20 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO NEAR TRAVIS AFB
IntroductionWelcome to beautiful California and your new home at Travis Air Force Base! Once you’ve gone through the process of checking in and getting yourself and your family settled, you’ll want to start venturing out and getting to know your new home. The trouble in any new town is knowing where to start and getting your bearings. This guide will help you find things to do on Travis AFB and give you some starting points and ideas for near the base as well. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-10) Outdoor Recreation (11) Bowling (12) Golfing (13) Arts and Crafts (14) Auto Hobby Shop (15) Gyms (16-20) Nearby Attractions
Suggested Read: Travis Air Force Base: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
Things to Do Near Travis AFBThere’s everything from youth programs, to sports, outdoor entertainment, and travel with the Travis AFB MWR.
Travis AFB Outdoor Rec
1. Travis AFB Outdoor Recreation273 Ellis Dr. Bldg. 863 Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-5659 The Outdoor Recreation Center offers tons of things to do. There is equipment rental for any type of activity as well as sales and resales. Want to try a new hobby but can’t afford to drop a thousand dollars on new gear? Check out the resales for deals and discounts. From rock climbing to paintball to surf excursions to classes, and steeply discounted tickets to parks, this is a great place to start getting out there. There is also a repair shop with qualified staff to repair your bikes, skis, and snowboard equipment.
2. Rock Climbing Wall273 Ellis Dr. Bldg. 863 Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-5659 Located inside the Outdoor Recreation facility, the climbing area features over 2,000 square feet of climbing surface for belay and open climbs. Private events can be reserved. Patrons under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Travis MarinaFort Baker, 1679 Sommerville Rd Sausalito, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (415) 332-2319 This amazing secret is located right in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge. Discover your love of sailing and the open water with private lessons or with private sails with a skipper provided between March and October.
4. Ballistic Ben’s Paintball Park125 Armstrong St. Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 398-5722 Feeling a little adventurous and want to try something new? Just feel like shooting one of your friends in the face (with the proper head protection of course)? Check out paintball at the Outdoor Recreation Complex! Private parties welcome and great for birthdays. Live out a LARP fantasy that you joined the Marines instead of the Air Force for the price of admission!
5. Travis Aquatic Center571 Travis Ave. Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-5283 The Aquatic Center is open seasonally and offers a base pool, swim lessons, and even a scuba shop with lessons and certifications!
6. Travisville ParkFairchild Dr. (Off Twin Peaks) Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-2817 The park features turf play fields, barbecues, playground, tennis courts, and pavilions making it a great spot for a sunny family outing or party. Reservations are free and available on a first come first serve basis at the Outdoor Recreation office.
7. California State Capitol Park1300 L St. Sacramento, CA 95814 Located next to the capitol museum, this scenic green space in the heart of downtown includes several historical monuments, memorials, flower gardens, and winding walking paths. While you are there you’ll have to check out some great local bars and restaurants!
8. Golden Gate National Recreation AreaOnly an hour away from base is the amazing city of San Francisco and it's beautiful bay. Take a walk from the Presidio across the world famous Golden Gate Bridge and enjoy the huge redwood forests in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area just to its north.
San FranciscoThis city has dozens of hidden gems, unique neighborhoods, and beautiful parks, each with their own history and style. You’ll want to make many trips into the city to explore and discover!
9. Fisherman’s WharfTake a walk along Fisherman’s wharf for lots of great restaurants, shops, fair-style rides and games.
10. Alcatraz IslandTake a boat tour out to Alcatraz Island to go whale watching.
More like this: 23 of the Best Travis AFB Restaurants
Travis AFB Bowling
11. Travis Bowl571 Travis Ave Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 437-4737 Offering full ten pin bowling at low prices, the bowling center offers 32 lanes, a restaurant, birthday party packages, and special events.
Travis AFB Golf Course
12. Cypress Lakes Golf Course5601 Meridian Rd. Bldg 2012 Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 448-7186 The par 72 course features tournaments, youth programs and leagues, private lessons, driving range, cart rental, fittings, rentals, and full pro shop. Enjoy lunch and refreshments at the restaurant after a sunny day out on the links at the Fairways Restaurant.
Travis AFB Arts and Crafts
13. Arts and Crafts Center511 Suisan Ave. Bldg 226 Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-2929 If you have a flair for the artistic or want to take up a new hobby or just need some tools and a place to work, the arts and crafts center has a framing and engraving shop as well as art classes.
Travis AFB Auto Hobby Shop
14. Auto Hobby Shop511 Suisan Ave. Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-5300 If you like working on cars, the auto hobby shop offers bay rentals where everyone from beginners to experienced self help enthusiasts can rent tools and ask professional mechanics for instructions to fix or upgrade their car for cheap.
Travis AFB Gym
Note: Gyms are still affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Active duty only with appointments may be admitted to use the gym. Be sure to call ahead to verify modified hours and COVID restrictions.
15. Travis Fitness Center550 Travis Ave, Bldg 434 Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-4385 This fitness center features indoor basketball courts, weight rooms, outdoor facilities, saunas and locker rooms, running tracks, tennis lesson, personal training, and smoothie bar.
16. Travis AFB ITT Office273 Ellis Drive. Bldg. 863 Travis AFB, CA 94535
Phone: 1 (707) 424-0969 Let Travis AFB Information, Tickets & Travel office take your vacations to the next level while saving you money. Here you can find discounted tickets to attractions such as Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Florida, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, LEGOLAND Florida and many more.
17. Vineyard ToursFamous for its wine country and vineyards, Napa Valley has tons of vineyard tours, tasting rooms, party venues, nature walks and more to discover.
18. Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon Adventure6525 Washington St. Yountville, CA 94599 Interested in doing something different? Take a hot air balloon ride for what might be the most romantic date ever (so long as neither of you are afraid of heights).
19. State Capitol Museum1315 10th St. Room B-27, Sacramento, CA 95814 Located only a half hour from base, you can visit the State Capitol Museum and the beautiful surrounding area of Capitol Park.
20. Sacramento Zoo3930 W Land Park Dr. Sacramento, CA 95822
Phone: 1 (916) 808-5888 Take the kids to the Sacramento Zoo for a nice family day activity.
ConclusionTravis AFB is in a great location with access to much of California’s most unique and desirable attractions. You’ll have no shortage of things to discover and, with the weather almost always nice, all year to get and do it! We hope this guide serves to get you started. Enjoy your new home and get out there and make some memories!
Suggested Read: How to Plan Your Next Great American National Park Road Trip
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts