13 CAMP H.M. SMITH HOUSING OPTIONS (2021 EDITION)
By Chris Walker
IntroductionWelcome to Camp HM Smith, a part of Marine Corps Base (MCB) Hawaii on the beautiful island of Oahu. The base itself is centered at Kaneohe Bay but there are multiple camps and associated neighborhoods around the island. This is a big move for most people so you may have more questions than normal. If you’re not looking to buy property on the island or stay long term, Camp HM Smith base housing is probably the best option for you. This guide will help you figure out your options and get you started.
Suggested read:Camp H.M. Smith Welcome Center
Camp HM Smith BAHBasic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is provided for you based on your rank and location. BAH is given if housing on-base is not available and you are looking at living in the surrounding area. The calculator below will help you figure out your BAH based on your rank, time in service, and duty station. You can follow this link to look up your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for your rank and zip code. This will help you create your budget and guide your home search. To learn more about what goes into your military BAH rate, visit our in-depth guide here.
Marine Corps Base Hawaii BarracksUnaccompanied personnel E5 and below will be assigned housing through Bachelor Housing Management. All permanent personnel E5 and below, if single will reside on base in their assigned barracks. MCB Hawaii Unaccompanied Member Housing Reed Road, Bldg 503 MCB Kaneohe Bay, HI 96863 Phone: 1 (808) 257-2409
Camp HM Smith Housing OfficeHousing on Oahu is spread around 12 neighborhoods which are under the control of Marine Corps Base Hawaii. For details of all the ins-and-outs and peculiarities of living on the island, the base website has a handy webpage here that answers some of the questions you might have. Eligibility for housing goes by a priority list:
- FHO is currently only accepting housing applications from Active Duty Personnel.
- Active Duty personnel attached to MCBH with command sponsored dependents.
- Active Duty Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Reserve and Guard Personnel on active duty under Title 32, with command sponsored dependents and who are not attached to MCBH.
- Single Active Duty Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Reserve Guard Personnel on active duty orders under Title 32, with BAH established and who are not attached to MCBH.
- DD Form 1746
Navy:Stamped Orders & Command Sponsorship Letter (not Page 2)
Marine Corps:Detaching Orders & Reporting Endorsement (from S-1)
Air Force:SURF, Orders
Army:ERB (Enlisted)/ORB (Officers), Orders
Coast Guard:CGMI (Member Information), CGBI, Dependency Data Sheet
Reserve/Guard:Active Duty orders under Title 32
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday:0730-1730
MCB Hawaii Housing OptionsThere are twelve neighborhoods on MCB Hawaii located in various areas around the island with various floor plans and amenities. All are pet friendly but there are some breed restrictions and households are limited to two animals. Note: Even though some neighborhoods may include all ranks, only certain units within that neighborhood may be available to certain ranks. Though some neighborhoods are open to all ranks, certain floor plans may be restricted to those of higher rank.
Camp Smith, HI Housing
1. Camp SmithRanks: O6 & E9 Located on Camp Smith, this small and exclusive neighborhood for senior personnel has four bedroom homes with breathtaking ocean and city views. All homes have central air, washer dryers, and dishwashers.
2. Hana LikeRanks: E6-E9 This brand new neighborhood built in 2017 is for senior enlisted personnel and features three and four bedroom townhomes just minutes away from the Exchange, Commissary, and more. It is walking distance to Mokapu Elementary and has beautiful views of the Ko’olau Mountains.
3. Hawaii LoaRanks: E1-E9, O1-O6 Located on a beautiful hillside overlooking MCBH, this neighborhood has three and four bedroom homes, storage space, 1-car garages, and fenced-in yards. All homes have central air and all major appliances. Within walking distance of the base theater, fitness center, elementary school, and community center.
4. HeleloaRanks: O5-O6 This neighborhood features four bedroom historic homes built in 1941 and renovated in 2009 which have panoramic views of North Beach. They have spacious yards, all major appliances, and are in easy walking distance of the Golf Course and Officer’s Club.
5. KaluapuniRanks: O4-O5 This neighborhood of three and four bedroom homes is for field grade officers and features two-car garages, all major appliances, spacious living areas and ocean views.
6. KapohoRanks: O4-O5 This very small neighborhood offers three and five bedroom homes with mountain views. The homes have all major appliances, air conditioning, storage space, and larger lots.
7. MananaRanks: E6-E9, O1-O5 Open to all services, this neighborhood is located in the Pearl City District with excellent access to Pearl City and the H3 Freeway. The homes are three and four bedroom homes and townhouses with fenced-in yards, two-car garages, and full appliances. There is an outdoor pool, community center, tennis courts, and a fitness center.
8. MokoleaRanks: E9 This very small neighborhood for E9s features three and four bedroom homes with all appliances, central air, two-car garages, and fenced-in yards. Located on a hillside overlooking the beautiful Kailua Bay.
9. MololaniRanks: All ranks This neighborhood offers three and four bedroom homes within walking distance of the beach. Conveniently located near parks, pavilions, schools, and shops. All homes have central air, full appliances, two-car garages, lots of storage space, and fenced-in patios.
10. Nani UlupauRanks: O4-O5 This small neighborhood offers four bedroom open concept homes just steps from North Beach. All homes have two-car garages, massive kitchen islands, incredible views, central air, and full appliances. Within easy walking distance of the Exchange, Commissary, food court, elementary school, and shops.
11. Pa HonuaRanks: E1-E5 This very big neighborhood offers three and four bedroom homes and duplexes with mountain views. All homes have central air, private patios, full appliances, and storage space. Within easy walking distance of the elementary school, Exchange, Commissary, and Mokapu Mall.
12. UlupauRanks: All ranks This neighborhood offers three and four bedroom homes just minutes from the beach and with beautiful mountain views. The homes have all major appliances, air conditioning, storage space, and two-car garages. Within easy walking distance of the elementary school, Exchange, Commissary, and Mokapu Mall.
13. WaikuluRanks: All ranks This neighborhood offers three and four bedroom homes with mountain views. The homes have all major appliances, air conditioning, and storage space. These homes are LEED certified to be more energy and environmentally friendly. Within easy walking distance of the elementary school, Exchange, Commissary, and Mokapu Mall.
ConclusionMoving halfway across the Pacific Ocean could be very daunting. Base housing makes things a little easier and more familiar to help your transition and provide you a safe and well maintained place for you and your family. Make sure to always check with the Military Family Housing Office first for any questions in the process. Enjoy living in paradise!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts