WAR BOARD GAMES BRING FANTASY, STRATEGY, AND FRIENDS TOGETHER
By Buddy Blouin
There are tons of board games out there that require strategy, cunning, and a bit of luck. But sometimes you want more. Whimsy and fantasy provide the perfect backdrop for any game, especially war board games. Many big names in entertainment such as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, offer entertaining, engaging gameplay with references to some of our favorite universes.
The 5 Best War Board Games for Your Next Game NightMatching wits and using strategies is a fun, competitive way to spend time with friends and family, but war board games don’t always have to be so serious. There are plenty of board games involving conflicts that only exist in media and in our minds. Here are the five best ways to bring those worlds to life at your next game night:
1. Star Wars Outer Rim Board GameThe Star Wars board games take the galaxy from a long time ago, very far away, and deliver the same adventure directly to your home. As many as four players can enjoy an average of three to four hours of gameplay as bounty hunters, mercenaries, and smugglers collide. You can play as iconic scoundrels such as Boba Fett or Han Solo as you build your crew, expand your influence, and make a name for yourself throughout the cosmos.
2. Ares Games War of The Ring 2nd EditionThe battle for Middle-Earth continues thanks to the War of The Ring board game. There are hundreds of figures, a massive game board, and more than 110 cards that help as many as four players immerse themselves in J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord Of The Rings universe. It’s the perfect combination of fantasy and strategy that provides hours of fun and lore to enjoy.
3. Star Wars Rebellion Board GameIs it fair that the intergalactic franchise that based its entire premise on the fact that there is a war breaking out has multiple war board games cracking our top five list? Yeah, we thought so too. This is a classic matchup in which players can side with either the Galactic Empire or Rebel Alliance as each side uses turn-based strategies to either complete or prevent the construction of the Death Star. Use the Force and your tactics to overpower your opponents.
4. Gears Of War: The Board GameThe Locust have risen and it's up to the Coalition of Ordered Governments (COG) to save their home planet of Sera from the attack. Fans of Gears Of War and Gears Of War 2 will delight as players are presented with a variety of missions that highlight some of the best moments from the beloved, award-winning video game franchise.
5. Ares Games This War of Mine: The Board GameThis War Of Mine: The Board Game may not take us far away into a distant universe, but it doe a great job of immersing us in a situation Americans have been fortunate to largely avoid. Based on the critically acclaimed Stream game, players are stuck in a war-torn city, only instead of being active fighters, they’re left to survive as a civilian. Maintain your hideout and use your wits to survive a war that continues to rip apart you and your fellow men.
War Board Games Provide Competition and Human ConnectionVideo games, books, and movies are all great entertainment, but it’s great to have options available that connect our worlds to fantasy in a more social manner. War board games continue to bridge the gap, provide a healthy outlet, and serve as the backdrop to many great social gathers throughout the country.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts