13 THINGS TO DO IN NEW LONDON, CT, NEAR THE COAST GUARD ACADEMY
By Rachel Childs
Looking for Things To Do in New London, CT?Done hitting the books at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy? You're in luck! The academy offers a number of recreational opportunities right on campus. And the nearby coastal city of New London and the surrounding region offer even more things to do. Read on to learn about 13 things to do in New London, CT, and other cities near the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
More like this:USCGA In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeSome of the following venues may be closed or have certain restrictions because of COVID-19. Be sure to check out the venue's website or call before your visit for current guidelines and hours of operation.
13 Things To Do in New London, CT, and Nearby Cities
Military Discounts for Nearby Attractions
1. Tickets and TravelLeamy Hall 15 Mohegan Ave. New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 444-8277 Before you venture off campus for an adventure, check out the academy's travel office. This office has discounted tickets to local attractions, as well as national favorites like Walt Disney World, Legoland, Universal Studios, and more. Visit the office's website for a full list of discounted attractions.
Sports and Fitness
2. Coast Guard Academy AthleticsThe Coast Guard Academy has a number of sports and fitness programs for cadets. U.S. Coast Guard Academy softball, baseball, basketball, cross country, football, lacrosse, rowing, sailing, soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, wrestling, and volleyball teams compete in exciting matchups you won't want to miss. Cadets can also participate in non-varsity club sports like ice hockey, pistol, rifle, triathlon, and rugby. Visit the Coast Guard Academy Sports website for more information on the academy's sports teams, tickets for upcoming games, academy athletic facilities, and more.
3. Roland HallHarriet Lane New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 444-8600 Roland Hall houses fitness facilities for cadet-athletes and the entire corps of cadets. The nearly 8,000-square-foot Emlen Tunnell Strength & Conditioning Center in Roland Hall has state-of-the-art equipment and offers stunning views of the Thames River and academy waterfront. The hall also has a pool, an indoor track, tennis courts, a high-ropes course, and an obstacle course.
4. Billard HallHarriet Lane New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 444-8600 Billard Hall features a pool, a weight room, a wrestling room, a cardio fitness room, and the academy's athletic hall of fame.
5. Campus PoolsBillard and Roland Halls Harriet Lane New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 444-8600 Recreational swim is available for cadets at the Billard Hall pool. Staff and faculty may use the Roland Hall pool. For recreational swim hours, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Academy's Sports website.
6. Great Brook Sports850 Gold Star Highway Groton, CT 06340
Phone: 1 (860) 448-0938 The Great Brook Sports complex features a driving range, virtual golf simulators, a miniature golf course, and batting cages. The driving range offers covered and heated bays that allow you to practice your swing year-round. The high-def golf simulators are another way to work on your golf game. If you're more interested in golf of the miniature variety, the 18-hole mini-golf course set on a lush hillside boasts a koi pond and waterfalls. And last, but not least, four batting cages offer different pitching speeds for every batting skill level.
7. Bowling CenterLeamy Hall 15 Mohegan Ave. New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 444-8470 The U.S. Coast Guard Academy's bowling center offers league bowling, special events, and more.
Outdoor Recreation and Parks
8. Equipment Rental CenterJohnson Hall Harriet Lane New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 444-8470 The academy's equipment rental center has everything you need for your next adventure. The center has sporting goods, camping equipment, canoes, kayaks, lawn and garden equipment, tools, and party gear. Visit the center's website for a full list of available equipment and rental fees.
9. New London Recreation Department111 Union St. New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 447-5230 The New London Recreation Department offers programs for all ages. Visit the department's website for information on recreation programs, sports leagues, special events, local parks, playgrounds, sports courts, and more. Be sure to check out local favorite Ocean Beach Park, which features a beautiful beach, a boardwalk, a pool, waterslides, amusement rides, mini-golf, an arcade, a cafe, and more.
10. Marinas and BoatyardsIf you're looking for a place to dock your boat, you have lots of options in this coastal city. Thamesport Marina and Crocker's Boatyard in New London, CT, offer floating docks, fuel, water and power at your slip, and more. Visit their websites for information on availability and pricing.
11. U.S. Coast Guard Academy MuseumWaesche Hall 31 Mohegan Ave. New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 444-8511 The current U.S. Coast Guard Museum boasts an extensive collection of historical U.S. Coast Guard artifacts, including cutter memorabilia, flags, medals, models, uniforms, art, and more. The museum's collection also includes the original 1936 figurehead from the USCGC Eagle. It is one of the largest figureheads found in an American museum. For information on the future National Coast Guard Museum, which will be built in New London, visit the National Coast Guard Museum Association's website.
12. Lyman Allyn Art Museum625 Williams St. New London, CT 06320
Phone: 1 (860) 443-2545 The Lyman Allyn Art Museum celebrates art and history in Connecticut and beyond. The museum features more than 17,000 objects and artworks from Africa, Asia, the Americas, and Europe. The museum also features 12 acres of gardens and lawns as well as a sculpture trail.
13. Niantic Children's Museum409 Main St. Niantic, CT 06357
Phone: 1 (860) 691-1111 The 5,000-square-foot Niantic Children's Museum is for children 9 months to 9 years old. Kids can check out science activities, hands-on exhibits, and imaginative play spaces. Inside, they'll find a fishing boat, fire engine, light lab, seaside village, toddler play space, and more. Then they can head outdoors to climb the tree house, play with giant blocks, zoom down the zipline, and more.
Looking for More Things To Do in New London, CT?If you need even more ideas of things to do in New London, CT, visit the city's official tourism website. Here you can learn about other family-friendly attractions, historical sites, shopping, restaurants, and more in New London, CT.
new london things to do
nsb new london
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts