18 THINGS TO DO IN FLORIDA KEYS NEAR NAS KEY WEST
By Chris La Porte
IntroductionYour new posting at Naval Air Station Key West puts you at the end of U.S. Route 1, the Overseas Highway. You’ll be about two and a half hours from mainland Florida, but there are plenty of things to do in Florida Keys near NAS Key West here in the southernmost point of the continental U.S. You’ll have a lot of exciting things to explore around the base as you settle into your new home. We have organized activities into categories below; click any of them to jump to the section if you already know what you want to do around NAS Key West. (1-3) NAS Key West Golf (4-6) NAS Key West Gyms (7-8) NAS Key West Theaters (9) NAS Key West Bowling Alley (10-16) NAS Key West Beaches and Outdoor Rec (17-18) NAS Key West Museums
Suggested read:NAS Key West: In-Depth Welcome Center
NAS Key West ITTThe NAS Key West ITT office is the go-to location for discounts on all types of recreational activities. If you’re searching for the best things to do in Florida Keys, stop here or give them a call first!
NAS Key West ITT Office AddressBldg. V-4113 Arthur Sawyer Drive Sigsbee Park Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 293-4173
NAS Key West Golf
1. Key West Golf Club6450 College Rd. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 294-5232 Key West Golf Club is a championship 18-hole course designed by the masterful Rees Jones. Located in the heart of Key West, it is immediately next to the base and is the only Golf Club in the United States located in the Caribbean.
2. Key Colony Beach Golf8th St. Key Colony Beach, FL 33051
Phone: 1 (305) 289-9859 If you’re committed to working on your short game, Key Colony Beach Golf is about an hour back up U.S. Route 1. This 9-hole course is a par 3 course with daily fees or an annual pass for the avid golfer.
3. Boondocks Miniature Golf27205 Overseas Hwy Ramrod Key, FL 33042
Phone: 1 (305) 872-4094 For something a little different and fun for the whole family, you can play a round of mini-golf at the Boondocks Miniature Golf Course. There are waterfalls and beautifully landscaped putt-putt courses that make it a great family outing.
NAS Key West Gyms
4. Boca Chica Fitness CenterBldg. A-4165 Randolph Avenue Boca Chica Field Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 293-2480 Boca Chica Fitness Center is part of the NAS Key West MWR and is located on Boca Chica Field. This full-service fitness facility has a variety of weight equipment, cable machines, Olympic bench presses, cardio equipment, a full basketball court, and more.
5. Bodyzone Fitness2740 N Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 292-2930 Bodyzone Fitness creates an environment of like-minded people and a community that will help you hit your fitness goals. They are the biggest open gym in Key West that offers free weights, strength equipment, cardio equipment, and fitness equipment.
6. Key West Fitness Center725 Caroline St. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 916-5500 Key West Fitness Center gives you full access to the fitness equipment you need to hit all of your goals. They focus on personal training and classes that range from spin, Zumba, pilates, kettlebells, and more.
NAS Key West Theaters
7. Regal Key West3338 N Roosevelt Blvd. Naval Air Station Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (844) 462-7342 Regal Key West offers a theater complex with multiple screens featuring new-release films. You’ll enjoy the luxurious plush seating, and don’t forget to grab your favorites from their full-service concession stand.
8. Tennessee Williams Theatre5901 College Rd. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 296-1520 To go to the show and get a little something different from the movies, you can go to the Tennessee Williams Theatre located in the College of the Florida Keys. This performing arts center shows a wide variety of symphonies, plays, and musicals.
NAS Key West Bowling Alley
9. Air Lanes Bowling Center337 Langley Ave. Naval Air Station Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 293-2976 Air Lanes Bowling Center is part of the NAS Key West MWR and is the only bowling facility in Key West. Two lanes are open to regular patrons and civilian leagues run Monday through Friday in the evening.
NAS Key West Beaches and Outdoor Rec
10. Smathers Beach Key West2601 S Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 809-3700 Smathers Beach is Key West’s largest beach and runs on the southern shore of the island for almost 2 miles. There are plenty of beach activities, including volleyball, watersports, and beach sports rentals. Although there aren’t waves to speak of, snorkelers can take advantage of the swim zone just offshore.
11. Straw Hat BeachKey West, FL 33040 One of the most secluded beaches in Key West, Straw Hat Beach is perfect for escaping the big crowds and enjoying a day in the sun to yourself.
12. Rest BeachWhite St & Atlantic Blvd. Key West, FL 33040 Rest Beach, also known as C.B. Harvey Rest Beach (or just Harvey Beach by the locals), is named after Cornelius Bradford Harvey, a former mayor of Key West. This 300-yard beach is adjacent to Higgs Beach, and it features a covered picnic area and a perfect place to get away from some of the more well-known beaches. Harvey Beach is a must-visit!
13. Sigsbee CampgroundArthur Sawyer Dr. Naval Air Station Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1(305) 293-4432 Sigsbee Campground (and the nearby Sigsbee Marina) is open to military service members, and it is open all year long. There are spaces for RV and tent camping with full amenities and facilities that include laundry, showers, a playground, picnic areas, access to the beach, fishing, boat rentals, golf, and more. Be sure to book three months in advance.
14. Boca Chica Marina1132 Midway Ave. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 293-2402 Located on NAS Key West, Boca Chica Marina provides long-term and short-term boat slips. You can enjoy time at the Navigator’s Bar and Fly Away Cafe. Amenities here also include a beautiful swimming beach complete with a picnic area and grills.
15. The Key West Nature Preserve1799-1691 Atlantic Blvd. Key West, FL 33040 The unassuming Key West Nature Preserve may be small between condos and apartment developments, but it’s a true slice of wilderness that provides a great spot for a walk with the family or an escape from the hustle and bustle of the urban parts of the island. This quarter-mile trail will lead you right to the beach.
16. Sunset Watersports201 William Street Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 296-2554 Sunset Watersports hosts a ton of outdoor recreational activities. You can embark on a jet ski tour, go parasailing, go snorkeling, swim with dolphins, enjoy a sunset cruise, and more. It’s perfect for the outdoor adventurer.
NAS Key West Museums
17. Key West Lighthouse938 Whitehead St. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 294-0012 Now a museum, the Key West Lighthouse is a historic lighthouse that was originally opened in 1848. Operated by the Key West Art and Historical Society, you can walk the 88 steps to the top of the light and explore the museum dedicated to Key West’s maritime heritage.
18. Fort East Martello Museum3501 S Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 1 (305) 296-3913 Fort East Martello was initially built in 1862 to protect Key West from a possible Confederate sea assault. Visitors can now explore the preserved battlements and relics from the Civil War while learning about the wrecking and cigar-manufacturing industries that shaped the Florida Keys.
ConclusionWhether you like to relax in the shade on one of the many Florida Keys beaches or explore history for a while, we are sure that your posting at Naval Air Station Key West will be surrounded by plenty of things to do. When you’re done adventuring, you can explore one of the many amazing restaurants in the area, too! You will find your favorite spots in no time, and be sure to talk to the locals for more great things to do in Florida Keys near NAS Key West.
nas key west
things to do
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts