21 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO NEAR KEESLER AFB
IntroductionYou’ve received orders to Keesler AFB, driven across the country, checked in to your new unit, unpacked the boxes, sent the kids to school, and had your first week at work. Now what? Well here is a short guide of things to do on and near Keesler AFB, Mississippi. There’s plenty of Gulf Coast and Bayou activities and culture to experience with its proximity to both New Orleans and Mobile. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-3) Outdoor Recreation (4) Bowling (5) Golfing (6-7) Events (8) Arts and Crafts (9) Auto Hobby Shop (10-12) Gyms (13-14) Beaches (15-19) Attractions (20) Museums (21) Movie Theater
Suggested Read:Keesler AFB: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
Things to Do Near Keesler AFB
Keesler AFB Outdoor Rec
1. Keesler AFB Outdoor Center and Marina500 Fisher St Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-3160 The outdoor recreation center and marina offer tons of things to do. There is equipment rental for any type of water sport, camping, sports, events and BBQs. The Keesler AFB marina offers mooring, storage, resale services, boat launch, and more. Check here for services, equipment, and prices.
2. Keesler AFB FamCamp2003 Atkinson Rd Biloxi, MS 39531
Phone:1 (228) 377-9050 Located 2/6 miles west of Keesler AFB, the FamCamp has 52 camping sites situated under beautiful Oak Trees. 42 sites have electricity hookups, water, and sewer for RVs. There is a laundry house, bathhouse and dump site for long camping stays and RV enthusiasts.
3. Lighthouse Park1050 Beach Blvd Biloxi, MS 39530
Phone:1 (228) 374-3105 This five acre park features a nature trail, a playground, a pavilion, and a visitor center. Enjoy the scenic lighthouse at sunset for a romantic date or take the whole family for a fun afternoon picnic.
Keesler Bowling Alley
4. Gaudé Lanes Bowling Center409 G St, Bldg 1203 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-2817 The bowling center features 24 lanes, a pro shop, 11th Frame Cafe, and a sports bar. They offer bowling leagues, birthday parties, and event spaces.
Keesler AFB Golf Course
5. Bay Breeze Golf CourseBay Breeze Event Center, 1st Floor 500 Ploesti Dr Keesler AFB, MS 7145
Phone:1 (228) 377-3832 An 18-hole course along the Back Bay and Keesler AFB Flightline. Services include club rentals, driving range, lessons, pro-shop and more. With excellent views of the Bay, this is an excellent way to spend a sunny afternoon.
6. Keesler Commons107 Galaxy St, Bldg 7503 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-3308 The Commons offers a ballroom, digital library, game rooms with air hockey and pool tables, movie area with a projector screen, outdoor lounge, print center, gaming lounge, and a puzzle room. You can reserve event spaces for parties and celebrations here.
7. McBride Commons512 Larcher Blvd, Bldg 2222 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-2821 This gathering space offers meeting rooms, lounges with gaming consoles, study tables, a teaching kitchen for those who want to learn some culinary skills, a coffee bar, print center, and arts and crafts center.
Keesler AFB Arts
8. Arts and Crafts Center512 Larcher Blvd, Bldg 2222 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-2821 If you have a flair for the artistic or want to take up a new hobby, the arts center offers studios for engraving, pottery, framing, or craft studios for building anything you like. Lessons, arts shows, and sales are all offered.
Keesler AFB Auto Hobby Shop
9. Auto Hobby Shop109 G St, Bldg 6005 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-3872 If you like working on cars, the auto hobby shop offers bay rentals where everyone from beginners to experienced self help enthusiasts can rent tools and ask professional mechanics for instructions to fix or upgrade their car for cheap.
Keesler AFB GymKeesler AFB offers three fitness centers as well as outdoor facilities to include: Crotwell track, Triangle Track, Softball fields, multi-purpose field, tennis courts, and sand volleyball courts. The running tracks are rubberized and feature distance markers. Personal training is available at all facilities.
Note:All gyms are currently affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Be sure to call ahead to verify modified hours and COVID restrictions.
10. Blake Fitness Center1201 H St, Bldg 1201 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-4385 This fitness center features indoor basketball courts, racquetball courts, parent child fitness room, outdoor par course, treadmills and ellipticals, bikes, hammer strength weight machines, rowing machines, and free weights.
11. Dragon Fitness Center606 Chappie James Blvd, Bldg 4106 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-3719 Dragon Fitness Center features free weights, weight machines, cardio machines, cycling rooms, group fitness classes, and Micro Fit Testing.
12. Triangle Fitness Center7504 Falcon St, Bldg 7504 Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Phone:1 (228) 377-3056 This fitness center features free weights, weight machines, cardio machines, and a boxing room. It also includes the Keesler AFB swimming pool.
Keesler AFB Beach
13. Biloxi Beach2200 Beach Blvd Biloxi, MS 39531 Keesler AFB is just minutes from 26 miles of man-made sand beaches along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. To the North lies the Back Bay of Biloxi, perfect for boating, fishing, kayaking, or stand up paddleboarding. The beaches have clean, fine sand and are very shallow, making wading for children very safe. Being in the Gulf of Mexico, there is very little surf and the water is very warm in the summer months making it a perfect place to spend lazy afternoons in the sun!
14. Orange Beach and Navarre BeachEast of the base are these two beautiful beaches with white sands and crystal blue waters. Along these beaches you can find various attractions like zip-lines and water sports plus lots of beachside restaurants and bars for cooling off.
Keesler AFB Attractions
15. CasinosIf you’re a fan of gambling or gaming, Biloxi has plenty of places for you to check out. The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino and the MGM are both popular spots to stop in and play craps or cards while enjoying a drink. Head to the Beau Rivage Resort for a show at the Beau Rivage Theater and enjoy live music and entertainment.
16. Biloxi Shuckers105 Caillavet St. Biloxi, MS 39530
Phone:1 (228) 233-3465 Enjoy a minor league baseball game at the MGM Park with the local team, the Biloxi Shuckers! America’s favorite past-time is right near home and not expensive in the least. Enjoy local food in the area around the stadium and have your peanuts and cracker jacks!
17. Audubon Zoo6500 Magazine St New Orleans, LA 70118
Phone:1 (504) 565-3033 Located on the western edge of the famous French Quarter, the Audubon Zoo has wonderful underwater exhibits with stingrays, sharks, otter feeding, touch tanks and more!
18. The French Quarter710 St Louis St. New Orleans, LA 70130
Phone:1 (504) 220-4291 If you’ve never been to New Orleans, this is the iconic area filled with beautiful and historic architecture, live music, unique and delicious food, beautiful churches and cathedrals, and colorful characters on every corner. Stop into a Voodoo shop and buy a good luck charm or enjoy a yard-long drink on the world famous Bourbon Street which is wild every night. If you’re lucky, you’ll run across a wedding parade or (even as morbid as it sounds) a funeral march, both of which feature long processions of people playing music, dancing, and celebrating life (albeit for two very different reasons). Head in for Mardi Gras for a true once in a lifetime experience!
Keesler AFB Museum
19. Lynn Meadows Discovery Center246 Dolan Ave Biloxi MS 39507
Phone:1 (228) 897-6039 This children’s museum has interactive exhibits and play areas for learning and fun. Summer camps, and Girl Scout workshops, as well as children and family classes and birthday parties make this a great family activity spot.
20. The National World War II Museum945 Magazine St New Orleans, LA 70130
Phone:1 (504) 528-1944 This museum is truly breathtaking. Originally built by author and New Orleans native, Stephen Ambrose as a D-Day museum, it was expanded by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks into the National WWII Museum. Featuring incredible exhibits of both the European and Pacific Theaters of the War as well as beautifully restored aircraft, interactive exhibits, and films narrated and performed by dozens of A-list Hollywood actors, this museum is moving, beautiful, and a must-see.
Keesler AFB Movie Theater
21. Welsh TheaterGalaxy St., Bldg 7408, Keesler Air Force Base, MS 39534
Phone:1 228-377-6627 Located conveniently on base, the Welsh Theater is the perfect place to go and watch all the newest movie flicks with your friends and family.
ConclusionKeesler AFB is in a great location in that it is in a nice stretch of the Gulf Coast, has access to the beach and is a quick drive to New Orleans offering something for everyone. Get out there and start exploring and you never know what you’ll find. We hope this guide is a great starting point for you and your family!
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts