24 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO NEAR EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE
By Rachel Childs
IntroductionWelcome to Edwards Air Force Base, the center of the aerospace testing universe and home of the Air Force Flight Test Center. Edwards AFB offers a number of recreational activities to enjoy during your time here: bowling, camping, golfing, shooting, swimming, and more. Off base, there's even more to explore. Read on to learn about 24 things to do at and near Edwards AFB. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1) Events (2) Community Center (3) Arts and Crafts (4) Bowling (5) Gyms (6-12) Outdoor Recreation (13) Golfing (14-17) Pools and Water Parks (18-19) Museums (20-21) Theaters and Performing Arts (22-24) Nearby Attractions
Suggested Read: Edwards AFB: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, the following venues may be operating under limited hours of operation or closed due to base or local community restrictions. Check the venue's website or call for current hours of operation and information on attendance guidelines and restrictions.
24 Things to Do Near Edwards AFB
Edwards Air Force Base Events
1. Base Events and ProgramsEdwards AFB offers the military community a number of special events and programs throughout the year. Events include the 4th of July Summer Bash, a Christmas tree lighting ceremony and Holiday Card Lane, base-wide holiday parties, and more. In 2020, the base brought back the Edwards AFB air show in a new way with the Aerospace Valley Hybrid Air Show. This hybrid shows incorporated flyovers and virtual STEM showcases and classes. For a full list of upcoming events, visit the Edwards AFB Force Support Squadron website.
Edwards AFB Community Center
2. Oasis Community CenterBuilding 2500 205 W. Popson Ave. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone: 1 (661) 275-2687 Edwards AFB's Oasis Community Center hosts instructional classes, base-wide events, entertainment programs, and more for airmen, families, and retirees. The center has Wi-Fi, gaming consoles, billiard tables, table tennis, air hockey, foosball, board games, a Panda Express, and a lounge area with a large-screen TV. Visit the center's website for information on upcoming events.
Arts and Crafts
3. Edwards AFB Arts & Craft CenterBuilding 2440 200 Methusa Road Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone: 1 (661) 275-2787 The base's Arts & Crafts Center has everything you need to create your next work of art. The center has a wood hobby shop, an engraving shop, and a frame shop for personalized gifts and memorabilia. Visit the website for information on upcoming events, classes, and activities.
Edwards AFB Bowling Alley
4. High Desert Lanes205 W. Fitzgerald Blvd. Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone: 1 (661) 275-2695 Strike up family-friendly fun at the Edwards AFB High Desert Lane's bowling center. The center has leagues for all ages, special events, tournaments, and more. If you get hungry, grab a snack at the center's Strike Zone Snack Bar.
Edwards AFB GymEdwards AFB offers an array of fitness and recreational activities. Programs and facilities include intramural and extramural sports, exercise classes, sports courts and fields, running tracks, running and bike trails, outdoor workout areas, and more. Visit the Edwards AFB Force Support Squadron website for more information.
5. Rosburg Fitness CenterBuilding 2200 210 W. Popson Ave. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone: 1 (661) 275-4961 The Rosburg Fitness Center has strength, cardio, and weight training equipment. The facility has a gymnasium for basketball, volleyball, and PT; wallyball and racquetball courts; saunas; and more. Visit the center's website for more information on exercise classes, massage therapy services, personal trainers, and other center amenities.
Edwards AFB Outdoor Rec
6. Outdoor RecreationBuilding 2500 205 W. Popson Ave. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone:1 (661) 275-2267 Edwards AFB's Outdoor Recreation offers a variety of services, including FamCamp camping facilities, equipment rentals, and more. Equipment rentals include sporting goods, water sports equipment, camping equipment, garden equipment, party equipment, inflatables, trailers, and other recreational gear. Outdoor Recreation can also give you information on the Edwards Riding Center and horse boarding, RV storage, private trip planning services, and the RecOn Initiative that provides outdoor adventure-based activities to airmen who are returning from deployments.
7. Edwards AFB Rod and Gun ClubBuilding 210 210 Adam's Way Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone:1 (661) 275-8727 Edwards AFB shooting facilities include an archery range, a rifle and pistol range, and skeet and trap ranges. Visit the website for information on annual memberships, special events, and rates.
8. Mojave Greens Disc Golf CourseBehind the Rosburg Fitness Center Building 2200 210 W. Popson Ave. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone:1 (661) 275-4961 The 18-hole, par-55 Mojave Greens Disc Golf Course is open to everyone. Discs can be checked out from the base fitness center or purchased at Outdoor Recreation's equipment rental facility in Building 7211 at 1100 Kincheloe Ave.
9. Scorpions Nest Paintball RangeBuilding 210 210 Adams Way Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone: 1 (661) 275-2267 Challenge your friends at Edwards AFB's Scorpions Nest Paintball Range. Equipment rentals and paintball supplies are available.
10. Arnold ParkEnd of Coliseum Drive Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone: 1 (661) 275-2267 Edwards AFB's Arnold Park features playground equipment, covered picnic areas, a staging area, and restrooms.
11. Branch Memorial ParkOff Lancaster Boulevard Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone: 1 (661) 275-2267 Edwards AFB's Branch Memorial Park features picnic areas and a pond.
12. Devil's Punchbowl Natural Area and Nature Center28000 Devil's Punchbowl Road Valyermo, CA 93563
Phone: 1 (661) 944-2743 The 1,310-acre Devil's Punchbowl Natural Area and Nature Center showcase a deep canyon, rock formations, and native flora and fauna. Visit the website for a full list of programs, including tours, animal presentations, bird walks, geology talks, moonlight hikes, telescope programs, and more.
Edwards AFB Golf Course
13. Muroc Lake Golf CourseBuilding 5611 111 Crossfield Drive Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone: 1 (661) 275-7888 Edwards AFB's 18-hole, par-72 Muroc Lake Golf Course marries desert beauty with well-manicured greens. Muroc Lake has a clubhouse, a pro shop, locker room facilities, and a number of golf programs and special events. And if you're hungry after a round of golf, grab a bite to eat at Sandbagger Grill.
Pools and Water Parks
14. Oasis Aquatic CenterBuilding 2501 207 W. Popson Ave. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone: 1 (661) 275-7946 The aquatics program at Edwards AFB offers lap swimming, open swimming, pool parties, and more. Visit the Force Support Squadron website for more information on aquatic center hours of operation and programs.
15. Muroc PoolBuilding 5600 275 Doolittle Parkway Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone: 1 (661) 277-3551 Edwards AFB's Muroc Pool is open seasonally. Visit the Force Support Squadron website for more information on the pool’s hours of operation and programs.
16. Sonic Splash PoolBuilding 5210 24 Lathrop Drive Edwards AFB, CA 93523
Phone: 1 (661) 277-3552 Edwards AFB's Sonic Splash Pool is open seasonally. Visit the Force Support Squadron website for more information on the pool's hours of operation and programs.
17. DryTown Water Park3850 E. Avenue S Palmdale, CA 93550
Phone: 1 (661) 267-6161 If you're looking to beat the heat, head to DryTown Water Park. The 6-acre park features thrilling water slides and rides, a lazy river, a pool, and an area for younger guests. Edwards Air Force Base Museums
18. Air Force Flight Test Museum405 S. Rosamond Blvd. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone: 1 (661) 277-8050 The Air Force Flight Test Museum’s aircraft and exhibits tell the story of more than 75 years of flight test research at Edwards AFB and the surrounding region. The museum's exhibits include aircraft propulsion systems, missiles, hardware, life support equipment, technical drawings, test reports, memorabilia, photographs, and wind tunnel models. Visit the website for information on current exhibits and upcoming events.
19. Blackbird Airpark2503 E. Avenue P Palmdale, CA 93550
Phone: 1 (661) 274-0884 An annex of Edwards AFB's Air Force Flight Test Museum, Blackbird Airpark in nearby Palmdale features the world's only display of a Lockheed SR-71A together with its predecessor the A-12. The airpark also displays the once ultra-secret D-21 drone and the last surviving U-2D model.
Theaters and Performing Arts
20. Edwards AFB Theater4 W. Yeager Blvd. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone: 1 (661) 275-3826 The Edwards AFB movie theater shows second runs of movies for free. Concessions are available for purchase. Visit the theater's website for current movies and showtimes.
21. Lancaster Performing Arts Center750 W. Lancaster Blvd. Lancaster, CA 93534
Phone: 1 (661) 723-5950 Lancaster Performing Arts Center showcases a variety of live entertainment: music, comedy, concerts, plays, ballets, orchestras, and more. Visit the website for information on upcoming shows and events.
22. Edwards AFB ITT OfficeBuilding 2500 205 W. Popson Ave. Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone:1 (661) 275-8747 For more information on things to do around Edwards AFB, visit the Edwards AFB Information, Tickets, and Travel website. ITT offers special military discount tickets to many local attractions, as well as national favorites like Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. Whatever travel destinations you seek, ITT staff can help you plan your trips and make sure your vacation is a memorable one.
23. The Cat House3718 60th St. W. Rosamond, CA 93560
Phone: 1 (661) 256-3793 The Exotic Feline Breeding Compound's Feline Conservation Center, also known as The Cat House, preserves and propagates rare and endangered felines through breeding, research, and education. The center is home to 70 cats of varying species, including leopards, bobcats, cougars, jaguars, and tigers. Visit the center's website for information on tours and special events.
24. Willow Springs International Raceway3500 75th St. W. Rosamond, CA 93560
Phone: 1 (661) 256-6666 The historic Willow Springs International Raceway hosts a variety of races on its seven tracks. Visit the website for information on upcoming events.
ConclusionEdwards AFB is full of fun opportunities, and the surrounding area offers even more things to do. Whether you want to make a splash at a water park, play a round of golf, or learn about historic aircraft, you're sure to make plenty of new memories.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts