PSNS, is located in the Montgomery Parking Garage and adjacent lot. All POV’s authorized in the assigned parking lots must bear a DoD decal. Arriving on base without your POV is easy and is highly encouraged. The Navy works very closely with Kitsap Transit, the local mass-transit system provider. More information on commuting and carpooling options can be found at http://www.kitsaptransit.org or through your chain of command.


Bremerton Parking

POVs may be registered at the Pass and ID Office in Building 981, 476-4882/4883, located near the Missouri Gate and open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. A one day temporary pass can be issued at the Charleston Avenue gate after hours, weekends and holidays.


Bangor Parking

POVs may be registered at the Pass and ID Office in Building 1035 located near the Trident Gate and open Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. A one day temporary pass can be issued at the Trident gate after hours, weekends and holidays.


Keyport Parking

POVs may be registered at the Pass and ID Office in Building 916 located near the Main Gate.


Naval Base Kitsap Weapons Registration

Weapons of any kind are prohibited on Naval Base Kitsap. Weapons are defined as firearms or other devices or instruments such as bow and arrows, brass knuckles, switchblades or butterfly knives, compressed air or gas powered guns, nun chucks, etc. Private firearms are authorized in family housing if registered with the NBK Small Arms Training Center (SATC), 396-5458 for Bremerton, or Bangor Security, 315-4064 if in Bangor housing. Only weapons owned by residents will be registered. Weapons belonging to residents of the barracks or ships must be registered with the NBK SATC Kitsap-Bremerton Police Headquarters in Building 433, who will coordinate weapons storage. For more information, Bremerton Security may be reached at 476-8232.


Motorcycle & Vehicle Safety

The Navy Region Northwest Safety Office manages a Traffic Safety Program that provides guidance for safe use of installation roads by vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians.


Motorcycle and defensive driving safety classes are held at Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Keyport.


Courses offered include:

The MSF Basic Rider Course (BRC),

which is tailored to new or prospective riders with little or no riding experience. This is a two-day 16-hour class that teaches basic motor­cycling skills and proper attitudes promoting safe motorcycle operation. This course is an important pre-requisite to becoming a licensed motorcycle rider. This course is required Navy-wide in order to operate a motorcycle on any naval installation.


The MSF Experienced Rider Course (ERC),

which is designed as a refresher for the experienced licensed rider. It facilitates continued skill development in a controlled environment and allows riders to identify and improve targeted riding techniques.


The MSF Military Sport Bike Rider Course (MSRC),

which was designed specifically for the Navy by the Naval Safety Center and the MSF. The purpose of the MSRC is to teach riders the functional differences between sport bikes and non-sport bikes. It also covers specific attitudes and behaviors required to ride a sport bike responsibly and safely. This course is required Navy-wide in order to operate a Sport bike on any naval installation.


The MSF American Automobile Association Driver Improvement Course (AAA-DIP)

is an eight hour course required for military and DoD civilian personnel if they operate a government motor vehicle (GMV) as their primary duty, or they operate a GMV more than eight hours a week as part of their incidental duties; or they have been convicted of a serious moving traffic violation while operating a GMV or who have been determined to be at fault in a traffic mishap while on/off base; or they have been convicted of a serious moving traffic violation while operating a private motor vehicle (PMV) or who have been determined to be at fault in a traffic mishap while on a DoN installation; or they are a military member age 25 or under and have not received their initial four hour traffic safety training.


The Traffic Safety Coordinator has also created a Motorcycle Riders Safety Council (MRSC), open to all riders. The MRSC is broken up into two committees. The Mentorship Committee works to eliminate the risk-taking attitude problems so prevalent among riders. They set up fun rides, help with motorcycle fairs and organize rider clubs. The Focus Committee discusses and resolves problems and safety issues and works to make the MRSC the best motorcycle program in the Navy. For more information on any of these programs, contact the Region Traffic Safety Coordinator at 396-4250. Check out all off the above programs on the Web at https://www.cnic.navy.mil/cnrnw/Programs/Operations/Safety/index.htm.


Specific traffic rules for Naval
Base Kitsap installations include:

Individuals are not authorized to run, jog, or walk in the roadways during high traffic density and peak traffic periods.


Personnel jogging on an installation roadway shall jog facing oncoming traffic, in single file, and obey traffic rules.


Skateboards, roller-skates, roller-blades and other similar equipment may only be used on base when used in approved areas. Proper PPE, to minimally include head protection, shall be worn by all personnel.


Bicycle operators riding on an installation roadway shall ride with the traffic, in single file, obeying traffic rules while properly wearing brightly colored reflective clothing between sunset and sunrise and wearing a bicycle helmet approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission or Snell Memorial Foundation at all times. All active duty military personnel shall wear an approved bicycle helmet on/off a Navy installation.


Required safety equipment for bicycles will include working brakes and reflectors. Additionally, for bicycles ridden between sunset and sunrise, a white light on the front with the light being visible from a distance of at least 500 feet, and a red reflector on the rear that is visible at a distance of at least 600 feet is required. These lights may be steady burning or blinking. Additionally, bright clothing including vests, caps, and ankle and wrist straps, with retro-reflective materials incorporated in them is required to make the bicyclists more noticeable.


Wearing portable headphones, earphones, cellular hands-free devices, bipods or other listening devices while running, jogging, walking, bicycling, skating or skate boarding in roadways and streets impairs recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements and the approach of emergency vehicles. Use of these devices while performing the noted activities on Navy installations is prohibited.


Gas-powered or electric mini-bikes, pocket bikes, or motorcycles that do not meet DOT motor vehicle standards will not be used on Navy installation roadways.


Do not use any hand-held cellular phone while operating a moving vehicle, except for Fire and Emergency Response or Law enforcement/Security purposes. The prohibition against using handheld cellular phones includes hands-free cellular phone devices that require the use of portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices worn inside the ear canal, around or covering the ear. The prohibition does not include handsfree cellular phone devices that are console/dashmounting or otherwise secured cellular phones with integrated features such as voice-activation, speed dial, speakerphone or other similar technology for sending and receiving calls.


Do not utilize Handheld Wireless phones while operating DoD Government owned or leased vehicles either on or off base.


Washington State

Driver/Vehicle Licensing Resident Driving Privileges

All resident drivers of Washington, driving a motor vehicle on public roadways in Washington State, must have either a valid Washington State driver’s license or instruction permit in their possession.


Non-Resident Driving Privileges

A resident of another state, who is at least 16 years old, must be in possession of a current driver’s license from their home state. Also eligible are residents of other states who are at least 15 years old and in possession of a valid instruction permit issued by their home state. The instruction permit is valid only when a licensed driver with at least five years driving experience is seated beside them.


A residence could be where you:

  • Establish a permanent home in the state
  • Are registered to vote
  • Receive state benefits
  • Apply for any state license
  • Seek in-state tuition fees


A Washington driver’s license issued to a service member, or the spouse or dependent child living with the service member, remains in effect while the person is serving in the armed forces. On the face of the Washington State driver’s license, in the place reserved for an expiration date, it will read MILITARY. If you have a driver’s license with a military expiration, or a regular license that remains in effect during the period of service even though the expiration date on the face of the license has passed, you should carry your active duty card as evidence that the license is valid.


License Plates

If you are active duty military, you have two choices for license plates: Washington, or your home-of-record state. If your vehicle carries plates from a foreign country or a state other than Washington or your home-of-record state, you have 60 days after you arrive to get Washington State plates or register your vehicle in your home state.


If your vehicle is being licensed in Washington for the first time, the State Patrol must verify the vehicle identification number before you can buy plates.


Mandatory Insurance

If you operate a motor vehicle in Washington State, you must have liability insurance and carry with you an insurance identification card verifying you have a valid vehicle liability insurance policy.


Drivers of government vehicles, motorcycles and common or contract carrier vehicles are exempt from this insurance requirement.


Motorcycle Endorsement

Washington law requires that all motorcycle operators pass the motorcycle knowledge and skill tests. These tests are in addition to the regular automobile driver license tests. However, if you have completed an approved basic motorcycle rider course, you may bring your completion card to any Licensing Service Office within 90 days, take the knowledge test and the skill test will be waived.


In addition, motorcycle operators must have a Navy recognized Motorcycle Safety Certificate prior to being issued a base decal. For more information on driver and vehicle licensing in the State of Washington, visit the Department of Licensing website at http://www.dol.wa.gov.


Drinking and Driving

Washington State’s drunk driving laws are some of the toughest enforced anywhere in the United States. The blood-alcohol limit in Washington is 0.08. Washington laws give police more power when arresting people charged with DUI. They can suspend driver’s licenses, impound vehicles and pursue drivers across state lines.


Many of the laws were designed to make sentences tougher on DUI offenders, especially repeat DUI offenders. A first offense carries a minimum sentence of a day in jail plus a $350 fine and the loss of your driver’s license for 90 days. A second conviction carries a minimum sentence of up to a week in jail, plus a fine and the loss of your driver’s license for one year. In addition, you will be required to attend a mandatory drug and alcohol course and mandatory evaluation course. Washington laws also prescribe ignition interlock and electronic home monitoring as additional sanctions for DUI drivers. The offender is required to pay the cost of the ignition interlock rental which is about $2 per day; electronic home monitoring costs the offender between $10 and $15 per day.


The Department of Licensing will keep DUI convictions on record for 15 years, meaning the offender’s insurance rates will be adversely affected for 15 years.


The state and local police and the Navy urge the use of a designated driver, and, further, local naval commands offer a program called "safe ride home." The safe ride home program is for all active duty members. Its hours of operation are Monday through Thursday, 4 p.m. to 7 a.m. and all day Friday through Sunday. For a safe ride home call 396-6539.


Bicycle Regulations

A person riding a bicycle on Washington highways or roadways is granted all of the rights and will be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.


In addition, he/she must:

  • Keep to the extreme side of the roadway.
  • Carry no more passengers than there are seats available.
  • Keep at least one hand on the handlebars.
  • Have a headlight and tail light reflector.
  • Have adequate brakes.
  • Never perform stunts on streets or highways.


During the hours of darkness, every bicycle must be equipped with a lamp on the front, which will emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear.


For more information on Washington bicycle laws, please visit this website at http://www.bicyclealliance.org/safety/rewlaw.htm.


Naval Base Kitsap, Keyport Visitor Procedures/Access Procedures

Civilian, military and contractor personnel visiting NUWC Keyport must first check in through the Pass and ID Office, Building 916, located at the main gate. A current driver’s license or picture identification is required. For further information, call 396-2583/2585.


Military personnel with a Common Access Card who are checking in may report directly to the Military Personnel Office in Building 48. For further information call 396-2554/2555. After 4 p.m., call the Duty Office at 396-2244.


Standard Navy decals for private vehicles are required for access to facilities at Keyport. These decals are available at the Pass and ID Office, Building 916. To obtain a decal, a current driver’s license, registration slip in the driver’s name and proof of car insurance are required. A temporary visitor’s pass may be issued for a vehicle without a decal when an authorized person establishes the need for entry. Cameras, explosives, weapons, ammunition, illegal drugs, or narcotics and other hazardous material, or contraband are prohibited items and may not be brought onboard the base. Such items will be confiscated and possession may subject the person to criminal prosecution. Vehicles are subject to random inspections on both entering and leaving the base.


Camera passes may be applied for at the Pass and ID Office. For further information, call 396-2583/2585.


Naval Magazine Indian Island Visitor Procedures/Access Requirements


Visitors must have prior approval before visiting Indian Island; those arriving with only a vehicle decal will not be allowed access. A CNRNW badge is the most efficient access media and those who do not have badges must send a fax or an e-mail to a sponsoring representative of the Region or NAVMAG two working days prior to visit. The required information will be full name, dates of visit, SSN or driver’s license number.


Naval Magazine Indian
Island Vehicle Inspections

During the vehicle inspection personnel will be directed out of their vehicles while the inspection is conducted. Visitors must have proof of insurance, registration and driver’s license. No weapons are allowed on base. No cameras will be allowed on NAVMAG without a camera pass.


Canadian Border Crossing
Information and Local Laws

Requirements and rules to cross the Canadian border have recently changed. The following is quoted from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) website: "On Jan. 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate." Further requirements are currently proposed and expected to be implemented by summer 2008. For the most current policies regarding border crossing, visit the DHS website at http://www.dhs.gov. It is advisable to contact the embassy or consulate general of the country you intend to travel to in order to find out what documents the country you are visiting require since they may differ from the requirements to reenter the United States. Using a passport is the easiest way for U.S. citizens to travel to Canada.


Vehicles (including boats and trailers) may enter and leave freely for touring purposes without payment of customs assessments for up to a 12-month period. Necessary permits are issued at the port of entry. If you choose to cross the border by private boat, you must check in with U.S. Customs upon your return to the U.S.


Other Important Information When Crossing Into Canada

Hunting and fishing licenses are required in all provinces. Visit http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw to find out more.


Transportation of plants and produce is rigidly controlled. Check with customs officials for complete regulations. Visit http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw to find out more.




Get the latest news and military discounts