23 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO NEAR NELLIS AFB
By Chris La Porte
IntroductionYour new posting at Nellis AFB is surrounded by adventures, activities, and all sorts of things to do around the base. Las Vegas is much more than just The Strip full of hotels and casinos. There’s plenty to do for the whole family and much of it elsewhere than downtown Las Vegas. You will find plenty to do from great outdoor trails to the NASCAR speedway just around the corner from Nellis Air Force Base. We have organized activities into categories below; click any of them to jump to the section if you already know what you want to do around Nellis AFB. (1-3) Golfing (4-6) Gyms (7-8) Movie Theaters (9-14) Outdoor Recreation (15-17) Attractions (18-23) Museums
Suggested Read:Nellis Air Force Base: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available for the time being. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
Things to Do Near Nellis AFB
Nellis AFB Golf Course
1. Sunrise Vista Golf Course2841 Kinley Drive, Bldg. 1619, Nellis AFB, NV 89191
Phone: 1 (702) 652-2602 Nellis AFB’s own championship golf course, complete with one of the more diverse breakfast and lunch options on base at the Championship’s Grille. Sunrise Vista also offers a place to host your next social event at their banqueting facilities.
2. Nellis AFB Disc Golf Course123 Kinley Dr North Las Vegas, NV 89115 If you are looking for something a little different, the Nellis AFB Disc Golf Course has you covered. This well-manicured 9-hole disc golf course makes for a great outing for the entire family. North Las Vegas
3. Shadow Creek Golf Course3 Shadow Creek Dr, North Las Vegas, NV 89081
Phone: 1 (170) 239-97111 Ranked in Golf Digest’s list of America’s Top 100 Golf Courses, Shadow Creek Golf Course is carved into the landscape and a perfect example of the stunning design of architect Tom Fazio. It’s the perfect golf oasis in the Nevada desert.
Nellis AFB Gym
4. Warrior Fitness Center3705 Freedom Circle, Bldg. 1705, Nellis AFB, NV 89191
Phone: 1 (702) 652-4891 With 1 million dollars in new equipment, the Warrior Fitness Center on Nellis AFB will probably be your go-to athletic facility. It features three basketball courts, an indoor running track, and an indoor swimming pool.
North Las Vegas
5. EōS Fitness6564 Losee Rd, North Las Vegas, NV 89086
Phone: 1 (702) 657-0171 This 24-hour facility offers cutting edge cardio machines, over 60 group classes, and a sauna for the full workout experience.
6. Anytime Fitness6520 E Lake Mead Blvd Ste 107, Las Vegas, NV 89156
Phone: 1 (702) 438-2407 Anytime Fitness focuses on personalizing your workout experience with assessment consultation, team workouts, and personal trainers.
7. Nellis Movie TheaterStealth Ave, Nellis AFB, NV 89191
Phone: 1 (702) 679-0967 This free admission movie theater is right on Nellis AFB and plays movies for the entire family.
North Las Vegas
8. Galaxy Theatres Cannery2121 E Craig Rd, North Las Vegas, NV 89030
Phone: 1 (702) 639-0363 With reclining seats and a concession stand that even serves wine and beer, Galaxy Theatre is a great place to watch this year’s blockbusters and a small selection of hits from years past.
Nellis AFB Outdoor Rec
9. Martin Luther King Park5439 E Carey Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89156 Martin Luther King Park offers large open lawns, picnic areas, two basketball courts, two volleyball courts, a skatepark, and a playground.
10. Douglas A. Selby Park1293 N Sandhill Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89110
Phone: 1 (702) 229-6718 Douglas A. Selby Park features a soccer field, basketball court, and dog park separated for small and large dogs. A great place to relax along the Las Vegas Wash Trail.
11. Alexander Villas Park3620 Lincoln Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
Phone: 1 (702) 412-8330 This 13-acre park has just about every amenity you could hope for in a park, from water fountains to beat the heat, picnic areas, softball fields, basketball courts, and even a fitness area.
12. Clark County Wetlands Park7050 Wetlands Park Ln, Las Vegas, NV 89122
Phone: 1 (702) 455-7522 A little farther south of the base and on the east side of Las Vegas lies Clark County Wetlands Park, the largest park in Clark County. Go for a hike in this 2900 acre nature park, featuring trailheads and birdwatching, and get away from the noise of the city.
North Las Vegas
13. Tropical Breeze Park1505 E Tropical Pkwy, North Las Vegas, NV 89081
Phone: 1 (702) 633-1171 The pirate ship playground and splash pad makes Tropical Breeze Park the perfect place to cool off on a hot day.
14. Lake Mead National Recreation Area10 Lakeshore Rd, Boulder City, NV 89005
Phone: 1 (702) 293-8990 The Lake Mead Rec Area is east of Las Vegas but offers a 1.5 million acre escape from the city. Enjoy plenty of water activities and hiking trails.
15. Nellis ITT4325 N Washington Blvd Bldg. 374 Nellis AFB, NV 89191
Phone: 1 (702) 652-2193 The Nellis AFB ITT (Information, Tickets & Travel) Office has special offers and discounts on admission to nearby attractions for military personnel and their families. This office is a great go-to when you’re ready to explore all that Nevada has to offer!
16. Hoover DamNevada, 89005
Phone: 1 (702) 494-2517 A little farther out from the base is the famous Hoover Dam, which is worth a day trip for historic tours and beautiful vista views. They even provide military discounts for their tours, so make sure to check their website for visitor information.
17. Las Vegas Motor Speedway7000 Las Vegas Blvd N, Las Vegas, NV 89115
Phone: 1 (702) 644-4444 Watch your favorite NASCAR events, drag racing, and other special racing events at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Conveniently, the Speedway is just down Las Vegas Blvd from the base.
18. Nellis AFB Museum New Vegas4445 Tyndall Ave, Nellis AFB, NV 89191
Phone: 1 (702) 652-7200 The home of the famous Thunderbirds Squadron is located right on Nellis AFB. Take a tour of the museum featuring 64 years of the team’s history. Be sure to always call ahead as the museum can close without notice due to the squad’s busy schedule.
19. Las Vegas Natural History Museum900 Las Vegas Blvd N, Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: 1 (702) 384-3466 Dinosaurs, saber-tooth tigers, and bears, oh my! Closer to downtown, the Las Vegas Natural History Museum features a dozen exhibits ranging from prehistoric wildlife to the wonders of ancient Egypt.
20. Metropolitan Gallery/Art Museum Las Vegas450 Fremont St #270, Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: 1 1(702) 382-2926 For a taste of the creative, head down to the Metropolitan Gallery/Art Museum for a rotating collection of artwork from artists of every background.
21. Nevada State Museum309 S Valley View Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89107
Phone: 1 (702) 486-5205 Those interested in local history should visit the Nevada State Museum. It features a rotating collection of fresh exhibits with an in-depth permanent display exploring the prehistoric formation of the state, Native American history, the tale of the first pioneers, and the forming of modern Las Vegas.
22. Children's Museum Las Vegas360 Promenade Place, Las Vegas, NV 89106
Phone: 1 (702) 382-3445 The perfect museum for the kids. Exhibits at the Discovery Children’s Museum are full of interactive activities designed to allow kids to explore, imagine, and create.
23. Neon Museum Las Vegas770 Las Vegas Blvd N Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: 1 (702) 387-6366 Open most nights from 4PM to Midnight, The Neon Museum is the perfect place to head to after dining at one of our favorite restaurants. Here, you’ll explore the history of Las Vegas famous neon lights and how they have changed over the decades.
ConclusionA city as large and famous as Las Vegas is sure to offer more than can fit on one list. You will no doubt find your favorite spots and can always talk to the locals about more great things to do around Nellis AFB. Whether it’s a cool escape inside a movie theater from the heat or a day out at the Hoover Dam, we hope that you and your family enjoy the activities around Nellis Air Force Base. And don’t forget to check out the many restaurants along the Vegas Strip for a night out.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts