FORT HAMILTON HOUSING: 5 ON-POST OPTIONS
By Sean Bess
IntroductionWelcome to your new home at Fort Hamilton, the only active-duty military post in New York City. The post is located in the southwestern corner of one of New York’s most popular boroughs, Brooklyn. Fort Hamilton’s centralized location allows for easy access to three major airports: you are 17 miles from John F. Kennedy International Airport, 17 miles from La Guardia Airport, and 18 miles from Newark Liberty International Airport. We hope this guide is a valuable resource for you as you settle into your new living arrangements in the Fort Hamilton housing communities. You’ll find that your new home has a number of community-focused outdoor features, such as playgrounds and walking trails, which will help you get to know your new neighbors. You will also enjoy easy access to all the amenities that New York City has to offer.
Suggested Read:Fort Hamilton: In-Depth Welcome Center
Fort Hamilton BAHYou can click here if you would like to look up your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for other zip codes. This is a great tool to help you create a budget and guide you through your home search Also, to learn more about your military BAH rate, visit our in-depth guide here.
Hamilton BarracksAt Fort Hamilton, unaccompanied personnel housing is available to soldiers E-5 and below. For more information you can call 718-630-4785. Residential Communities Initiative (RCI) 137 C Poly Place, Suite 2A Brooklyn, NY 11252 Phone: 1 (718) 630-4785
Fort Hamilton Housing OfficeThe Housing Services Office will act as your primary point of contact for any and all questions, concerns, or issues related to your housing at Fort Hamilton, such as discrimination complaints or tenant-landlord disputes. The friendly staff is always happy to assist you as you adjust to your new surroundings. Among other services, the staff can supply you with maps of the area, as well as provide you with additional details about the different residential areas on the base. Fort Hamilton Housing Services Office 128 Wainwright Drive Brooklyn, NY 11252-0000 Phone: (718) 630-4785
Fort Hamilton Housing OptionsMilitary family housing at Fort Hamilton is provided by Balfour Beatty Communities. There are five neighborhoods on the base with single-family, townhome, and apartment-style homes. The five different communities offer a variety of features that will help you feel right at home, including playgrounds, tot lots for younger children, and community events. The neighborhoods also include lawn care services, 24-hour maintenance services, and trash and recycling pick-up. Fort Hamilton Family Homes does allow certain pets, although in most cases there is a two pet limit. However, certain dog breeds and exotic animals are not permitted. All pets must be disclosed and approved by management, and documentation must be on file prior to move-in. If additional pets are acquired after move-in, the resident must alert the community management office and update the pet addendum. For more information about homes and amenities at Fort Hamilton, visit the Balfour Beatty Communities website. Fort Hamilton Family Homes 222A Washington Road Brooklyn, NY 11209 Phone: (718) 333-5815 Hours:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8 am - 5 pm
- Wednesday: 8 am - 7 pm
- Saturday: 10 am - 4 pm
- Sunday: noon - 4 pm
1. Colonels RowRanks: O6 – O10 The Colonels Row neighborhood features homes ranging from 4-6 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. The houses in Colonels Row include large porches, basements with laundry rooms, plenty of space for storage, and fully-equipped kitchens. The neighborhood boasts walking trails, a playground, and nearby restaurants and shops.
2. Doubleday VillageRanks: All ranks; general public The Doubleday Village neighborhood features homes ranging from 3-4 bedrooms and 2 baths. The houses in Doubleday Village include a private balcony, master suite, open floor plan, walk-in closets, plenty of space for storage, central heating and cooling, washer/dryer connections and assigned parking. Doubleday Village is conveniently located near the PX, bowling alley, and a selection of restaurants.
3. Ocean View (Lower)Ranks: E7 – E9; general public The Lower Ocean View neighborhood features homes ranging from 3-4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. The neighborhood is near the fitness center, bowling alley, and a selection of shops on 86th Street in Brooklyn. All of the Lower Ocean View homes feature ceiling fans, a master suite with walk-in closet, central heating and air conditioning, patio/deck, a driveway, and a garage.
4. Ocean View (Upper)Ranks: O1 – O5; W1 – W5; general public The Upper Ocean View neighborhood features townhomes ranging from 3-4 bedrooms and 1.5-2.5 baths. Each townhome includes walk-in closets, plenty of storage space, a fully-equipped kitchen, assigned parking, and a back yard. Multiple transportation routes are just around the corner, including an R train station, bus stops, and the Belt Parkway.
5. Officers RowRanks: O6 – O10 The Officers Row neighborhood boasts ranch-style homes with four bedrooms, central heating and cooling, a fully-equipped kitchen, fireplace, sunroom, washer/dryer connections, two-car garage and a spacious yard. The neighborhood is located close to the R train, basketball court, and walking trails.
ConclusionMoving is often a stressful undertaking, but we hope this information has provided you with some helpful tips and ideas as you plan your move to your new posting at Fort Hamilton. We hope you enjoy your new adventure in Brooklyn, in one of the five great neighborhoods the Fort Hamilton Family Homes community has to offer. Always plan ahead and check availability based on rank and waiting lists through the Fort Hamilton Housing Services Office.
More like this:15 Of the Best Fort Hamilton Things to Do
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts