23 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN FORT WAINWRIGHT, ALASKA
By Sean Bess
IntroductionWelcome to Fort Wainwright located in Fairbanks, Alaska. Alaska, known as “The Last Frontier,” offers locals and visitors a wide selection of beautiful, undeveloped landscapes to explore, as well as plenty of exciting indoor activities. Getting out and enjoying the area with family, friends, neighbors, and others is always a great way to begin adjusting to a new home in a new city. Explore these Fort Wainwright things to do on the post and in nearby areas of Alaska. Don’t be afraid to ask friends and neighbors for their recommendations too! Below each of the activities in the area have been organized into categories. You can click any of the categories to jump to the section if you already know what you want to do around Fort Wainwright. (1-2) Golfing (3-6) Gyms (7-8) Movie Theaters (9-10) Bowling Alleys (11-15) Outdoor Recreation (16-19) Nearby Attractions (20-21) Museums
Suggested Read:Fort Wainwright Alaska: In-Depth Welcome Center
23 Things to Do in Fort Wainwright, AlaskaBe sure to take full advantage of the Fort Wainwright MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) program that offers a network of support and leisure activities and services. There’s everything from youth programs, to sports, outdoor entertainment, and travel with the Fort Wainwright MWR.
Fort Wainwright Golf Course
1. Chena Bend Golf Course2090 Montgomery Rd. Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone: 1 (907) 353-6223 Chena Bend Golf Course is a 6,476-yard, 18-hole course that offers golfers a driving range, putting green, pro shop, and The Turn Bar and Grill where visitors can grab some food and a drink.
2. Fairbanks Golf Course1735 Farmers Loop Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99709
Phone: 1 (907) 479-6555 Fairbanks Golf Course is a 3,132 yard, 9-hole golf course. The course also offers lessons with a PGA professional.
Fort Wainwright Gym
3. PFC GymBuilding 3709 Southgate and Meridian Road Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone: 1 (907) 353-7223 PFC Gym is a great on-post option for those who want to get a workout in. The gym includes a free weights room, cardio machines, exercise classes, group cycling bikes, nautilus circuit training room, medicine balls and exercise mats, lockers, and sauna.
4. The Wolf's LairBuilding 3439 Ile De France Ave Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone: 1 (907) 353-2242 The Wolf’s Lair is Fort Wainwright’s 24-hour fitness center. This gym includes weight room equipment, cardio machines, a turf area for functional fitness, and more.
5. Melaven GymBuilding 3452 Santiago Ave. Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone: 1 (907) 353-1994 Melaven Gym offers those at Fort Wainwright with fitness classes, personal training, an aquatics center, and a variety of workout equipment.
6. Planet Fitness1255 Airport Way Fairbanks, AK 99701 Phone: 1 (907) 374-4441 Planet Fitness strives to create an environment where anyone is welcome, regardless of one’s fitness level. Like most gyms, Planet Fitness offers an array of cardio machines, free weights, and various weight machines. Additionally, Planet Fitness allows “Black Card” members to bring a guest anytime, use of tanning machines, use of massage chairs, 50% off drink purchases, and 20% off purchases at reebok.com.
Fort Wainwright Movie TheaterFort Wainwright does not have a movie theater on post. The closest MWR movie theater is on Eielson AFB.
7. Ernie Walker TheaterBuilding 3309 Eielson AFB, AK 99702
Phone: 1 (907) 377-2642 Ernie Walker Theater is the perfect option for those who want to stay on post and watch a movie on the big screen.
8. Regal Goldstream & IMAX1855 Airport Way Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (844) 462-7342 Regal Goldstream & IMAX features new releases and the option to watch in IMAX, as well as comfortable stadium seating and a fully stocked concession stand.
Bowling Alley Fort Wainwright
9. Nugget LanesBuilding 3702 Santiago Ave. Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone: 1 (907) 353-2654 Nugget Lanes is located on Fort Wainwright and offers bowling leagues, cosmic bowling, the Mother Lode Cafe for those craving a bite to eat and a soda, and the Gold Rush Lounge for those in the mood for an adult beverage while they knock down a few pins.
10. Arctic Bowl952 10th Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 456-7719 Arctic Bowl has a bar and snack bar for those visiting the lanes, as well as bowling leagues and tournaments.
Fort Wainwright Outdoor Rec
11. Outdoor RecBldg 4050 Glass Dr. Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone: 1 (907) 361-6349 Fort Wainwright Outdoor Recreation Center will provide you with all the information you need on local hiking and fishing, as well as provide you with everything you need for your next party.
12. Last Frontier Community Activity CenterApple Street Building #1044 Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
Phone: 1 (907) 353-7755 The Last Frontier Community Activity Center has something for every soldier and their family from laser tag to party and meeting spaces to rent planning a special event has never been easier.
13. Pioneer Park2300 Airport Way Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 459-1087 Pioneer Park is a 44 acre theme park located in the heart of Fairbanks.
14. Griffin ParkDunkel St. Fairbanks, AK 99701 Phone: 1 (907) 459-1070 Griffin Park is a 9.6 acre park located along the coast of the beautiful Chena River. This park has trails and a soccer field for visitors to enjoy.
15. Snedden Memorial Park368 Slater Dr. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 459-1070 Snedden Memorial Park offers visitors a bbq grill, a picnic area, and a playground, which makes it a perfect outing for families.
16. Growden Park207 Wilbur St. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 459-1070 Growden Park has a playground, a skate park, volleyball courts, and baseball and softball fields, all of which are free to the public.
17. Seward Military Resort's Tickets & Tours Program
Phone: 1 (907) 224-2659 Let Fort Wainwright Information, Tickets & Travel office take your vacations to the next level while saving you money. Here you can find discounted tickets to attractions such as Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Florida, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, LEGOLAND Florida and many more.
18. Fly Trampoline Park747 Old Richardson Hwy. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 457-5867 Fly Trampoline Park is a 24,000 square foot trampoline complex covered with interconnected padded trampolines.
19. Top of the World Arcade721 Gaffney Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 456-2763 Top of the World Arcade offers visitors video games, pinball machines, pool tables, air hockey, and a snack bar.
20. Arctic Sun VR1800 Airport Way Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 456-2787 Arctic Sun VR is a virtual reality and PC gaming arcade that offers guests VR racing simulators and high-end PC gaming stations.
21. Laser Tag of Alaska2910 Glacier State Dr. North Pole, AK 99705
Phone: 1 (907) 490-2672 Laser Tag of Alaska is committed to giving its visitors a fun laser tag experience in a safe and family-friendly setting.
Fort Wainwright Museums
22. Fairbanks Community Museum535 2nd Ave. #215 Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 457-3669 Fairbanks Community Museum exists to commemorate everything from the gold rush era to the great floods of the 1960s.
23. Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum212 Wedgewood Dr. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1 (907) 450-2100 The Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum houses more than 95 pre-World War II vehicles, as well as horseless carriages, steamers, electric cars, speedsters, cyclecars, 30s classics, and more.
ConclusionWe are sure that your new posting at Fort Wainwright will give you plenty of exciting things to do around town. Maybe you’re looking to get outdoors and enjoy “The Last Frontier,” or maybe you’re excited to spend the afternoon in one of the local bowling alleys or arcades. Whatever the case, at Fort Wainwright there’s plenty of fun to be had with friends and family.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts