33 OF THE BEST FORT WAINWRIGHT RESTAURANTS
IntroductionWelcome to Fort Wainwright located in Fairbanks, Alaska. Fort Wainwright is only a 15 minute drive to historic Downtown Fairbanks, which still boasts buildings that date all the way back to the days of the gold rush. Additionally, Fort Wainwright is only a 20 minute drive from Fairbanks International Airport. There are currently 7,200 soldiers, 6,500 family members, 2,400 civilians and contractors, and 7,800 retirees and veterans on the post. With so many people available to interact with on post daily, you will certainly get the insider’s scoop on the best places to eat around town. But to help get you started, below is a list of delicious restaurants in the area. Maybe you already know what kind of food you’re in the mood for. If so, click any of the links below to go straight to the information. Because of coronavirus restrictions, it is best to call ahead to confirm restaurant hours before you go. (1-5) Exchange Food Court (6-7) Fast Food on Fort Wainwright (8-10) American Restaurants on Fort Wainwright (11-14) Burgers and Sandwiches Restaurants near Fort Wainwright (15-17) Coffee near Fort Wainwright (18-19) Barbecue Restaurants near Fort Wainwright (20-23) Mexican Restaurants near Fort Wainwright (24-29) Steak and Seafood Restaurant near Fort Wainwright (30-33) Asian Restaurants near Fort Wainwright
Suggested Read:Fort Wainwright Alaska: In-Depth Welcome Center
Fort Wainwright RestaurantsDining options on post offer quick bites to go, catering, and more. Check out the post’s MWR website for more information on post restaurants and dining options. Due to ongoing coronavirus concerns, it is best to confirm restaurant hours and restrictions before you go.
Fort Wainwright Food CourtBldg 3703B Ft Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone:1 (907) 356-1357 The food court at the Fort Wainwright Exchange offers a variety of dining choices, including Charleys Philly Steaks, Starbucks, Subway, and Taco Bell. For information on more Fort Wainwright restaurants, visit the exchange website.
1. CharleysPhone: 1 (907) 356-1973
2. PopeyesPhone: 1 (907) 356-1267
3. StarbucksPhone: 1 (907) 356-1290
4. SubwayPhone: 1 (907) 356-1973
5. Papa John’sPhone: 1 (907) 451-7272
6. SubwayBldg. 4058 Ft Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone:1 (907) 370-0007
7. Burger KingBldg. 4058 Ft Wainwright, AK 99703 |Phone: 1 (907) 356-3130
8. Gold Rush LoungeBldg 3702 Ft Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone:1 (907) 353-2654 Located inside the on-post bowling alley, The Gold Rush Lounge specializes in high-end appetizers and cocktails. Not something you’d expect to find here, but it is a must go for unwinding after work with your fellow soldiers or to celebrate your perfect bowling score.
9. Mother Lode CafeBldg. 3702 Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone:1 (907) 353-2654 What pairs well with bowling, food! Also located in the on-post bowling alley, Mother Lode Cafe serves burgers, fries, nachos, and more!
10. Wolves Den3720 Neely Rd. Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone:1 (907) 353-2060 This Chow Hall serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner at a discounted rate.
Best Restaurants in FairbanksThere’s plenty to do around Fort Wainwright, specifically in the beautiful city of Fairbanks. While you are off post getting to know the area, make sure to be on the lookout for any local, unfamiliar restaurants—who knows, maybe some of these local gems will become a few of your favorite spots to dine. These locations below include some of the most popular options in and around Fairbanks.
Burgers and Sandwiches
11. Friar Tuck's Hoagie House427 Merhar Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 374-6000 Friar Tuck’s Hoagie House offers diners delicious sandwich options on hot and cold hoagie rolls, as well as salad options, wings, onion soup, and more.
12. DW Grill & Catering617 27th Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 374-3945 DW Grill & Catering offers fresh sandwiches, wraps, and burgers.
13. Mom's Kitchen537 Gaffney Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 374-6667 Mom’s Kitchen is open for lunch and dinner and offers visitors burgers and sandwiches, as well as a few Asian-inspired dishes such as fried rice and chicken green curry rice.
14. Oasis Restaurant & Lounge734 University Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99709
Phone:1 (907) 458-8020 Oasis Restaurant & Lounge serves up breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The menu includes sandwiches, burgers, seafood, ribs, and more.
Coffee Shops in Fairbanks, Alaska
15. Starbucks20 College Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 251-0120
16. Bucko's Coffee281 Bentley Trust Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 457-2050 Bucko’s Coffee opens for business bright and early at 5:30 Monday-Saturday and offers classic coffee options, smoothies, and their own specialty drink options.
17. McCafferty's, A Coffee House, Etc.408 N Cushman St. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 456-6853 At McCafferty’s, A Coffee House, Etc. you can expect to enjoy a variety of coffee options, along with Italian sodas and soup options.
18. Big Daddy's BBQ & Banquet Hall107 Wickersham St. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 452-2501 At Big Daddy’s BBQ & Banquet Hall diners can enjoy bbq nachos and quesadillas, as well as bbq sandwiches, ribs, and more.
19. Aloha BBQ Grill402 5th Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 479-7770 Aloha BBQ Grill gives patrons a taste of Hawaiian cuisine with its island interpretations of bbq, burgers, and fried noodle dishes.
20. Miguel's Authentic Mexican Cuisine1235 Airport Way Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 374-8399 Miguel’s Authentic Mexican Cuisine offers customers a variety of delicious dishes, ranging from fajitas to baby back ribs.
21. Gallo's Mexican Restaurant60 College Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 455-9225 Gallo's Mexican Restaurant has been a staple in Alaska for more than 35 years and offers all of your favorite Mexican dishes, such as enchiladas, tostadas, taquitos, and a large variety of lunch specials.
22. El Dorado530 3rd Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 328-2900 El Dorado offers guests classic Tex-Mex cuisine, along with other more traditional options like Menudo and tamales.
23. Taco Azteca3401 Airport Way Fairbanks, AK 99709
Phone:1 (907) 455-8226 Along with fantastic dishes, Taco Azteca has great drink specials and wonderful live mariachi music.
Steak and Seafood
24. Roundup Steakhouse & Saloon2701 S. Cushman St. #6646 Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 479-3663 Roundup Steakhouse & Saloon is a steakhouse near Fort Wainwright that is open 7 days a week and stays open until 3 am on Fridays and Saturdays.
25. Brewster's Northgate354 Old Steese Hwy. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 374-9663 Brewster's Northgate has an extensive menu that includes their Alaskan Halibut Sandwich, their signature Brewster’s Top Sirloin, and a selection of other steak and seafood options.
26. Red Lantern Steak & Spirits813 Noble St. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 459-7725 Swing by Red Lantern Steak & Spirits to enjoy their calamari, their baked brie and crab dip, their reindeer meatloaf sandwich, or perhaps their steak and fries.
27. Wolf Run Restaurant3362 Wolf Run Fairbanks, AK 99709
Phone:1 (907) 458-0636 Wolf Run Restaurant provides diners with staple steakhouse dishes, such as surf and turf, prime rib, pork chops, and more.
28. Zach’s Restaurant1717 University Ave S. Fairbanks, AK 99709
Phone:1 (907) 479-3650 The menu at Zach’s restaurant includes handcrafted cocktails, Alaskan beers, and popular comfort food dishes like ribs, meatloaf, and stroganoff.
29. The Pump House Restaurant Fairbanks796 Chena Pump Rd.| Fairbanks, AK 99709
Phone:1 (907) 479-8452 The Pump House Restaurant Fairbanks offers guests great steak and seafood dishes in a unique, picture-perfect setting by the Chena River.
30. Fushimi Japanese607 Old Steese Hwy. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 328-0988 If you are craving sushi make sure to swing by Fushimi Japanese and try some of their fresh sashimi or sushi rolls.
31.Simply Thai3611 Rewak Dr. Fairbanks, AK 99709
Phone:1 (907) 455-8646 Simply Thai boasts delicious Thai favorites, such as pad thai, drunken noodles, and a great selection of curry dishes.
32. Jung’s Korean Restaurant59 College Rd. #217 Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 456-1800 Make sure to visit Jung’s Korean Restaurant when you’re in the mood for some incredible Korean bbq or stir-fry.
33. Thai Orchid Drive Thru908 Old Steese Hwy. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone:1 (907) 371-7117 Thai Orchid Drive Thru is the perfect option when you are craving Thai food on the go. Swing through the drive thru and pick up some Thai fried rice or red curry.
ConclusionThe restaurants that made our list are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to dining options in and around Fort Wainwright, but hopefully, this will provide you with a few great options as you get familiar with the food options nearby.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts