EXPLORE AWE-INSPIRING NATURE AT THE PRINCE WILLIAM FOREST PARK
By Buddy Blouin
Finding a refuge away from the hustle and bustle of the city is easy if you're near Washington D.C. or Northern Virginia. Tucked away is the quiet, preserved Prince William Forest Park, a stunning National Park that's ready to provide you with recreation and a way to reconnect with the Great Outdoors. Opened in 1936 as the Chopawamsic Recreation Area, the park started as a children's "relief" camp during the Great Depression and was renamed to its current namesake in 1948. Discover a beautiful forest with serene streams and stunning wildlife that brings together campers, recreational enthusiasts, and outdoorsy folks of all kinds.
Read next:Great Games and Grub Await at Rosie’s Gaming Emporium in Dumfries
Where Is Prince William Forest Park?If you're looking for the entrance to Prince William Forest Park, you’ll want to head out to 18170 Park Entrance Rd., Triangle, VA 22172. The park is a popular National Park that does require an entrance fee of $20 per vehicle. These fees are used to help maintain the park in accordance with nationally recognized fees and standards to ensure the park is a vibrant recreational space for years to come.
Does Prince William Forest Park Have Paved Bike Trails?A visit to Prince William Forest Park will provide cyclists with both on and off-road biking opportunities. These rides will range in difficulty, meaning that a park is a great place for biking no matter where you fall in experience. Here’s what you need to know:
- This Northern Virginia hotspot features 12 miles of paved roads and over 9 miles of gravel roads for enjoying.
- As many as 3 miles of the Scenic Drive feature flat, paved roads that are suggested for beginners.
- There are ten fire roads that provide the perfect place for those with mountain bikes to take things off-road.
- Electronic bicycles are allowed.
- Both the hiking trails and the Chopawamsic Backcountry Area are off-limits to biking. Please respect all posted signs, rules, and regulations. This includes not disturbing the wildlife.
Amenities and FeaturesThere are more than 16,000 acres preserved within the park, so there’s a lot to discover. Here’s what you can expect during your visit:
- Guests can explore various hiking trails, roads, and bike trails.
- There are campgrounds as well as more than 100 cabins in the park.
- Prince William Forest Park can accommodate tents, campers, and RVs.
- History is all around you, with many historical sights to be explored.
- Events keep guests coming back for more, including the Heritage Festival and Spy Camp.
- Volunteer opportunities are available for those looking to get involved.
- Pets are welcomed, though owners must act responsibly, and some restrictions do apply. You can find more information about pets visiting the park online.
- Annual Passes are $35 per year, while vehicles are $20 per visit. Per-visit passes last for seven consecutive days. Motorcycles can enter for $15, while visitors on foot or bike may enter for only $10 for the same time frame.
Does Prince Williams Forest Park Sell Senior Passes?Senior Annual and Lifetime passes are available for purchase. You’ll need proof of age through a valid ID. The pass is available to those ages 62 and over who are American citizens as well as permanent residents living in the United States. An Annual Pass for seniors runs $20, while Lifetime Passes are $80. You’ll also receive half off of Prince Williams Forest Park camping as a senior. Should you purchase four Annual Passes, you can trade them for a Lifetime Pass at no extra cost.
Prince William Forest Park Is a Great Place for Recreation Near MCB QuanticoThe entrance to Prince William Forest Park is only minutes away from MCB Quantico. This proximity to the military installation makes it a popular place for recreation with military members, their families, and the many civilian workers that live in the area. No matter how you're looking to enjoy nature, Prince William Forest Park in Virginia is a wonderful place to enjoy the beauty of America in a variety of ways and for all ages. Be sure to plan your trip today!
Suggested read:Quantico Marine Base vs. Quantico TV Show
Image: Find Your Chesapeake
Prince William Forest Park
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts