VISIT PENSACOLA FOR THE 2022 BLUE ANGELS AIR SHOW!
By Buddy Blouin
The Blue Angels Air Show showcases some of the world's most talented pilots, representing the hard work and dedication shown by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels through aviation. It’s a great time to get out in the sun and enjoy an entertaining day of acrobatics, patriotism, and some of the most pristine beaches available on the Gulf Coast. This event is excellent, but being prepared is highly recommended. Pre-pandemic attendance reached around a quarter of a million spectators, so it’s important to plan accordingly. Whether it’s your first go-'round or your annual visit, we’ve compiled a great guide to help you maximize your experience to get the most out of the Blue Angels Air Show 2022 and your overall trip to Pensacola, Florida.
Read next:Dive on In! The USS Massachusetts Is a Must for NAS Pensacola
History of the Blue Angels Pensacola Beach Air ShowWhile serving as Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Chester Nimitz took on a different kind of mission. In 1946, Nimitz set out to create a flying exhibition team to boost the morale of the U.S. Navy as well as generate interest throughout the public in naval aviation. Since then, the Blue Angels, formally known as the U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, have been wowing audiences and defending America all around the world. Stationed in Naval Air Station Pensacola, the Navy Air Show continues to draw large crowds, generate interest in naval aviation, and further the legacy of lifting spirits among the Armed Forces.
When Is the Blue Angels Air Show at Pensacola Beach?The main event for the Blue Angels will run on Saturday, July 9, 2022, at 2:00 p.m., but remember that there are many other performances from a variety of civilian pilots, stunt performers, and acrobatics specialists beforehand. This time is subject to change, as there are weather conditions to consider. But the air show is much more than a single day. Take a look at the Blue Angels Air Show schedule here with some other important times to keep track of during the week.
- Thursday, July 7, 2022, is when the Blue Angels will have a full practice that will allow spectators a sneak preview of the show they can expect on Saturday. The fun starts at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, July 8, 2022, you’ll be able to see not only the Blue Angels practice but also practice runs from the stunt performers and other civilian aerial acrobats you can expect to see on Saturday. The practice starts right before noon.
How Long Is the Blue Angels Air Show in Pensacola?You can expect the Blue Angels Air Show to last around 45 minutes. There are a few factors to this, including the weather, but that is the expected benchmark for the show. The length of the show is only part of what you’ll need to consider, however. This is an all-day event with plenty of pre-show fun in the sun and places to go once the planes are finished flying. Prepare accordingly for hot, long hours on the beach and the potential for summertime thunderstorms passing through.
Tips and Tricks for the DayTaking on the Blue Angels Air Show is a marathon, not a sprint. You’re going to want to take your time and know the important tips and tricks to get the most out of your day. Take a look at these helpful tips to get you ready for a weekend you won’t forget:
- If you want a good spot, you’re going to need to wake up early. Real early. We keep telling you, so don’t say you haven’t been warned. You’ll want to be on the beach by 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. if you want a good spot, so be in the car by 5:00 or 6:00 a.m.
- You are going to the beach all day long. Start hydrating the day before and keep hydrating throughout the day.
- Speaking of drinking, you can take your favorite drinks in a cooler, but you’ll need to partake responsibly. Also, no glass is allowed on the beach.
- Tents are allowed, and umbrellas are highly recommended, but be sure to be respectful of those around you.
- Take a dip before the show to stay cool, especially because the water is closed once the planes get going.
- Beach attire and essentials, including sunscreen, sunglasses, towels, bags, and coolers, are a must. Nothing too over the top, though, including boards and other big toys. Again, there are going to be a lot of people.
- Always avoid dangerous tides and be sure to listen to all officials and warnings.
- The Casino Beach lot is a great parking option, but if it’s filled, you’ll have to find parking elsewhere. There are trolleys at the Casino Beach lot that provide transportation to beach access points on Friday and Saturday.
Enjoy an Air Show With Blue Angels and Beach Views GaloreFor locals and travelers alike, the Blue Angels Air Show is a fun time no matter how you slice it. The culture of the military in Pensacola Beach is evident throughout those who serve at NAS Pensacola and the patriotic civilians that call the community home. Visiting Pensacola Beach is a great trip year-round, but there isn’t quite anything that can beat a weekend full of fun in the sand with some of the most prestigious pilots in the world soaring up high.
Related read:Plan Your Visit to the NAS Pensacola Museum
Image: Tad Denson - stock.adobe.com
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts