WHITEMAN AFB HOUSING: 8 ON-BASE OPTIONS
By Chris Walker
IntroductionWelcome to Whiteman Air Force Base (AFB), located about an hour east of Kansas City. Moving in the military is a fact of life and getting settled and finding a home is always daunting. If you’re not looking to buy property in the area or the time is just not right for you, Whiteman AFB housing is a great option that is safe, reliable, and financially easy. This guide will help you figure out your options and get you started.
Suggested Read:Whiteman AFB: In-Depth Welcome Center
Whiteman AFB BAHBasic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is provided for you based on your rank and location. BAH is given if housing on-base is not available and you are looking at living in the surrounding area. The calculator below will help you figure out your BAH based on your rank, time in service, and duty station. You can follow this link to look up your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for your rank and zip code. This will help you create your budget and guide your home search. To learn more about what goes into your military BAH rate, visit our in-depth guide here.
Whiteman AFB BarracksUnaccompanied personnel in the ranks of E1-E3 and E4 with fewer than three years of service will be provided housing. Each individual will receive a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linen, and supplies for comfortable living. Permanent party personnel will be assigned one of the five building facilities based on unit and availability. Amenities include common spaces, recreation rooms, BBQ grills, game tables, vending machines, and free WiFi in the first floor common areas. Whiteman AFB Unaccompanied Housing 790 Mitchell Ave. Whiteman AFB, MO 65305 Phone: 1 (660) 687-5662
Whiteman AFB Housing OfficeWait times for every base vary depending on the time of year and availability so the first step is always to call the Military Housing Office. Their professionals can help answer any questions you have and assist you in the application process. You can also use the Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) to connect with your future destination before moving to get a jump on things during your transition. Military Housing Office 509 CES/CEIHH 301 Summit Drive Whiteman AFB, MO 65305 Phone: 1 (660) 687-4417 Hours: Monday through Friday: 0730-1600 (Central Time) Housing on-base is a public-private partnership with Whiteman Family Homes. The Air Force manages your housing application and the waitlist. The Privatized Managing Partner manages the lease signing, property management, and meeting the residents’ needs. Contact the Family Housing Office for directions on the application process and current wait times. You will need:
- DD Form 1746
- Navy: Stamped Orders & Command Sponsorship Letter (not Page 2)
- Marine Corps: Detaching Orders & Reporting Endorsement (from S-1)
- Air Force: SURF, Orders
- Army: ERB (Enlisted)/ORB (Officers), Orders
- Coast Guard: CGMI (Member Information), CGBI, Dependency Data Sheet
- Reserve/Guard: Active Duty orders under Title 32
Whiteman AFB Housing OptionsThere are eight neighborhoods on Whiteman AFB. All are pet friendly but there are some breed restrictions and households are limited to two animals. Note: Even though some neighborhoods may include all ranks, only certain units within that neighborhood may be available to certain ranks. Though some neighborhoods are open to all ranks, certain floor plans may be restricted to those of higher rank.
1. Bear LakeRanks: E1-E6 This neighborhood of three and four bedroom homes feature fenced-in backyards, masters suites, two-car garages and more. The area has easy access to recreational trails, parks, Bear Lake, and the Lemay Gate.
2. Bear Lake IIRanks: E1-E6 This neighborhood has two to four bedroom townhomes featuring fully equipped kitchens with a breakfast bar or island, fenced-in backyards, and two-car garages.
3. LakesideRanks: E1-E6, E9, O1-O7 This neighborhood has two to four bedroom homes featuring fenced-in backyards, fully equipped kitchens with breakfast bar, and two-car garages. The community is just steps away from the community center, miniature golf course, and the Base Clinic.
4. Lakeside IIRanks: E1-E6 This neighborhood features spacious three and four bedroom homes with fully equipped kitchens, open floor plans, and master suites with double closets. The tree-lined neighborhood is within easy walking distance of recreational trails and several parks.
5. MidlandRanks: E1-E6 This neighborhood of cozy two bedroom homes features single-car garages, covered patios, front porches, and fenced-in backyards. Conveniently located near the community center, base clinic, dog park, and elementary school.
6. RidgeviewRanks: E1-E6 This neighborhood offers two, three, and four bedroom homes with covered patios and front porches, fully equipped kitchen, and a storage shed. Located near Ike Skelton Park and Lake.
7. WoodviewRanks: E1-E9 This neighborhood offers two, three, and four bedroom homes with two-car garage, master suite with walk-in closet and storage space. Located in easy reach of the Shoppette and Knob Noster State Park.
8. Woodview IIRanks: E1-E6 This neighborhood of two and three bedroom homes features single-car garages, fenced-in backyards, and fully equipped kitchens with a breakfast bar. Located an easy distance of the community center, Shoppette, and Knob Noster State Park.
ConclusionMoving around every few years in the military is tiring and scouring for housing in the local community is a big task. Base housing is a safe and familiar option that can help get your family settled quickly and a little less stressful. Be sure to always check with the Military Housing Office first for any questions in the process. Enjoy your new duty station and best of luck!
More like this:15 Of the Best Things to Do in Whiteman AFB
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts