20 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO NEAR FORT DETRICK, MD
By Sean Bess
IntroductionWelcome to your new posting at Fort Detrick! The area offers a variety of exciting indoor and outdoor things to do on and near Fort Detrick for people of all ages. Below, each of the activities in the area has been organized into categories. You can click any of the categories to jump to the section if you already know what you want to do around Fort Detrick. (1-3) Golfing (4-6) Gyms (7-8) Movie Theaters (9-10) Bowling Alleys (11-13) Parks, Rivers, and Lakes (14-18) Nearby Attractions (19-20) Music and Arts Suggested Read: Fort Detrick, MD: In-Depth Welcome Center
Things to Do Near Fort Detrick, MDBe sure to take full advantage of the Fort Detrick MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) program that offers a network of support and leisure activities and services.
Fort Detrick Golf Course
1. Clustered Spires Golf Club8415 Gas House Pike Frederick, MD 21701
Phone:1 (301) 600-1295 Clustered Spires Golf Club is an 18-hole, 185-acre golf course that opened in 1991. This golf course has a restaurant and offers golf lessons.
2. Richland Golf Club50 Glenbrook Dr. Middletown, MD 21769
Phone:1 (301) 371-0400 Richland Golf Club is an 18-hole golf course with a restaurant that is open daily for lunch and dinner.
3. Musket Ridge Golf Club3555 Brethren Church Rd. Myersville, MD 21773
Phone:1 (301) 293-9930 Musket Ridge Golf Club is an 18-hole, 150-acre golf course with a practice facility and a clubhouse that houses a restaurant and a pro shop.
Fort Detrick Gym
4. Fort Detrick Fitness Center1507 Porter St. Fort Detrick, MD 21702
Phone:1 (301) 619-2498 Fort Detrick Gym boasts tennis courts, indoor and outdoor pools, intramural sports, cardiovascular equipment and free weights.
5. Anytime Fitness2405 Whittier Dr. Frederick, MD 21702
Phone:1 (301) 668-2348 Anytime Fitness offers members access to the gym 24 hours a day. The gym boasts a wide variety of strength training machines, including cable machines, multi-stations, leg presses, bench presses and squat racks. Additionally, you can expect to find plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, free weights, racks, kettlebells, cable crossovers, rowing machines and a whole lot more.
6. Planet Fitness1080 W. Patrick St.| Frederick, MD 21703
Phone:1 (301) 698-8110 Planet Fitness strives to create an environment where anyone is welcome, regardless of one’s fitness level. Like most gyms, Planet Fitness offers an array of cardio machines, free weights and various weight machines. Additionally, Planet Fitness allows “Black Card” members to bring a guest anytime, use of tanning machines, use of massage chairs, 50% off drink purchases and 20% off purchases at reebok.com.
Movie Theaters Frederick, MD
7. Warehouse Cinemas Frederick1301 W. Patrick St. Frederick, MD 21702
Phone:1 (240) 397-5000 Warehouse Cinemas Frederick offers the newest movie releases, reserved seating, Dolby Atmos sound and fully stocked concession stands.
8. Regal Westview & IMAX5243 Buckeystown Pike Frederick, MD 21704
Phone:1 (844) 462-7342 Regal Westview & IMAX offers 2D and IMAX theaters with stadium-style seating.
Fort Detrick Bowling Alleys
9. Terrace LanesTerrace Lanes, 12 W College Terrace Frederick, MD 21701
Phone:1 (301) 662-2777 Terrace Lanes has 36 lanes, a pro shop, a snack bar, a full service bar, video games and a whole lot more.
10. Walkersville Bowling Center44 W Pennsylvania Ave. Walkersville, MD 21793
Phone:1 (301) 845-2244 Walkersville Bowling Center offers leagues, tournaments, youth programs, and a bar and grill with a variety of drink and food options.
11. Ballenger Creek Park5420 Ballenger Creek Pike Frederick, MD 21703
Phone:1 (301) 600-1646 Ballenger Creek Park offers guests multiple ball fields, grills, horseshoe pits, a nature trail, picnic tables and shelters, and more.
12. Ballenger Creek Dog Park5420 Ballenger Creek Pike Frederick, MD 21703
Phone:1 (301) 600-2353 If you are looking for somewhere to let your dog off leash to get some exercise, look no further than Ballenger Creek Dog Park. The park sits on 4 acres, and there are two dog areas, as well as benches and water.
13. Baker Park121 N. Bentz St. Frederick, MD 21701
Phone:1 (301) 600-1492 Baker Park is a 58-acre space with walking and running paths, bike paths, playgrounds and a lake. Also, this park is pet-friendly.
14. Adventure Park USA11113 W Baldwin Rd. Monrovia, MD 21770
Phone:1 (301) 865-6800 Adventure Park USA boasts roller coasters, go-karts, mini-golf, a tilt-a-whirl, a super slide, a carousel, spinning teacups, bumper boats, a ropes course, a rock-climbing wall, bumper cars, an arcade and much more.
15. @VR5 Willowdale Dr., Unit B13 Frederick, MD 21701
Phone:1 (240) 651-0335 @VR offers nine virtual reality stations where you can enjoy over 40 games including sports, action and adventure, sightseeing and others.
16. Spinners Pinball Arcade919 N. East St., Suite B Frederick, MD 21701
Phone:NA Spinners Pinball Arcade boasts 25 classic arcade games, 25 pinball machines and four classic video game consoles for visitors to enjoy.
17. Fourth Dimension Fun Center4725 Arcadia Dr. Frederick, MD 21703
Phone:1 (240) 651-0160 Fourth Dimension Fun Center offers guests bowling, laser tag, escape rooms, an arcade, a bar and dining room, and more.
18. City of Gaithersburg Water Park at Bohrer Park512 S. Frederick Ave. Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Phone:1 (301) 258-6445 The City of Gaithersburg Water Park at Bohrer Park boasts large swimming pools, multiple water features and water slides.
Music and Arts Frederick, MD
19. Maryland Ensemble Theatre31 W. Patrick St. Frederick, MD 21701
Phone:1 (301) 694-4744 Maryland Ensemble Theatre hosts plays, musicals and a variety of other live events.
20. Weinberg Center for the Arts20 W. Patrick St. Frederick, MD 21701
Phone:1 (301) 600-2828 Weinberg Center for the Arts hosts performances and events throughout the year, including concerts, comedy shows, book readings and more.
ConclusionWe hope this guide proves helpful as you get settled in and become more familiar with your new posting at Fort Detrick. As you can see from our list, there is a large variety of activities and attractions in and near Fort Detrick. So whatever your interests, or whether you prefer indoor or outdoor activities, there is certain to be something to keep you engaged and entertained.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts