19 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN NORTH FLORIDA NEAR NAS WHITING FIELD
By Sarah Jaudon
IntroductionNaval Air Station Whiting Field is located near the beautiful and historic city of Milton, Florida! Moving to a new duty station is an exciting time, and part of that time is exploration and discovery – exploring the local hot spots and discovering your favorite new hangouts. That’s why we put together a list of some of the best things to do in North Florida near NAS Whiting Field! Suggested read: NAS Whiting Field: In-Depth Welcome Center
19 Things To Do in North Florida Near Base
NAS Whiting Field Outdoor Recreation
1. Whiting Field MWR7550 USS Essex Street Bldg 1401 Milton, FL 32570 Phone: 1 (850) 623-7502 MWR stands for Morale, Welfare, and Recreation. The Whiting Field MWR is a service provided to active-duty military members and their families to help them make the most out of their leisure time. Whiting Field MWR is the central location for all outdoor recreation and other things to do in North Florida. Check the website for more details.
2. Whiting Field ITT7705 Saratoga Street Bldg 1475 Milton, FL 32570 Phone: 1 (850) 623-7032 Whiting Field ITT should always be your first stop when purchasing military discounted tickets for fun activities and other things to do in North Florida. At Whiting Field ITT, you can plan your next vacation or acquire the best rates for Disney World. Stop by or call the number above for more information.
3. Old River Trail5480 Old River Road Milton, FL 32583 Phone: 1 (800) 913-1518 Old River Trail is a hiking trail that is nestled near the Blackwater River and connects to Whiting Park, which is a private recreational park located on base. Old River Trail is an easy walking hike that is very popular with the locals.
4. Sunburst RV Resort2375 Horn Rd. Milton, FL 32570 Phone: 1 (850) 889-3391 Sunburst RV Resort is a beautiful campground located less than 13 miles from base. Sunburst RV Resort is loaded with amenities including a pool, gazebos, cabins, a dog park, and a game room. Check the website to book a reservation today.
5. Whiting Field Clear Creek RV Park110 Magda Village Milton, FL 32570 Phone: 1 (850) 623-7032 Whiting Field Clear Creek RV Park is a campsite with RV hookups for electricity, sewage, and water. Book your reservation with the Whiting Field MWR or call the number above. This campsite is located outside the West Gate.
6. Blue Basket Farms9529 8655, FL-89 Milton, FL 32570 Phone: 1 (850) 623-0652 Blue Basket Farms is a rural, family-owned farm that gives you the chance to pick seasonal fruit. Families enjoy the experience of being outside in the beautiful landscape around Blue Basket Farms. They honor military members and Veterans by offering discounts on certain days. Call the number above for hours of operation.
7. Archery RangeUSS Intrepid Rd. Milton, FL 32570 Phone: 1 (850) 623-7412 Located on NAS Whiting Field next to the Catch and Release Ponds sits the Archery Range, where you can practice your bowhunting skills. This range offers a variety of targets for your specific bow type. Crossbows are not permitted.
8. Disc GolfMagda Village Drive Milton, FL 32570 Disc Golf is a fun and free activity on NAS Whiting Field. You will find the course just north of the West Gate entrance. The course is open from sunrise to sunset. Check the MWR website for a detailed course map.
NAS Whiting Field Golf Courses
9. NAS Whiting Field Golf Course Milton, FLGolf Course Road Milton, FL 32570
Phone: 1 (850) 623-7032 Although the NAS Whiting Field Golf Course in Milton, FL, is permanently closed, the base does still offer a driving range for those who want to practice their swing. The driving range has golf balls on-site. For rental clubs, stop by the Community Recreation building or call the number above.
10. Tanglewood Golf Club5916 Tanglewood Dr. Milton, FL 32570
Phone: 1 (850) 623-6176 Tanglewood Golf Club is a very popular public golf course located in Milton, FL. The rates and memberships are known for being reasonably priced. Book tee times online at Tanglewood Golf Club, and don’t forget to stop by their pro shop for all of your golf amenities.
NAS Whiting Field Gym
11. NAS Whiting Field GymSaratoga Street Bldg 3148 Milton, FL 32570
Phone: 1 (850) 623-7412 NAS Whiting Field Gym is open to all DoD personnel and family members. Guests of members are allowed to use the facility for a nominal fee. The NAS Whiting Field Gym is open Monday through Friday from 0430-2100 and on weekends from 0800-1600.
12. NAS Whiting Field Family Fitness RoomSaratoga Street Building 1452 Milton, FL 32570
Phone: 1 (850) 623-7412 The Family Fitness Room gives parents the ability to work out on professional gym equipment while their children play. This is not a daycare but a way for you and your child to be together during your workout. Check out the Family Fitness Room for more details.
Museums Near NAS Whiting Field
13. West Florida Railroad Museum5003 Henry St. Milton, FL 32570
Phone: 1 (850) 623-3645 The West Florida Railroad Museum focuses on education and preservation of the railway history in Milton. Here at the West Florida Railroad Museum, you will walk through a restored passenger depot that was built in the early 1900s. Check the website for more details.
14. Arcadia Mill5709 Mill Pond Lane Milton, Florida 32583.
Phone: 1 (850) 626-3084 If you’re looking for interesting educational things to do in North Florida, check out this location. The Arcadia Mill is an archeological site located among the pine trees in Milton. See what life was like in Florida in the 1800s. Take a tour or pop into the visitor’s center for more historical information.
15. National Naval Aviation Museum1750 Radford Blvd. Pensacola, FL 32508
Phone: 1 (850) 452-8450 Located on NAS Pensacola, the National Naval Aviation Museum is open seven days a week from 0700-1600. The museum invites you to immerse yourself in naval aviation with tours, exhibits, and their unique flight academy. Follow the website for exclusive DoD tickets.
16. Fast Eddies Fun Center505 W Michigan Ave. Pensacola, FL 32505
Phone: 1 (850) 433-7735 Fast Eddies Fun Center is a three-acre theme park filled with miniature golf, go-karts, batting cages, and an arcade. Everyone will have a blast at Fast Eddies! Check their website for park hours, pricing, and promotions.
17. Pensacola Beach1 Via De Luna Dr. Pensacola Beach, FL 32561
Phone: 1 (800) 635-4803 Pensacola Beach is known for its white-sand beach and its warm water. This beach offers boat and fishing rentals and delicious eats, all within walking distance. Park at the beach and explore the boardwalk. This is a great spot for capturing that perfect beach sunset.
Gulf Breeze, FL
18. Gulf Breeze Zoo5701 Gulf Breeze Parkway Gulf Breeze, FL 32561
Phone: 1 (850) 932-2229 The Gulf Breeze Zoo is open daily from 0900-1600 and sits on over 50 acres filled with animals from all over the world. Buy your tickets online, and be sure to check out their information on how you can have an animal encounter of your very own.
19. Waterboyz380 N. 9th Avenue Pensacola, FL 32502
Phone: 1 (850) 433-2929 Waterboyz is a well-known surf shop offering private surfing and skateboarding lessons for people of all ages. Purchase your own Waterboyz surfboard, swimwear, and skate gear. Professional and novice surfers come from all over to get their hands on these custom products.
ConclusionBeing stationed at NAS Whiting Field offers an array of adventures, from the stunning beaches in Pensacola to the rural pine forests near Milton. Florida is great for single service members and families alike. The warm weather and friendly locals will have you feeling like you belong in no time. If you’re looking to explore even more things to do in North Florida, check out Visit Florida for more information.
things to do
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts