25 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN MCAS NEW RIVER
IntroductionWelcome to Marine Corps Air Station New River! This spectacular installation sits right on the New River (hence the name) in Jacksonville, North Carolina, and shares the town with MCB Camp Lejeune. All of the amenities and perks of being stationed at Camp Lejeune are shared with MCAS New River. Whether you have just received your Permanent Change of Station Travel Orders (PCS), are in the process of moving, or are already settled into your new home, you may be wondering where the locals go for fun. Well, wonder no more! We have a list of the top things to do in and near MCAS New River. Know what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1-8) Outdoor Recreation (9-14) Pools (15) Golf (16-17) Gyms (18-19) Movie Theater (20-21) Bowling (22-24) Nearby Attractions (25) Museums
Suggested Read:MCAS New River: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, many businesses, venues, and parks may be temporarily closed or operating under restricted hours. Many, if not all, of the ones listed here, are likely subject to such restrictions for the time being though new re-openings and closings occur all the time. Therefore, a place we mention here may not currently be open or available. Check individual websites provided in each section or call to find out each place’s current hours and situation.
Things To Do in MCAS New River
MCAS New River Outdoor Rec
1. New River Recreation CenterMCAS New River Bldg. AS4038 Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-5145 Inside the New River Recreation Center, you can play ping pong, billiards, and foosball. You can enjoy free wifi, computers, and big-screen TVs that include NFL Sunday Ticket™ and UFC. Outside the facility, you can barbecue on the grills, eat at the picnic area, and play horseshoe or sand volleyball. Check the New River Recreation calendar for fun and exciting outdoor events.
2. Extreme Wheels SkateParkMCAS New River AS-612 Agan St Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-0294 The 8500 sq. ft. Skate Park is located next to the Inline Hockey Rink on Agan St. The park is open to all authorized patrons 10 years and up and will be used for both recreational skate and competitions. Highlights in the park are intermediate jumps, grinding rails, and two long runs starting and ending with either quarter pipe or half pipe platforms, culminating in the region’s only super bowl platform.
3. MCAS New River MarinaMCAS New River 2800 Perimeter Rd Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-6578 MCAS New River Marina is the perfect location for wedding ceremonies/receptions, bridal showers, parties, and more! For details, call clubs & catering at 1 (910) 449-6409. The picnic area at New River Marina remains open and motorized boats, kayaks, canoes, and stand-up paddleboards are available for rent. Check the website for updated ramp and boat slip closures.
MCB Camp Lejeune
4. Outdoor AdventuresMCB Camp Lejeune Bldg. 728 Adjacent to Gottschalk Marina Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 451-1440 Outdoor Adventures is your go-to spot for adventure! Find everything you need for fishing, camping, and kayaking. Challenge yourself by learning a new skill like archery and paddleboarding, or by taking a scenic canoe trip. What are you waiting for? Your adventure begins at Outdoor Adventures.
More like this:10 of the Best Military Campgrounds & RV Parks in the United States
5. McIntyre-Parks Recreational Shooting ComplexMCB Camp Lejeune R-100 Range Complex (Old Sawmill Road) Camp Lejeune, NC 28547 Phone: 1 (910) 451-3889 Free basic shotgun safety and archery instruction by Certified Range Safety Officers. At the McIntyre-Parks Recreational Shooting Complex learn how to hold, load, and shoot a shotgun, in addition to the rules of the sport. Here you can also learn to properly hold and shoot a bow. Training bows are available!
6. Pistol RangeMCB Camp Lejeune F-11A Piney Green Road (Near Sneads Ferry Road) Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 451-3889 At the Pistol Range there is an on-site retail store available to purchase ammo, hearing and eye protection, and targets. Authorized MCCS patrons ages 13 and over; ages 13-17 must be under the direct supervision of a parent/guardian. No one under the age of 13 is permitted at the facility. Customers must comply with all base regulations on firearms.
7. Onslow BeachMCB Camp Lejeune BA-275 Beach Road Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 440-7502. Located along the beautiful North Carolina coastline, between the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean aboard Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune. Onslow Beach is the area's best getaway destination. Onslow Beach is open to all authorized DoD ID cardholders with proper base access. There are always things to do at the beach!
8. Gottschalk MarinaMCB Camp Lejeune Bldg. 198, Julian C. Smith Rd. Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone: 1 (910) 451-8307 At Gottschalk Marina, you can launch your own boat or rent one! Be sure to check the website for ramp closures as well as important safety information.
MCAS New River Pool
9. Area 2 Indoor PoolMCB Camp Lejeune Bldg. 236 Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 451-2024 Area 2 Pool, located in building 236, behind the base theater, and offers recreational and lap swimming. This facility is handicap accessible and the pool is equipped with aquatic steps and a chair lift. For more information, please call the number listed above.
10. New River Indoor PoolMCAS New River Bldg. AS-4400 Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-4307 The New River Indoor Pool is for recreation and lap swimming. Check the website or call the number above for hours and information on swim lessons.
11. New River Outdoor Family PoolMCAS New River Bldg. AS-710 Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-6231 Open to all ranks. This seasonal pool is a zero-depth entry pool, geared toward families with small children. The pool has a max depth of 5'5" and is available for private parties during the summer. Water shoes are highly encouraged in the plaster pool. Young children are required to wear swim pants and/or rubber pants.
12. Wallace Creek Indoor PoolWallace Creek Fitness Center at Camp Lejeune Bldg. WC1 Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 450-7649 Wallace Creek Pool is located inside the Wallace Creek Fitness Center and is for lap swimming only. No recreational swimming is allowed. Children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the pool. Children 10-15 must be supervised by an adult (18 years or older) at all times.
13. Paradise Point Officers’ Club PoolOfficer’s Club at Camp Lejeune Bldg. 2615, Seth Williams Blvd. Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 451-1316 Paradise Point Pool is an outdoor pool located at the Officers’ Club. The pool operates during the summer season from Memorial Day through Labor Day and offers recreational swimming and private parties. Open to Officers, SNCOs, their families, and guests. For more information about our Paradise Point Pool, call the number above.
14. Tarawa Terrace PoolCamp Lejeune Corner of TT and Iwo Jima Blvd. Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 450-1610 This outdoor pool is located in the Tarawa Terrace Housing Complex at the corner of Tarawa Terrace and Iwo Jima Blvd. The pool operates during the summer season from Memorial Day through Labor Day and offers aquatic classes, recreational swimming, and private parties. The facility is handicap accessible. For more information concerning this pool please call the number above.
MCAS New River Golf Course
15. Paradise Point Golf CourseMCB Camp Lejeune 2015 Brewster Blvd. Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 451-5445 The Paradise Point Golf Course is located on Brewster Boulevard approximately two miles past the Naval Hospital. The golf course was designed by George Cobb, a world-renowned golf architect, and former Marine. Paradise Point Golf Course has two golf courses, the Scarlet and the Gold. The Scarlet is an 18 hole course with par of 70. The Gold is an 18 hole course with a par of 72. Also available are two driving ranges, one green grass and the other covered with 20 bays. There are three putting greens and a practice field on the premises. To schedule a golf outing or reserve your tee time, call the number above.
MCAS New River Gym
16. MCAS New River Fitness CenterMCAS New River Bldg. AS-4400 Douglass Rd Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-4961 At the MCAS New River Fitness Center, you can work on your cardiovascular health and strength training. This gym features cross trainers, selectorized and plate-loaded machines, Keiser free weight training machines, Jacob’s ladder, versa climber, and functional fitness equipment.
17. Wallace Creek Fitness CenterBldg. WC1 Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 450-7649 The Wallace Creek Fitness Center, where all your fitness dreams come true! This gym boasts 6 multipurpose rooms, 1/8-mile indoor elevated track, and 200ft. outdoor artificial turf training area, a 25m fully accessible indoor pool, a custom-built cycle studio, racquetball courts, and a climbing wall, just to name a few. Whether you’re looking for a pick-up game of basketball or weight training with a professional, this gym has it all. Check the website for a full list of their amenities and hours.
MCAS New River Movie Theater
18. MCAS New River TheaterMCAS New River Bldg. AS-240 Curtis Rd Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone: 1 (910) 449-6292 Who doesn’t enjoy a movie date? So invite that neighbor or take that loved one to a night out at MCAS New River Movie Theater, and don’t forget to order them popcorn!
19. MCB Camp Lejeune TheaterCamp Lejeune Bldg. 19, McHugh Blvd Camp Lejeune, NC 28547
Phone:1 (910) 449-9344 Enjoy 3 dollar movies on certain days at the MCB Camp Lejeune Theater check the website or call the number above for a list of movies and prices.
MCAS New River Bowling Alley
20. New River Bowling CenterMCAS New River Bldg. AS-205, Curtis Road Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-4921 At the New River Bowling Center, you will have a blast with your friends and family during the Extreme Family Fun Nights. Cosmic Fun! Music! Black Light Bowling! Only $25 per lane for 2 hours (up to 5 bowlers; shoes included). Open to all authorized patrons and their guests.
21. Bonnyman Bowling CenterCamp Lejeune Bldg. 89, Molly Pitcher Road Camp Lejeune, NC 28547 Phone: 1 (910) 451-5121 Bowling is a great way to meet new people! At Bonnyman Bowling Center you can enjoy open bowling and eat at the Spare Time Sports Grill. There is plenty of space to perfect your bowling skills and make new friends along the way.
22. MCAS New River Information, Tickets, & Travel (ITT)MCAS New River Bldg. AS-4044 Curtis Road Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 449-6530 For all your theme park, travel, and ticketing needs. All Points Travel has everything you need to plan your next vacation. Special military pricing to many tourist attractions, special events, dinner shows, theme parks, and much more! Plus they have great deals on vacation packages, hotels, and cruises. Stop by for personal service to make the most of your leisure time!
23. Inline Hockey RinkMCAS New River Agan St Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone: 1 (910) 449-0294 The MCAS New River Inline Hockey Rink is equipped with boards and glass around the perimeter, player benches, penalty boxes, score boxes, and lights. This is a regulation-size hockey rink. Stop in year-round for adult and youth pickup games. The Inline Hockey Rink is open to all authorized DoD cardholders, family members, and their guests.
24. Cracked It! Escape Games LLC559 Freedom Way Midway Park, NC 28544 Phone: 1 (910) 353-4434 At Cracked It!, you work as a team to escape a room by solving a series of puzzles and clues to win this interactive game. For 60 exhilarating minutes, you will challenge your friends and family in a fun and competitive way. Great for team building, birthday parties, and meeting new friends. Reserve your escape room online now.
MCAS New River Museums
Camp Gilbert H. Johnson, Jacksonville
25. Montford Point Marine MuseumMontford Point Camp East Wing of building M101 Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone:1 (910) 450-1340 The Montford Point Marine Museum was established to preserve the legacy of the Montford Point Marines. To collect, record, preserve and display, in a museum setting for public education and viewing, the largest collection of photographs, documents, papers, and artifacts, forever capturing the unique history of African American Marines from 1942 to 1949. Call the museum for hours of operation.
More like this:11 Famous War Memorials That Should Be on Every Bucket List
ConclusionThe North Carolina coastline and the temperate weather will have you jumping at the chance for adventure. Between the vast amount of outdoor recreation like camping, hiking, swimming, and boating - you will always find a way to enjoy new and exciting experiences. The close location to the beaches and marinas makes this duty station a desirable one. MCAS New River has so much to offer in beauty and history. Don’t hesitate, the fun awaits you!
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts