21 OF THE BEST NAVAL STATION NEWPORT THINGS TO DO
IntroductionWelcome to Naval Station Newport! As you get settled into your new home, you’re probably looking for some ideas of things to do in the area. You’re in luck! The installation is just a short drive from major cities like Newport, Providence, and Jamestown in Rhode Island, and is just steps from the Atlantic Ocean. This beautiful area has so much to offer visitors and those lucky enough to call it home. The area is known for great seafood (stuffed quahogs and New England clam chowder, anyone?), its scenic shores, and is a destination for sailing, surfing, and fishing. Here is a list of 21 of the best things to do while living on or near Naval Station Newport. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to what you go: (1-2) Marinas and Waterways (3) Parks (4) Golfing (5-7) Gyms (8) Bowling (9-17) Nearby Attractions (18-20) Museums (21) Winery Tours
Suggested Read:Naval Station Newport: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
21 Of the Best Naval Station Newport Things to Do
Naval Station Newport Marina
1. Coasters Harbor Island Marina1397 Perry Road Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-3283 Coasters Harbor Island Marina offers sailing and powerboating classes to authorized patrons, ages 18 and up. Berthing is available, as well as a boat launching ramp for towed boats. Sailboats, powerboats, kayaks, and paddleboards may be rented. The marina is open from May through October.
2. Bishop’s RockCapodanno Drive/Barschow Street Newport, RI 02871
Phone:1 (401) 841-6628 Enjoy this beautiful area on the water at Coasters Harbor. Spend some time admiring the landscape (and taking pictures to show off on your social media) or pack a picnic lunch and take in the scenery while you eat. Open from Memorial Day weekend through September and reservations are required.
3. Carr Point RV Park1109 Cushing Road Newport, RI 02840
Phone:1 (401) 841-7355 Enjoy a getaway close to home at the Carr Point RV Park. The pet-friendly site has full hook-up sites, a dump station, and vacation rentals for those who don’t want to rough it. The park is open from Memorial Day through October. Reservations are required.
4. Rhode Island Golf CoursesRhode Island and the Newport area specifically have plenty of courses available for the avid (or even beginner) golfer, from a quick nine holes to a full 18. The area just outside Naval Station Newport offers diverse options with unique holes and water challenges. Visit the Navy MWR listing for all Navy courses nearby.
Naval Station Newport Gym
5. John H. Chafee Fitness Center1109 Taylor Dr. Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-2512 The Fitness Center provides services, programs and state-of-the-art equipment to enhance and encourage your continuing commitment to health and physical fitness. Whether you want to stay in regulation fitness standards or just getting healthy, this is the place for you. Call for more information and for hours.
6. John H. Chafee Pool1109 Taylor Dr. Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-6628 The John H. Chafee Pool is the perfect place to swim laps and train in the water. The Olympic-sized pool is open for active duty personnel with some exceptions. Call for more information and hours.
7. Har-Tru Tennis CourtsPerry Road (near Gate One) Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-2512 The four Har-Tru tennis courts, located near Gate One, are available on a first-come, first-served basis unless otherwise reserved from Memorial Day through Labor Day, weather permitting.
Naval Station Newport Bowling Alley
8. Seaview Lanes Bowling Center656 Whipple St. Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-4293 If you are looking for the best bowling competitions, or just have a nice time with your family or friends in Rhode Island, this bowling center is a good choice that will not fail you. Host your next event at Seaview Lanes and don’t forget to grab a bite to eat while you’re there.
9. Fort Adams State Park80 Fort Adams Drive Newport, RI 02840
Phone:1 (401) 847-2400 What is now Fort Adams State Park once served as a U.S. Army and naval base for over a century before becoming part of Rhode Island state. Now, the park is a great location for activities such as fishing, sailing or a tranquil picnic. It is located at the mouth of Newport Harbor and offers an incredible view of Narragansett Bay.
10. Roger Williams Park Zoo1000 Elmwood Ave. Providence, RI 02907
Phone:1 (401) 785-3510 The Roger Williams Park Zoo is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Rhode Island. The zoo, which can easily keep you entertained for a full day, has more than 100 species from around the globe. The Roger Williams Park is also home to a museum of natural history and the largest indoor botanical garden in New England.
11. Providence Performing Arts Center220 Weybosset St. Providence, RI 02903
Phone:1 (401) 421-2787 A multi-use theater that opened in 1928, the Providence Performing Arts Center is a popular venue for tourists and locals to enjoy musicals, theater, and concerts as well as free, local events. The venue’s popularity has grown in recent years and it has been chosen to host the opening of a number of national tours.
12. Crescent Park Looff Carousel700 Bullocks Point Drive Riverside, RI 02915
Phone:1 (401) 435-7518 Built-in 1895 by Charles Looff, the grandfather of carousel design, the Crescent Park Looff Carousel was originally built to showcase Looff’s skills to prospective buyers and is his most elaborate work. The ride is open on a limited basis through the summer months. See the website for more information.
13. McCoy Stadium1 Columbus Ave. Pawtucket, RI 02860
Phone:1 (401) 724-7300 Don’t forget to take a trip to the McCoy Stadium to watch some minor league baseball. Home to the Pawtucket Red Sox, the stadium offers a great introduction to baseball and a night of family entertainment.
Naval Station Newport
14. Liberty Center656 Whipple St. Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-1053 The Liberty Center has programs that offer low cost or free recreational opportunities to single enlisted sailors E-1 to E-6. The program offers computer and TV areas with internet and video gaming, comfortable seating, ping pong tables, and billiards.
15. American Forces TravelThe American Forces Travel is the MWR Newport program offering eligible patrons access to leisure travel online powered by Priceline and other travel industry leaders. This online vacation travel site offers exclusive travel deals and benefits just for the military and government community. American Forces Travel provides access to a wide selection of member-exclusive rates on hotel rooms, flights, cruises, rental cars, vacation packages, event tickets, and more.
16. Fleet and Family Support Center1260 Peary St. Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-2283 Fleet and Family Support Center is your one-stop-shop for free parenting and life skill programs, financial programs, deployment support, transition and employment assistance, relocation assistance, counseling and victim assistance, exceptional family member support, information and referral, and more programs to promote quality of life for military personnel and their families. Visit the Fleet and Family Support Center for further information on base and community services.
17. Newport Officers’ Club95 Perry Road Newport, RI 02841
Phone:1 (401) 841-1442 The Officer's Club is open for weddings and social events for commissioned officers. Visit the website for wedding and catering information.
Newport Naval Museum
18. Naval War College MuseumBldg. 10, Luce Avenue Newport, RI 02841 1 (617) 514-1600 The Naval War College Museum opened in 1884 and offers visitors the chance to learn about Newport’s naval and military past. The collection of exhibits is housed in the Founders’ Building on the war college campus on Naval Station Newport and admission is free.
19. Rhode Island School of Design Museum20 N. Main St. Providence, RI 02903
Phone:1 (401) 454-6500 Providence is home to an impressive art scene and one of the most reputable art schools in the country. The Rhode Island School of Design Museum is home to a large collection of paintings, sculptures, photography, and various other media from around the world produced by artists past and present.
20. Beavertail Lighthouse MuseumBeavertail Road Jamestown, RI 02835
Phone:1 (401) 423-3270 Located on the tip of Jamestown, the Beavertail Lighthouse is home to a museum packed with information, history and facts about one of the country’s oldest lighthouses. The actual building containing the museum was built in 1898 to house a lighthouse assistant. The surrounding Beavertail State Park is well worth exploring.
21. WineriesRhode Island’s coastal location and spring-fall climate make for the perfect wine-making location. The award-winning vineyards in the state are situated on beautiful (and sometimes historic) properties, sport gorgeous views, and produce delicious varietals: reds, roses, whites, and even ice wines. Most are open for tours and tastings, some serve local seafood or invite guests to pack a picnic to enjoy with their wine. Find a winery closest to Naval Station Newport.
ConclusionRhode Island might be the smallest state but with a spectacular view and location on the ocean, there are always things to do. It’s perfect for outdoor enthusiasts, history buffs, fishermen or foodies. Whatever your mood or hobby, there’s something for you to enjoy near your new home at Naval Station Newport.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts