17 OF THE BEST FORT SHAFTER THINGS TO DO
By Chris La Porte
IntroductionYour new posting at Fort Shafter is surrounded by the tropical paradise of Honolulu, Hawaii. The city itself is mainly supported by tourism, so you’ll find that there is plenty to do in the area that’s an adventure for everyone in the family. Be sure to take full advantage of the entertainment amenities on post that offers a wide range of leisure activities and services. And with restaurants, beautiful beaches, and a host of other activities nearby, there’s no shortage of Fort Shafter things to do. We have organized activities into categories below; click any of them to jump to the section if you already know what you want to do around the post. (1-3) Golfing (4-6) Gyms (7-8) Movie Theaters (9-10) Bowling Alleys (11-14) Beaches and Outdoor Rec (15-17) Museums
Suggested Read:Fort Shafter: In-Depth Welcome Center
Fort Shafter Things to Do, Nearby
Fort Shafter Golf Course
1. Walter J Nagorski Golf Course711 Morton Dr. Fort Shafter, HI 96858
Phone:1 (808) 438-9587 You’ll find the Walter J Nagorski Golf Course right on post. This 9 hole course is set right into the foothills of the valley, allowing for some great views of the ocean and downtown Honolulu while you play. This course has a chipping facility and practice greens, which is perfect for both beginners and experienced golfers alike. The Walter J Nagorski Golf Course is a part of the Fort Shafter MWR.
2. Honolulu Country Club1690 Ala Puumalu St. Honolulu, HI 96818
Phone:1 (808) 441-9400 Designed by Arnold Palmer and Francis Duane, the Honolulu Country Club is the pinnacle of the golfing experience on the island. This championship golf course is a private club with a plethora of benefits for members. Two restaurants serve up mouth-watering choices, and the golf pro shop is a must-stop.
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
3. Mamala Bay Golf Course625 Mamala Bay Dr. Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, HI 96853
Phone: 1 (808) 449-2304 Mamala Bay Golf Course is an 18-hole golf course with an incredible view right up alongside the beach, giving you a backdrop of the ocean while you play. You’ll also enjoy a driving range, putting green, and a pro shop here.
Fort Shafter Gym
4. Fort Shafter Physical Fitness CenterFort Shafter 170 Chapplear Rd. Honolulu, HI 96819
Phone:1 (808) 438-1152 The Fort Shafter Physical Fitness Center is part of the Fort Shafter MWR and offers equipment, classes, and personalized services. Some of the features of the gym include stair climbers, treadmills, elliptical machines, free weights, strength training equipment, personal training, and therapeutic services.
5. Iron Hawaiian Fitness1727 Republican St. #3112 Honolulu, HI 96819
Phone:1 (808) 291-0262 Located just south of Fort Shafter, Iron Hawaiian Fitness has everything you need to train. They pride themselves on creating an atmosphere to keep you focused while offering equipment for bodybuilders, fitness enthusiasts, and athletes alike.
6. CrossFit 808419 Waiakamilo Rd. Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone:1 (808) 848-1555 CrossFit 808 specializes in strength and conditioning training that develops individuals at any point in their fitness journey. You’ll have a varied combination of weightlifting, gymnastics, and cardio to help you reach all of your fitness goals.
Fort Shafter Movie Theater
7. Regal Dole Cannery IMAX, 4DX, ScreenX & RPX735 B Iwilei Rd. Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone:1 (844) 462-7342 The Regal Dole Cannery in downtown Honolulu offers a large theater complex with multiple screens that feature all the latest releases and has options for IMAX, 4DX, ScreenX, and RPX.
8. Consolidated Theatres WardWard Entertainment Center 1044 Auahi St. Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone:1 (808) 594-7044 A local theater, Consolidated Theatres Ward, showcases new releases and bargain matinees. Select movies are offered in the Titan Luxe auditorium with luxury reclining seating.
Fort Shafter Bowling
9. Fort Shafter Bowling Center186 Chapplear Rd. Fort Shafter, HI 96858
Phone:1 (808) 438-6733 The Fort Shafter Bowling Center offers 22 lanes for all types of bowling events, from cosmic to league bowling. Be sure to try out The Strike Zone, a popular snack bar located inside. You’ll also have access to a pro shop that has bowling supplies and lessons.
10. Aiea Bowl99-115 Aiea Heights Dr. Aiea, HI 96701
Phone:1 808) 488-6854 Aiea Bowl keeps it fresh with nightly themes that include glow bowling and live DJs. Aiea Bowl also offers party packages and features a full restaurant.
Fort Shafter Beaches and Outdoor Rec
11. Waikīkī BeachHonolulu, HI 96815 Waikiki Beach in Honolulu is the must-stop place for a relaxing afternoon. The famous beach is the epitome of Hawaii with white sands, a view of Diamond Head, restaurants, and palm trees.
12. Halona Blowhole and Beach Cove8483 HI-72 Honolulu, HI 96825
Phone:1 (808) 464-0840 A short drive to the other side of the island will take you to the Halona Blowhole, which is one of Hawaii’s natural wonders. Created by molten lava thousands of years ago, you can view the wonder from the highway and then head down to the beach for an afternoon of swimming in the cove.
13. Diamond Head State MonumentHonolulu, HI 96815
Phone:1 (808) 587-0300 On the eastern edge of the Waikiki coastline, Diamond Head sits with its iconic profile for all to see. Take a hiking trip to the summit and explore the creator that formed from a single explosive eruption 300,000 years ago. There is no better view of the surrounding beaches and crystal clear ocean coastline.
14. Hanauma BayHawaii 96825 On the southwest side of Oahu, just ten miles east of Waikiki lies Hanauma Bay, where you can enjoy the marine ecosystem first-hand. More than 400 species of Hawaiian fishes are there to enjoy while you snorkel in the bay. You may even spot a turtle or two.
Fort Shafter Museums
15. Pearl Harbor National Memorial1 Arizona Memorial Pl. Honolulu, HI 96818
Phone:1 (808) 422-3399 This is the famous site commemorating the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. The Pearl Harbor National Memorial features the USS Arizona Memorial plus museums featuring stories and historic items from WWII.
16. Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum319 Lexington Blvd. Honolulu, HI 96818
Phone:1 (808) 441-1000 With a focus on WWII memorabilia, the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum features exhibits showcasing historical aircraft. With countless aircraft from various points in American military history and a virtual flight simulator, this museum is something you won’t want to miss.
17. Bishop Museum1525 Bernice St, Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone:1 (808) 847-3511 Experience the history of Hawaii’s rich culture and heritage at the Bishop Museum. This premier natural and cultural museum showcases exhibits about native Hawaiian and other Pacific Island histories. Plus, you can visit the site’s planetarium.
ConclusionWhether you like to relax for a lazy afternoon on a world-famous beach, or want to soak in the rich history of the island, we are sure that your posting at Fort Shafter will be surrounded by plenty of things to do. You will find your favorite spots, and be sure to talk to the locals for more great things to do around Fort Shafter.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts