THINGS TO DO IN PARRIS ISLAND & MORE NEAR MCRD PARRIS ISLAND
By Andrew Karcher
Welcome to Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) Parris Island, located near South Carolina’s eastern border. During your free time, you’ll surely want some fun and exciting things to do in Parris Island. This guide will assist you in your hunt for local recreational hot spots. Below is a sampling of activities; it’s by no means a complete list, but it will provide you with a good starting point. Due to ongoing coronavirus concerns, many businesses and venues may be subject to some form of restrictions. It is best to call ahead to confirm what their specific rules and hours are.
Things To Do in Parris Island, SC
MCRD Parris Island Gym
1. Fitness CenterBuilding 111 Olongapo St. MCRD Parris Island, SC 29905
Phone: 1 (843) 228-1579 The MCRD Parris Island Fitness Center is the best way for you to stay in shape on base. They feature all the amenities of a modern gym, like free weights, machines, and classes. Seven group exercise classes are available, such as HITT, Ab Blast, and indoor cycling. If you prefer to exercise solo, free personal training is available to active-duty personnel.
MCRD Parris Island Pool
2. MCRD Parris Island PoolBuilding 165 Santo Domingo St. MCRD Parris Island, SC 29905
Phone: 1 (843) 228-1506 Cool off during hot summer days in the Parris Island pool. It’s a great way to spend a relaxing afternoon with the kids. Swim lessons are also available for children. For the adults, they offer AMP-IT classes, which is essentially an aquatic HITT program for those wanting a great workout without weights.
MCRD Parris Island Movie Theaters
3. MCRD Parris Island Movie TheaterBuilding 195 Blvd. de France MCRD Parris Island, SC 29905
Phone: 1 (843) 476-8397 When looking for things to do in Parris Island, it doesn't get much more classic than movies! The on-base movie theater is a great way to catch the latest big movies for a fraction of the cost of a typical multiplex. Tickets cost $6 for those 12 and over, $4 for kids ages 6-11, and all kids 5 and under are free. Usually, movies screen Friday through Sunday.
4. Cinemark Bluffton106 Buckwalter Pkwy. Bluffton, SC 29910
Phone: 1 (843) 757-2859 If you prefer the more traditional multiplex experience with the added convenience of more movies and available times, the Cinemark Bluffton is only about a 30-minute drive from base. Kick back in a reclining chair with a bucket of popcorn and see any of the latest blockbuster movies.
MCRD Parris Island Bowling Alley
5. MCRD Parris Island Bowling CenterBuilding 203 Samoa St. MCRD Parris Island, SC 29905
Phone: 1 (843) 228-1551
6. MCAS Beaufort Bowling CenterBuilding 790 Gordon St. MCAS Beaufort, SC 29904
Phone: 1 (843) 228-7106 MCRD Parris Island does have a bowling alley on base; however, it is only open on Thursdays. The MCAS Beaufort Bowling Center is only a 25-minute drive from base and is open Friday through Sunday, in case you want to get in some weekend bowling. Whichever day you bowl, both are cost-effective outings for families and friends. Military personnel can bowl for only $4 per game ($4.50 for “Glow Bowl” on Friday and Saturday nights). The Bowling Centers are perfect for birthday parties, as well. If you’re going to bring a large group or party, though, just be sure to contact the MCCS Coordinator two weeks in advance at
1 (843) 228-7333.
MCRD Parris Island Golf Course
7. The Legends Golf Course299 Belleau Wood Rd. MCRD Parris Island, SC 29905
Phone: 1 (843) 228-2240 The Legends provides an excellent golfing experience with the convenience of its on-base location. The 18-hole, par-72 course has received top reviews from outlets like Golf Advisor. Military personnel can play an 18-hole round for as little as $18. If you want to work on your game, you can receive lessons from renowned instructor Andy Hinson for $35 per half-hour. Or, if you just want to hit some balls for a little while, take advantage of the driving range.
Museum Near MCRD Parris Island
8. Coastal Discovery Museum70 Honey Horn Dr. Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
Phone: 1 (843) 689-6767 Featuring 2,000 square feet of indoor exhibits and 68 acres of outdoor space to explore, the Coastal Discovery Museum offers guests of all ages the chance to learn about Hilton Head Island’s rich history. This Smithsonian-affiliated museum features many diverse exhibits, from the Discovery House – the museum’s oldest structure, built in 1859 – to their outdoor space with gardens, open field, and salt marsh. The Kids Zone will allow your children to learn and spark their imagination in a fun setting. Tours and activities are available, but it is recommended you book those online ahead of time, as they will fill up.
Outdoor Activities Near MCRD Parris Island
9. Broad River Fishing PierBeaufort, SC 29906 One of the more relaxing things to do in Parris Island is spend a day fishing. A great local spot is the Broad River Fishing Pier. The parking lot is shared with the Broad River Boat Landing just north of Highway 170. Reviewers claim this is a fruitful location for fishing, and while you wait for your big catch, you can enjoy a picnic. At the end of the day, you can bask in the beautiful Atlantic Ocean sunset.
10. Cypress Wetlands1700 Paris Ave. Port Royal, SC 29935 For nature fans, the Cypress Wetlands are a must. On this easy 0.80-mile trail, you can spot many species of birds, turtles, and, if you’re a little lucky (or unlucky, depending on your outlook), alligators. Dogs are welcome on this trail, too, so it’s a good opportunity for some exercise for the whole family.
ITT & All Points TravelDuring your time at MCRD Parris Island, make sure to utilize the Information, Tickets, and Travel (ITT) office for discounted tickets to local attractions, like theme parks and historical sites. They’ll also assist you with planning your next vacation with good rates on hotels, car rentals, airfare, and more. If you have children, the ITT will save you a lot of money on a trip to Universal Orlando or Disney World. They even have discounted shipping rates through FedEx. For more information, please contact the office below.
MCRD Parris Island/ERR ITT/All Points TravelBuilding 192 Panama St. MCRD Parris Island, SC 29905
Phone, Travel:1 (843) 228-3557
Phone, Tickets:1 (843) 228-1540
Hours:Monday-Friday: 0900 – 1700
ConclusionYou’ll never run out of fun things to do in Parris Island. Whether you’re a person who thinks the perfect afternoon is spent lazing by the pool or exploring nature, there’s something for you. This list can’t possibly include all the recreational activities on Parris Island and the surrounding region, but it is a good starting point. Be sure to ask friends and neighbors what some of their favorite activities near base are. Enjoy your time at MCRD Parris Island!
More like this:MCRD Parris Island Base Housing: On-Base Options
things to do
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts