21 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN FORT BELVOIR
IntroductionYour new posting at Fort Belvoir is surrounded by scenic hikes, historic landmarks, and the Potomac River. At Fort Belvoir, you are only about forty minutes outside of Washington, DC. There’s plenty to do with the whole family, from canoeing on the Potomac to hiking the many nature trails around Belvoir to taking in a little history at Mount Vernon. Fort Belvoir is especially famous as the home of the National Museum of the United States Army. We have organized activities into categories below; click any of them to jump to the section if you already know what you want to do around Fort Belvoir. (1-4) Golfing (5-8) Gyms (9-10) Movie Theaters (11) Pools (12-17) Outdoor Rec (18-21) Museums
Suggested Read:Fort Belvoir: In-Depth Welcome Center
Things to Do Near Fort BelvoirDue to ongoing coronavirus concerns, it is best to call ahead to confirm temporary hours before you go.
Fort Belvoir Golf Course
1. Fort Belvoir Golf Club8450 Beulah St #2920, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone: 1 (703) 806-5878 The PGA professional staff takes great pride in making the Fort Belvoir Golf Club, one of the best military golfing facilities. The facilities include a restaurant grille, clubhouse lounge, and lesson so you can play even if you’re a newbie.
2. Mount Vernon Country Club5111 Old Mill Rd, Alexandria, VA 22309
Phone: 1 (703) 780-8700 Offering beautiful greens and friendly staff, the Mount Vernon Country Club is a great place to tee up. The courses provide a wide range of challenges for golfers of all skill levels.
3. Pohick Bay Golf Course10301 Gunston Rd, Lorton, VA 22079
Phone: 1 (703) 339-8585 Nestled between Gunston Cove and Belmont Bay, Pohick Bay Golf Course is one of Virginia’s most scenic and challenging golf courses.
4. Laurel Hill Golf Club8701 Laurel Crest Dr, Lorton, VA 22079
Phone: 1 (703) 493-8849 Laurel Hill Golf Club is a beautiful 18-hole course with a driving range and classes for all ages and skill levels.
Fort Belvoir Gyms
5. Graves Fitness Center2116 Abbot Rd, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone: 1 (703) 806-5368 Graves Fitness Center is the home of the Fort Belvoir Sports and Fitness Program. Graves gym has everything you need, from free weights to cardiovascular equipment to basketball courts.
6. New Day CrossFit6825-C, Hill Park Dr, Lorton, VA 22079
Phone: 1 (571) 237-6121 New Day CrossFit focuses on strength and conditioning training featuring coaches that provide a workout experience that feels like you constantly have your own personal trainers.
7. Mount Vernon Fitness8459 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22309
Phone: 1 (540) 755-0241 Mount Vernon Fitness has personal training and workout classes, including an Olympic weight lifting training class.
8. Planet Fitness8796 Sacramento Dr, Alexandria, VA 22309
Phone: 1 (703) 347-7764 Planet Fitness offers an all-around balanced experience with machines, free weights, and an experience that lets you go at your own pace.
Fort Belvoir Movie Theater
9. Wood Theater6050 Abbot Rd, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone: 1 (703) 806-5237 The theater at Fort Belvoir offers a rotation of movies mostly showing on Thursday and Sunday.
10. Regal Kingstowne ScreenX & RPX5910 Kingstowne Towne Center, Alexandria, VA 22315
Phone: 1 (844) 462-7342 Plush seats, the latest movies, and a ScreenX theater featuring select movies shown on multiple screens that give you a 270-degree movie experience, Regal Kingstowne is your stop for a memorable movie night.
Fort Belvoir Pool
11. North Post Outdoor Pool8800 Wright Rd, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone: 1 (703) 806-5013 The Fort Belvoir Pool has a year-round facility and two season facilities that offer fitness classes, swim lessons, and plenty of relaxing by the pool.
Fort Belvoir Outdoor Rec
12. Muddy Hole Farm Park7941 Kidd St, Alexandria, VA 22309
Phone: 1 (703) 324-8702 This walk in the park comes with a little bit of history. Muddy Hole Farm Park was one of the five farms that made up the Mount Vernon estate.
13. Pohick Bay Regional Park6501 Pohick Bay Dr, Lorton, VA 22079
Phone: 1 (703) 339-6104 One thousand acres of bayside adventures wait for you at the Pohick Bay Regional Park. Take the kids to the Pirate Bay Water Park, launch your boat or rent canoes to take into the bay, or even stay a little longer with cabin rentals and camping.
14. Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck National Wildlife RefugeHigh Point, Lorton, VA 22079
Phone: 1 (703) 490-4979 Enjoy a day exploring the first wildlife refuge specifically established to protect the Bald Eagle.
15. Pohick Creek Stream Valley ParkOld Keene Mill Rd, Springfield, VA 22152
Phone: 1 (703) 324-8591 Take a hike and escape into the woods for a day. This beautiful trail follows Pohick Creek, and you may even see a fox or two.
16. Lake Mercer9500 Silverbrook Rd, Fairfax Station, VA 22039
Phone: 1 (703) 324-8700 Lake Mercer is surrounded by 154 acres of wilderness that mixes both paved and gravel nature trails.
17. George Washington's Mount Vernon3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Hwy, Mt Vernon, VA 22121
Phone: 1 (703) 780-2000 The historic estate of George Washington features period pieces and a day’s worth of exploring an essential piece of history.
Fort Belvoir Museums
18. Army Museum Fort Belvoir1775 Liberty Dr, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Phone: 1 (800) 506-2672 Celebrating over 240 years of history, the National Museum of the United States Army features exhibits honoring army soldiers, past, present, and future.
19. Art Museum at Workhouse Arts Center9601 Ox Rd, Lorton, VA 22079
Phone: 1 (703) 584-2900 The Art Museum at the Workhouse Arts Center has art ranging from impressionist paintings to modern ceramics from artists worldwide.
20. National Inventors Hall of Fame Museum600 Dulany St, Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 1 (571) 272-0095 A little farther northeast from Fort Belvoir is the National Inventors Hall of Fame. The admission is free to this museum and it’s dedicated to our nation's greatest innovators.
21. Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History10th St. & Constitution Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20560 +1(202) 633-1000 It’s easy to forget that Washington DC is just a 40-minute drive from Fort Belvoir. So how could we not mention one of the branches of the Smithsonian? Featuring world-class exhibits, the Smithsonian is a must-see while stationed at Fort Belvoir.
ConclusionWith Washington DC a short drive away and the beauty of the natural wilderness surrounding you, your posting at Fort Belvoir is sure to create many memories. We hope that this guide has helped you narrow down some day trip options and given you a little more insight into the area immediately surrounding Fort Belvoir. With the number of historic sites in the area, we are sure there is plenty more for you to do than can fit on this list. Don’t forget to ask the locals for their favorite spots, and we hope you find your own near Fort Belvoir.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts