15 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO NEAR FORT INDIANTOWN GAP (2021 EDITION)
By Chris Walker
IntroductionWelcome to Pennsylvania and your new home at Fort Indiantown Gap! National Guard training centers, while busy places, have very small contingents of permanent personnel compared to larger active duty bases. Accordingly, there are fewer on-post amenities such as recreation centers, bars, or hobby shops. This guide will help point you in the direction of those few things offered on post and give you an idea of what else is available in the local area. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-6) Outdoor Activities (7-8) Gyms (9-10) Museums (11) Sporting Events (12) Shopping (13-15) Breweries
Suggested Read:Fort Indiantown Gap: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
Things to Do Near Fort Indiantown GapThere’s everything from youth programs, to sports, outdoor entertainment, and travel with the Fort Indiantown Gap MWR.
Fort Indiantown Gap Outdoor Rec
1. HuntingFort Indiantown Gap Wildlife Office Bldg. 26-151 Tomstown Rd.
Phone: 1 (717) 821-3028 For those interested in hunting and fishing, the base offers registration in compliance with Pennsylvania Game Code Laws and Regulations to allow these activities on the land. There are over 17,000 acres over two regions; Cantonment, south of the Blue Mountains and Corridor which lies north of them. More information can be found on their website.
2. Outdoor Sports and Grills65 Fisher Road Annville, PA 17003
Phone: 1 (717) 245-4332 There are a number of outdoor athletic fields, basketball courts, and outdoor grill/picnic areas which may be reserved by your unit via RFMSS or at the Fort Indiantown Gap MWR Fire desk. You may also reserve grills and recreation equipment at the Blue Mountain Sports Arena or by calling 1 (717) 861-2711.
3. City Island10 N. 2nd St. Harrisburg, PA 17101 This recreational island has trails for biking and jogging, as well as boat rentals, a steam train, miniature golf, sports fields, gardens, and lovely views of the Susquehanna River.
4. Pride of the SusquehannaCity Island Harrisburg, PA 17101 This beautiful recreation of a paddleboat features deck seating with food and drinks, cocktails, wine, and beer to enjoy with the beautiful river views. A great relaxing ride makes a good afternoon activity.
5. Riverfront Park200 S Front St. Harrisburg, PA 17104 A nice long riverwalk along the Susquehanna with peaceful gardens and views. The parks features trails, statues, murals, and gazebos. A short walk from the State Capitol complex with access to City Island.
6. Pennsylvania State Capitol3rd St. Harrisburg, PA 17101 A beautiful park and building which Teddy Roosevelt once declared “the handsomest building I ever saw.” The Capitol complex is impressive and worth a stroll if you’re out in the parks and river walk areas.
Fort Indiantown Gap Gyms
Note: Gyms are still affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Active duty only with appointments may be admitted to use the gym. Be sure to call ahead to verify modified hours and COVID restrictions.
7. Warrior Fitness CenterBldg 12-99 Artillery Rd. Fort Indiantown Gap, PA 17003
Phone: 1 (717) 861-2711 The Warrior Fitness Center features a weight room with machines and free weights, treadmills, bikes, elliptical, and a locker room. The center is accessible with a key card issued to units upon check-in or checked out from the Blue Mountain Sports Arena. There is no permanent staff on-site but it is monitored by CCTV cameras by base police.
8. Blue Mountain Sports ArenaBldg 4-117 Arena Rd. Fort Indiantown Gap, PA 17003
Phone: 1 (717) 861-2711 The arena has a full locker room, saunas, a basketball court, volleyball and racquetball courts, three cardio rooms with televisions, a weight room, and organized fitness classes.
Fort Indiantown Gap Museum
9. National Civil War Museum1 Lincoln Cir. Harrisburg, PA 17103 Phone: 1 (717) 260-1861 The museum is a non-profit educational institution created to promote preservation of history and features exhibits about the causes, conduct, and aftermath of the US Civil War through an impressive collection of letters and artifacts.
10. State Museum of Pennsylvania300 North St. Harrisburg, PA 17120
Phone: 1 (717) 787-4980 The museum features permanent exhibits on the Civil War, state history, wildlife, prehistoric animals, transportation and industry, geology, archaeology, and anthropology. There are also traveling and changing exhibits such as women of Pennsylvania history.
11. FNB Field1 Championship Way City Island Harrisburg, PA 17101 Home of the Harrisburg Senators, the AA team affiliate of the Washington Nationals! Enjoy an afternoon at the ballgame at this lovely stadium located right in the middle of the Susquehanna River.
12. Tanger Outlets Hershey2547 Brindle Dr. Harrisburg, PA 17110 Located just south of base enjoy a large selection of premium stores at factory prices!
13. Appalachian Brewing Co50 N Cameron St. 50 Harrisburg, PA 17101
Phone: 1 (717) 221-1080 Founded in 1997, this great brewpub features local and craft beers with great food in a completely restored historic building in downtown Harrisburg. Tours and samplings available.
14. Zeroday Brewing Co250 Reily St. Ste. 103 Harrisburg, PA 17102
Phone: 1 (717) 745-6218 An interesting concept with a central brewery that has tasting rooms and outposts throughout the city which feature brews and food making it a fun way to do a walking tour of the city with stops for drinks.
15. Newfangled Brew Works8001 Union Station Blvd. Harrisburg, PA 17111
Phone: 1 (717) 982-6662 Craft beers with complex flavors and barbecue make this a great place to stop in and enjoy a relaxed day out with friends.
ConclusionFort Indiantown Gap is in a nice location near Harrisburg, Fredericksburg, and Hershey Pennsylvania, providing plenty of things to do in a nice family friendly area. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are also only an hour or two away making it very convenient to check out the best parts of Pennsylvania in an easy, drivable day trip. Enjoy your new home in the Keystone State!
More like this:
- How to Plan Your Next Great American National Park Road Trip
- Veteran and Military National Park Passes & Where You Can Go for Free
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts