18 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO AROUND ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND
By Sean Bess
IntroductionAt your new posting at Aberdeen Proving Ground you’ll find that there are no shortage of great things to do around the area. Whether you are looking for something to do with the family or you are seeking a solo outdoor adventure, the activities in and around Aberdeen are sure to keep you busy and help you make some memories. Below each of the activities in the area have been organized into categories. You can click any of the categories to jump to the section if you already know what you want to do around Aberdeen Proving Ground. (1-4) Golfing (5-8) Gyms (9-11) Movies (12-13) Bowling (14-16) Parks, Rivers, and Lakes (17-18) Museums
Suggested Read:Aberdeen Proving Ground: In-Depth Welcome Center
Aberdeen Proving Ground Things to Do
APG Golf Course
1. Ruggles Golf Course5600 Maryland Blvd. Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Phone:1 (410) 278-4794 Ruggles Golf Course is an 18 hole championship golf course with a driving range, putting green, chipping area, pro shop, golf lessons, locker rooms, and the Southerland Grille—this eating establishment is open daily and is available to cater events.
2. Bel Air Golf Center3103 Belair Rd. Kingsville, MD 21087
Phone:1 (410) 817-4653 Bel Air Golf Center offers a 40 tee pad driving range, a short game area, sand trap, as well as a 18 hole miniature golf course. Additionally, Bel Air Golf Center is lighted and offers evening hours—this establishment doesn’t close until 21:00. The Bel Air Golf Center also boasts PGA Teaching Professionals and USGTF Teaching Pros on staff.
Havre De Grace
3. Bulle Rock Golf Course320 Blenheim Ln #2003 Havre De Grace, MD 21078
Phone:1 (410) 939-8887 Bulle Rock Golf Course is an 18 hole golf course. The course offers an award winning golf shop that is equipped to provide golfers with golf balls, golf gloves, golf apparel, rain gear, golf clubs, and more. Also, Bulle Rock Golf Course has the Gourmet Pub & Grill, which is open 12:00-19:00 seven days a week and offers guests seafood, steak, chicken, soup, pizza, sandwich, and salad options.
4. Wetlands Golf Course740 Gilbert Rd. Aberdeen, MD 21001
Phone:1 (410) 273-7488 Wetlands Golf Course is an 18 hole golf course with a practice range and a clubhouse that boasts a banquet hall, showers, bathrooms, locker rooms, Bogie’s Sports Bar and Grille, and more.
5. Aberdeen Health and FitnessBuilding 320 Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Phone:1 (410) 278-9725 Aberdeen Health and Fitness offers treadmills, stationary bikes, rowing machines, free weights, and weight machines among other training equipment.
6. Aberdeen Athletic Center6432 Frankford Street APG North Building 3300 Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland 21005
Phone:1 (410) 278-7933 Aberdeen Athletic Center offers gym-goers cardio equipment, free weights and circuit weights, basketball courts, volleyball courts, racquetball courts, as well as locker and shower facilities.
7. Planet Fitness3442 Emmorton Rd. Abingdon, MD 21009
Phone:1 (410) 809-2593 Planet Fitness strives to create an environment where anyone is welcome, regardless of one’s fitness level. Like most gyms, Planet Fitness offers an array of cardio machines, free weights, and various weight machines. Additionally, Planet Fitness allows “Black Card” members to bring a guest anytime, use of tanning machines, use of massage chairs, 50% off drink purchases, and 20% off purchases at reebok.com.
8. Anytime Fitness5 Bel Air S Pkwy. Bel Air, MD 21015
Phone:1 (410) 569-0009 Anytime Fitness offers members access to the gym 24 hours a day. The gym boasts a wide variety of strength training machines, including cable machines, multi-stations, leg presses, bench presses, and squat racks. Additionally, you can expect to find plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, free weights, racks, kettlebells, cable crossovers, rowing machines, and a whole lot more.
APG Movie Theater
9. Aberdeen Proving Ground Post Theater3245 Aberdeen Blvd. Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Phone:1 (410) 278-2432 Aberdeen Proving Ground Post Theater is a great on-post option that offers select movies with comfortable seating and delicious snack options.
10. Regal Bel Air Cinema409 Constant Friendship Blvd. Abingdon, MD 21009
Phone:1 (844) 462-7342 Regal Bel Air Cinema boasts multiple large screens featuring new release films, comfortable chairs, and a concession stand with a variety of options.
11. AMC CLASSIC Churchville 72408 Churchville Rd. Bel Air, MD 21015
Phone:1 (410) 734-9275 AMC CLASSIC Churchville 7 offers moviegoers 3D and jumbo digital screens, new release films, as well as opera productions and sports events.
APG Bowling Alley
12. Brewner Lanes (APG Bowling Center)Aberdeen Boulevard APG North Bldg. 2342 Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Phone:1 (410) 278-4041 Brewner Lanes (APG Bowling Center) is a 12 lane bowling alley with automated scoring and bowling leagues. Additionally, this bowling center has Strike Force Cafe for those who are looking to enjoy some food while hitting a few pins.
13. Harford Lanes20 Custis St. Aberdeen, MD 21001
Phone:1 (410) 272-3555 Harford Lanes is a 20 lane bowling alley with a full service snack bar and Rackbusters Pro-Shop, which can meet any of your bowling needs while you’re enjoying the day at Harford Lanes.
Parks, Rivers, and Lakes
14. Aberdeen Festival Park34 N Philadelphia Blvd. Aberdeen, MD 21001
Phone:1 (410) 638-4789 Aberdeen Festival Park is a great venue for outdoor birthday parties or celebrations of any kind. The park has a large, open field along with a pavilion, park benches, and a playground.
15. Aberdeen Dog Park60 North Parke Street Aberdeen, Maryland 21001
Phone:1 (410) 272-1600 Aberdeen Dog Park is a great outdoor option if you are looking for a safe, fenced-in spot to take your dog that also offers plenty of shade.
Havre De Grace
16. Millard Tydings Memorial Park908 S Washington St. Havre De Grace, MD 21078
Phone:1 (410) 939-1800 Millard Tydings Memorial Park offers 22 acres of nature that overlooks the river. The beautiful views, along with the picnic areas, pavilion, and playground make it a perfect outing for families or simply nature lovers.
Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum
17. The Aberdeen Room Archives & Museum18 Howard St. Aberdeen, MD 21001
Phone:1 (410) 273-6325 The Aberdeen Room Archives & Museum was established in 1987 and gives visitors a chance to see historic documents, collections, and other local artifacts that chronicle the cultural growth of the Aberdeen area from its early beginnings to today.
Havre De Grace
18. Havre De Grace Decoy Museum215 Giles St. Havre De Grace, MD 21078 Phone: 1 (410) 939-3739 Havre De Grace Decoy Museum was established in 1986 and today is known as the “Decoy Capital of the World.” This quirky museum prides itself in its extensive collection of decoys, which it refers to as “one of the finest collections of working and decorative Chesapeake Bay decoys ever assembled.”
ConclusionWe are sure that your new posting at Aberdeen Proving Ground will provide you with plenty of opportunities to get out and about. The city of Aberdeen and the surrounding areas offer residents a relaxing day at the park or a competitive day at the bowling alley, and a whole lot more. Whatever your preferences, there are several spots waiting to be discovered and enjoyed with family and friends.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts