25 OF THE BEST GOODFELLOW AFB THINGS TO DO
IntroductionWelcome to Goodfellow Air Force Base, one of the few non-flying Air Force Bases that provides cryptologic and intelligence training across the U.S. military. As you get settled into your new home, you’re probably looking for some ideas of things to do in the area. You’re in luck! Goodfellow AFB is just a short drive from the bustling city of San Angelo and a few hours from San Antonio and Austin. The San Angelo area is known for its hot and (usually) dry climate so you can look forward to enjoying a variety of outdoor activities throughout the year. Here is a list of 25 of the best things to do while living in or near Goodfellow Air Force Base. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to what you go: (1-5) Outdoor Recreation (6) Golfing (7) Gyms (8) Bowling (9-17) Nearby Attractions (18-23) Museums (24) Movie Theaters (25) Distilleries and Breweries
Suggested Read:Goodfellow Air Force Base: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
25 Goodfellow AFB Things to Do
Goodfellow AFB Outdoor Recreation
1. Outdoor Adventures1950 S. Concho St. Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908
Phone:1 (325) 654-5643 The Rec Camp amenities include bathrooms, showers, a playground, sand volleyball, a pool is available during the summer months in addition to boat, cabin, kayak and paddleboard rentals. During office hours there are also snacks and drinks available for purchase. Call to find out about availability and to make reservations.
2. Twin Buttes Reservoir702 S. Chadbourne St. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 277-8766 Twin Buttes Reservoir is an artificial lake located about 16 miles southwest of Goodfellow AFB, and immediately upstream from Lake Nasworthy. Visitors enjoy fishing for bass, crappie and catfish, hiking, camping and picnicking in the reservoir.
3. Lake Nasworthy702 S. Chadbourne St. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 277-8766 Lake Nasworthy is an old shallow reservoir. Numerous boat ramps and camping areas are located around the lake. Recreational fishing is available with the proper licenses.
4. Concho River Walk290 W. Veterans Memorial Drive San Angelo, TX 76903 The Concho River Walk has been designated one of five Great Public Spaces on the American Planning Association’s annual Great Places in America list. The four-mile pathway along the Concho River offers scenic views.
5. Bart DeWitt Park330 S. Irving St. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 657-4279 Bart DeWitt Park is a 10-acre park that boasts nearly a mile of paved walking trails and most of it is lighted. There is a large parking lot on site for visitors, BBQ grills, concessions and a skate park.
Goodfellow AFB Golf Course
6. Quicksand Golf Course2305 Pulliam St. San Angelo, TX 76905
Phone:1 (325) 482-8337 Located on 300 rolling acres along the Concho River, Quicksand Golf Course is 7,171 yards of challenging golf featuring a number of bunkers, several water hazards along with generous rolling fairways that combine to make this a unique experience. Along with golf, Quicksand also offers players a fully stocked pro shop and restaurant.
Goodfellow AFB Gym
7. Mathis Sports and Fitness CenterBldg. 140 Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908
Phone:1 (325) 654-3242 The Mathis Sports and Fitness Center offers cardio and weight-lifting equipment. The center also has an outdoor running track and obstacle course. Reservations can be made online. Call for more information and for hours.
Goodfellow AFB Bowling Alley
8. Thede Bowling CenterBldg. 800 Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908
Phone:1 (325) 6543227 Thede Bowling Center offers eight lanes with large screen televisions to watch the game and a fully stocked restaurant. Cosmic bowling and party facilities are available. The center also includes a set of batting cages for baseball and softball.
9. Consolidated Learning CenterBldg. 316 Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908
Phone:1 (325) 654-3314 The Goodfellow AFB Consolidated Learning Center provides military personnel with access to a library filled with books, movies, audiobooks, video games, language materials and more to check out. The center also has 44 computers to use on base and laptops to borrow.
10. Information, Tickets and TravelBldg. 109 Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908
Phone:1 (325) 654-5249 Goodfellow AFB's Information, Tickets and Travel (ITT) is your one-stop-shop for all of your destinations. The ITT office has discount tickets for attractions nationwide such as theme parks, dinner theater shows, museums, aquariums and more. This office is a great resource for seeking out new adventures and area information.
11. McGarr PoolPollard Street Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908
Phone:1 (325) 654-3225 The McGarr Pool is a lap pool with two slides, available for military personnel and guests ages 5 and up. It can be reserved for pool parties on a seasonal basis. Open from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
12. Rec Camp Pool1925 South Concho San Angelo, TX 76904 Phone: 1 (325) 9441012 The Rec Camp Pool is a recreational pool with an open slide and is available for military personnel and guests of all ages. Private parties can be booked here. Call for hours and availability.
13. San Angelo Nature Center7409 Knickerbocker Road San Angelo, TX 76904 Phone: 1 (325) 942-0121 The San Angelo Nature Center is a collection of animals, along with related exhibits and information, that are native to the Southwest. Among the animals are bobcats, skunks, a porcupine, hissing cockroaches, tarantulas, scorpions, turtles, lizards and snakes.
14. San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo200 W. 43rd St. San Angelo, TX 76903 Phone: 1 (325) 653-7785 The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo works to bring top notch events to the West Texas area. The primary event every year is the Stock Show and Rodeo. You can also attend the Cinch Roping Fiesta, the Fall Spectacular Jackpot Livestock Show, the Silver Spur Circuit Octoberfest AQHA Show, and the San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo Quarter Horse Show.
15. The Bosque330 S. Irving St. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 657-4450 The Bosque area is open to the public daily and people may bring their own equipment to use at the washer-pitching pits, putt-putt golf course, sand volleyball court and bocce ball, play oversized chess, rent paddle boats, and concessions.
16. Angelo State University Planetarium2333 Vanderventer Ave. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 942-2136 The renovated ASU Planetarium on the first floor of the Vincent Nursing-Physical Science Building contains the distinctive combination of a Sci-Dome HD digital projector and large tilted dome theater. The Sci-Dome HD projector is capable of projecting more than 500 million stars and celestial objects.
17. Concho Valley Vietnam Veterans Memorial8051-8091 Knickerbocker Road San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 947-3589 The Concho Valley Vietnam Veterans Memorial is at the entrance to the municipal airport and Knickerbocker Road. It is a tribute to the 48 men from 15 of the West Texas Concho Valley counties who died in service related to the Vietnam War, and to those who served and survived.
Goodfellow AFB Museums
18. Fort Concho Museum630 S. Oakes St. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 657-4444 Fort Concho is a former U.S. Army installation and National Historic Landmark that now showcases various exhibits, displays and artifacts. Composed of 24 original and restored structures, the site’s tour buildings are presented with a mixture of original and replica furnishings, equipment and artillery.
19. San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts1 Love St. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 653-3333 The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts is an art museum that features a growing permanent collection and is home to traveling exhibitions. In addition, it features a research library, an education wing, a rooftop sculpture collection, and community meeting space.
20. Miss Hattie’s Bordello Museum18 E. Concho Ave. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 653-0112 Miss Hattie’s Bordello Museum is an interpretive museum in downtown San Angelo where “Miss Hattie” operated a brothel from 1902 to 1952. The building was constructed in 1896 and many original elements remain. Tours are available for up to 15 people.
21. Railway Museum of San Angelo703 S. Chadbourne St. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 486-2140 The San Angelo depot was a major landmark in the area as it was the largest building in town when it was built. Today, the depot houses the Railway Museum of San Angelo and there are railroad artifacts and exhibits, historical documents and photographs, static displays of railcars on the outside and operating model train layouts on the inside.
22. Pop Art Museum125 W. Twohig Ave. San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone:1 (325) 245-5472 The Pop Art Museum is centered on the idea of finding art in uncommon places. The museum is housed in a once-abandoned bowling alley and features more than 30 art pieces designed by local artists.
23. Paintbrush Alley701 S. Irving St. Alley San Angelo, TX 76903 Paintbrush Alley is an open air collection of murals and street art that runs between Concho Street and West Twohig.
Goodfellow AFB Movie Theater
24. Goodfellow AFB TheaterBldg. 812 Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908
Phone:1 (325) 654-3206 Goodfellow AFB Movie Theater shows first-run movies for a low price. It’s a great place to host a special event or it can be used for briefs, ceremonies and meetings.
25. BreweriesFrom draft suds to small-batch spirits, you’ll find several breweries near Goodfellow Air Force Base that give a whole new meaning to the word “craft.” After all, sipping a cold one while enjoying some authentic Texas BBQ is what it’s all about, and local brewmasters take their art form and passion seriously. Find a craft brewery close to Goodfellow AFB or venture further out to enjoy that hoppy goodness.
ConclusionThings are indeed bigger in Texas, and that is why there are so many things to do while you’re living and working in Goodfellow AFB and in the San Angelo, TX area. It’s the perfect place for outdoor enthusiasts, history buffs, budding photographers and food lovers alike. Whatever your mood or hobby, there’s plenty of things to do in Goodfellow Air Force Base.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts