19 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO ON NORFOLK NAVAL BASE
IntroductionOnce you arrive at Naval Station Norfolk, find some fun to help shake off that PCS stress and get to know your new community. Navy Community Recreation offers leisure skills classes, outdoor recreation and rentals, auto skills, sailing parks and picnic areas and green spaces, information and resources, tickets and travel, command and fleet support and special events. There are also abundant recreational activities in Norfolk and the surrounding Hampton Roads area — music, sports, theater, museums, parks and shopping. Take a ride back in time on the Hampton Carousel, or use some pedal power to bike along the historic Colonial Parkway. Treat the kids to interactive education at the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center, or marvel at treasures of marine history during the Norfolk Harborfest. Read on to get some ideas or if you already know what you want to do, click the numbers below to jump to specific activities: (1) Trip Advisor's Top Attractions in Norfolk (2) Bowling (3) Golfing (4-5) Gyms (6) Marinas (7) Movies (8) MWR Liberty Program (9) Parks, Rivers, and Lakes (10-12) Special Events (13-18) Attractions (19) Museums
Suggested Read: Naval Station Norfolk: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to health restrictions, though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Check websites and call ahead to learn each listing’s current status.
Things to Do on Norfolk Naval Base
Trip Advisor's Top Attractions in Norfolk
1. Nauticus & The Battleship Wisconsin1 Waterside Drive Norfolk, VA 23510
Phone: 1 (757) 664-1000 Berthed at Nauticus, the Battleship Wisconsin is one of the largest and last battleships ever built by the U.S. Navy. Explore its deck through a self-guided tour or join a guided tour that will take you back in time to experience the ship that earned five battle stars during World War II. Today, it also tops Trip Advisor's Top Attractions in Norfolk. Search for “norfolk naval base museum” and Google will point you to the Hampton Roads Naval Museum, owned and operated by the U.S. Navy. On Level Two of Nauticus, the museum houses a collection of authentic uniforms, weaponry, underwater artifacts, detailed ship models, and artwork. For more information, visit their website.
Bowling Alley on Norfolk Naval Base
2. Pierside LanesB Ave. Bldg. CEP-127 Norfolk, VA 23511
Phone: 1 (757) 445-0646 Undergoing renovations in October 2020, when the bowling alley on Norfolk naval base reopens it will offer daily bowling as well as league action. Amenities include a pro shop, internet access, and a snack bar.
Norfolk Naval Base Golf Course
3. Sewells Point Golf Course660 Ruthven Road Bldg. CA-99 Norfolk, VA 23511
Phone: 1 (757) 444-5572 Established in 1927, Sewells Point Golf Course is an 18-hole PAR 71 championship golf course designed by Donald Ross. Enjoy the Pro Shop as well as golf lessons available with a PGA professional at this Norfolk naval base golf course.
Norfolk Naval Base Gym
4. N-24 Gymnasium1570 Gilbert St. Bldg. N-24 Norfolk, VA 23511
Phone: 1 (757) 444-2276 Norfolk Naval base gym, N-24, features cardiovascular equipment, strength training machines, free weight equipment, two basketball courts, volleyball, group exercise room, lockers showers, and a sauna.
5. Q-80 Waterfront Athletic Complex1910 Decatur Ave. Bldg. Q-80 Norfolk, VA 23511
Phone: 1 (757) 444-1232 Norfolk Naval base gym, Q-80 Waterfront Athletic Complex, features an indoor track, cardiovascular equipment, strength-training machines, free-weight equipment, a basketball court, two racquetball courts, showers, lockers, and a swimming pool.
Norfolk Naval Base Marina
6. The Sailing Center and MarinaLAG-88 9672 Massey Hughes Drive Norfolk, VA 23511
Phone: 1 (757) 444-2918 At The Sailing Center, you can learn to sail, kayak, rent boats, and fishing gear. The center also offers boating classes for adults and summer camps for children. The wide array of rental boats includes kayaks and paddleboards, power boats for fishing and water skiing, and a fleet of sailboats from dinghies to cruising keelboats. The Marina offers deep-water slips, conference rooms with a view, a nearby fishing pier, boat ramp, ice, bait and fishing supplies, WiFi, and dinghy storage.
Movie Theater Naval Station Norfolk
7. Main Gate Movie Theater1500 Mall Drive Norfolk, VA 23511
Phone: 1 (757) 440-1500 The movie theater at Naval Station Norfolk, Main Gate Movie Theater, is temporarily closed through December 2020. Check the website for updated reopening info.
MWR Liberty Program
8. Wind & Sea Rec Center
Address 1: Bldg. C-9
Phone 1: 1 (757) 444-4033
Address 2: Bldg. Q-80
Phone 2: 1 (757) 444-1216 The Liberty Program is geared toward offering low cost or free recreational opportunities to single junior enlisted sailors E-1 to E-6. From special events to tournaments to destination trips – this program brings the fun. Additionally, both locations offer movie viewings and computers with WiFi.
Parks, Rivers, and Lakes
9. Norfolk Botanical Garden
Phone: 1 (757) 441-5830
Norfolk Naval Base Special Events
10. Norfolk St. Patrick’s Day ParadeNorfolk, VA It began in 1967 with a few Irish-Americans marching with trash-can lids and brooms around the tiny Ocean View headquarters of the Father Kealey Council 3548 of the Knights of Columbus. When they stopped for liquid refreshments, the leaders decided it was so much fun they wanted to launch a real parade the following spring. That little gathering has evolved into a parade up Granby Street through Ocean View that annually features nearly 200 bands, marching units, clowns, and floats and is one of the largest St. Patty’s celebrations on the East Coast. Visit http://norfolkvaparade.com for up-to-date info.
11. Norfolk HarborfestNorfolk, VA Every June, the city of Norfolk hosts one of the East Coast’s favorite festivals, the Norfolk Harborfest. This free festival is the largest, longest-running, free maritime festival in the nation. Enjoy three days of tall ships, the Parade of Sail, festival foods and beverages, live performances, fireworks displays on the coast and plenty of fun for the whole family.
12. Norfolk Waterfront Jazz FestivalNorfolk, VA Hampton Roads’ longest-running outdoor Jazz Festival returns every August for two nights along the Downtown Norfolk Waterfront. On a warm summer evening, chill to the legendary sounds of top national smooth jazz and R & B recording artists. This popular festival features a variety of seating and ticket options, food and beverage vendors, plus a festival marketplace with crafts, retail items and more.
13. Langley Speedway
Phone: 1 (757) 865-7223
14. Virginia Air & Space Center
Phone: 1 (757) 727-0900
15. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Phone: 1 (757) 229-4386
16. Colonial Williamsburg
Phone: 1 (888) 965-7254
17. Water Country USA
Phone: 1 (757) 229-4386
18. Colonial Parkway
Phone: 1 (757) 898-3400
Pro Tip: Obey all traffic laws along the route which apply to cyclists as well as the vehicle traffic.
Norfolk Naval Base Museums
19. Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center717 General Booth Blvd. Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Phone: 1 (757) 385-3474 Take an underwater journey, learning about habitats and animals from local rivers to the floor of the Atlantic Ocean at this museum complex that uses 800,000 gallons of water in its fresh and saltwater displays. Two major exhibits — the Bay and Ocean Pavilion and the Marsh Pavilion — are connected by an outdoor nature trail running alongside Owls Creek Salt Marsh, along with overhead zip lines and challenge climbing bridges. From cownose rays to loggerhead turtles to sand tiger sharks, an amazing variety of sea creatures will delight the mind and eyes.
ConclusionThese are just a few of the many recreational opportunities in Norfolk and Hampton Roads. Whatever your hobbies and interests are, there is much to do, see and experience in the local and surrounding areas while stationed at Naval Station Norfolk.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts