13 OF THE BEST MCLB BARSTOW THINGS TO DO
By Andrew Karcher
IntroductionYour new home at MCLB Barstow is surrounded by some of the most beautiful desert topography in California. There are plenty of diverse activities in the area that will lead to many new adventures. Nearby towns like Apple Valley and Victorville are only about a 30-minute drive southwest and offer even more options. You will quickly find that there are plenty of things to do on MCLB Barstow and in nearby Barstow. We have listed some activities below and organized them into categories. If you already know what you want to do near MCLB Barstow click any of the links. (1-3) Gyms (4-6) Movie Theaters (7-8) Bowling Alleys (9-10) Golf Course (11-13) Outdoor Recreation
Suggested Read:Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to ongoing coronavirus concerns many businesses and venues are likely subject to some form of restrictions. It is best to call ahead to confirm what their specific rules are.
MCLB Barstow Things to Do
MCLB Barstow Gym
1. Fitness Center MCLB BarstowMCLB Barstow A St. & 15th St. Building 44 Barstow, CA 92311 Phone: 1 (760) 577-6898 The Fitness Center on base is certainly the most convenient option for your gym needs. Besides the usual gym equipment, they also have a basketball court and health education seminars for those interested.
2. Fitness MD 24/7320 E. Main St. Barstow, CA 92311
Phone:1 (760) 255-3639 Located in downtown Barstow, Fitness MD 24/7 allows 24-hour access for its members. Work up a sweat with various machines, free weights, or enroll in one of six offered classes that are included with your membership. Classes are held throughout the day so that members can easily work them into their schedules.
3. Anytime Fitness1251 E. Main St. Ste. 4-5 Barstow, CA 92311
Phone:1 (760) 256-8141 Anytime Fitness has standard gym equipment but they are also a great option for those that want a personalized gym experience. Their coaches assist in helping their members build a workout and nutrition plan that meets their needs. With their app, members can connect with coaches at all times. If you are curious they are also offering a 7-day trial right now.
Barstow Movie Theater
4. Barstow Station Cinema1251 E. Main St. Ste. 4-5 Barstow, CA 92311
Phone:1 (760) 256-8141 A friendly and attentive staff will welcome you to Barstow Station Cinema, a throwback theater with intimate screening rooms and lobby. It’s hard to beat the $7 price tag for a current blockbuster.
Pro tip:Buy your tickets online to save a dollar.
5. Skyline Drive-in31175 US Highway 58 Barstow, CA 92311
Phone:1 (760) 256-3333 Enjoy current blockbusters under the stars at Skyline Drive-in, perfect for date night or an affordable family outing. Tickets for children ages 5-11 are $4 and ages 4 and under are free! Be sure to bring some cash as the venue is “cash only” and there’s no ATM on site.
6. AMC Classic Apple Valley 1422311 Bear Valley Rd. Bldg. A Apple Valley, CA 92308
Phone:1 (760) 240-9667 If a modern theater-going experience is more your speed, the AMC Classic Apple Valley offers the usual multiplex experience on 14 screens. Enjoy all the big, current movies with your favorite snack in stadium-style seating.
MCLB Barstow Bowling Alley
7. Leatherneck LanesMCLB Barstow 32577 National Trail Hwy. Building 342 Barstow, CA 92311
Phone:1 (760) 577-6264 Located on base, Leatherneck Lanes provides affordable bowling and snacks for marines and their families. On Wednesdays and Sundays you can bowl two games for just $5 total.
8. Oasis Lanes20410 US Highway 18 Apple Valley, CA 92307
Phone:1 (760) 247-6431 A great choice for a birthday party or a night on the lanes with friends and family, Oasis Lanes provides the classic bowling atmosphere. Come for Neon Night every Friday and Saturday evening after 8:00.
MCLB Barstow Golf Course
9. Marine Memorial Golf CourseJoseph L Boll Ave. Building 100 Barstow, CA 92311
Phone:1 (760) 577-6431 The Marine Memorial Golf Course is located just outside the front gate of MCLB Barstow. The 9 or 18 hole course is perfect for beginners and veteran players alike. Or if you prefer, head to the driving range and get a few swings in. Memberships and monthly passes are available but you can also play for the day. They also have golf carts for rent if you want a particularly relaxing day on the links.
10. Apple Valley Golf Course15200 Rancherias Rd. Apple Valley, CA 92307 Phone: 1 (760) 242-3125 Memberships are available, but Apple Valley Golf Course is an 18-hole course that is open to the public as well. If tennis is more your speed there are two courts. When you work up an appetite walking the fairways, the restaurant is open for lunch seven days a week.
MCLB Barstow Outdoor Recreation
11. Oasis PoolMCLB Barstow Joseph L Boll Ave. Building 38 Barstow, CA 92311
Phone:N/A The Oasis Pool on base is a perfect spot to relax on a hot day. They even screen movies some nights!
12. Calico Ghost Town Regional Park36600 Ghost Town Road Yermo, CA 92398
Phone:1 (760) 254-1123 Calico Ghost Town is a San Bernardino County Regional Park that boasts many single-day activities for families. If you want to explore nature, there’s trails for hiking, mountain biking, and even off-road vehicles. The ghost town also offers many family-friendly museums and shops. A tour on a historical train and panning for gold seem like great options for kids. If you want an extended stay, you can reserve a cabin or bunkhouse. Looking to rough it? Check out their tent and RV campsites.
Big Bear Lake
13. Big Bear Mountain Resort880 Summit Blvd. Ste. A Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
Phone:1 (844) 462-2327 If you are willing to make the trek, 60 miles south you’ll find Big Bear Lake. There is something for everyone no matter the season. During the warmer parts of the year there’s ample hiking, fishing, golfing, biking, and water sports. In the winter, the best skiing and snowboarding in the area. The Big Bear Mountain Resort is a great hub for all the action and is a few steps away from Snow Summit, a go-to destination for winter sports. The resort is also only a couple miles away from Big Bear Village, home to walk-able shops, restaurants, and bars.
ConclusionWhether you prefer spending your leisure time exploring nature, relaxing by the pool, or staying current on all the big movies, you will always have plenty of things to do during your base at MCLB Barstow. Be sure to check with friends, neighbors, and locals to see if they have any recommendations or know of any lesser traveled gems in the area.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts